• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2022/23: Winners Declared (contest ended 18th March)

My entry for this week is intended to be a dark ride/coaster hybrid. Imagine a high level of theming as though entering and exploring the narrow, winding tunnels of an old mine shaft. For instance, the pause on the MCBR would be intended as a small show scene before launching off into the next section.

Project Horizon 1.png

Project Horizon 2.png

Type: Vekoma Swinging Mine Train
Length: 1724ft
Height: 46ft
Top speed: 33mph
Inversions: 0
Airtime moments: 1 (according to PlanCo)
Theoretical Throughput: 834pph

Very cool submission @Burbs! It's a really original take on the brief, and overall, I think you've pulled it off very well!

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, may I ask how you lot are taking moving pictures of the game?

Do I need to download one of those newfangled application things?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, may I ask how you lot are taking moving pictures of the game?

Do I need to download one of those newfangled application things?
What do you mean by “moving pictures”, out of interest? Do you mean videos?

If you mean videos; you can download a new recording app, but you don’t necessarily need to. Your opening post indicates that you’re on PC. Therefore, you can press Windows + G in the keyboard and the Game Bar will come up, which allows you to capture videos in game.

Does that help?

On a dark and stormy night at the Towers, a terrible discovery was made. During a routine excavation of the World of Walliams, a beast was discovered lying dormant, the King of the Retrosquad: FUNK!
The now disturbed beast went wild with rage until the Phalanx managed to drop a tin shed (painted in Towers purple of course) on its head, containing the beast, for now...

funk 1.PNGFUNK is a horrendous attempt at fitting a thrill ride into a building not meant for a thrill ride whatsoever, a bit like if Smiler had been plonked in a tin shed instead of a concrete pit. Enjoy!

Name: FUNK
Type: Gerstlauer launched infinity
Length: 1927ft
Height: however tall the building is
Top speed: 45mph
Inversions: 8
Airtime: 4 (1.6s)

On a dark and stormy night at the Towers, a terrible discovery was made. During a routine excavation of the World of Walliams, a beast was discovered lying dormant, the King of the Retrosquad: FUNK!
The now disturbed beast went wild with rage until the Phalanx managed to drop a tin shed (painted in Towers purple of course) on its head, containing the beast, for now...

funk 1.PNGFUNK is a horrendous attempt at fitting a thrill ride into a building not meant for a thrill ride whatsoever, a bit like if Smiler had been plonked in a tin shed instead of a concrete pit. Enjoy!

I really need to learn how to build custom inversions... the in-game ones annoy me with how limited the entries and exits of elements have to be. You always manage to hit the nail on the head!

Cool submission @Archermav! Given your ride isn’t that long in track length, I think you’ve gotten a lot out of it, and it’s a really nice layout, with loads of inversions as well as some fun airtime moments!

The now disturbed beast went wild with rage until the Phalanx managed to drop a tin shed (painted in Towers purple of course) on its head, containing the beast, for now...[/MEDIA]

If there was a vote for best back story, I would be voting the hell out of this. You've got everything here, tin sheds, purple paint, the Phalanx, a nod to temporary funfair flats and "routine excavations". Don't want to start a rumour, but I've never seen you and Towers management in the same place at the same time.....just saying.....

Could this be the biggest revelation since we discovered @JAperson was Batman last year?

If there was a vote for best back story, I would be voting the hell out of this. You've got everything here, tin sheds, purple paint, the Phalanx, a nod to temporary funfair flats and "routine excavations". Don't want to start a rumour, but I've never seen you and Towers management in the same place at the same time.....just saying.....

Could this be the biggest revelation since we discovered @JAperson was Batman last year?
Not true! He didn’t mention WD40

Weekly Digest for Week 3 (19th-25th November 2022)
OK, everybody; we now begin Week 3 of the competition! There are three key points to cover this week, so let's get straight to it!
Round 1 Results
After a week of voting, Round 1's results are now in! I can confirm that I got 10 responses in the Google Form, and the winners of Round 1 are as follows:
The leaderboard for Round 1 (and currently the overall contest) is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Connor982610
2@Poisson2500
3@Archermav2040
4@Burbs1804
5@Matt N1810
6@Matt.GC1600
7@RicketyCricket1220
8@immelmanloop910
9@Thameslink Rail603
10@JAperson000
11@MaxPower000
12@mo237000
Well done, everybody! Now let's get onto Round 2 voting...
Round 2 Voting Stage
We have finished the building stage for Round 2, therefore the voting stage must now begin!

Please vote for your Round 2 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSenHmOJ_hZbGQzG3OcQogSmDrWA2pwJT6xuLBfcAClhNDt6ZA/viewform

Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder.
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. If you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Realism or Originality if you wish. Unlike last year, these nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you wish, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Realism or Originality. Each Realism or Originality nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is a lot more anonymous than the voting process was in the last contest. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can still post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Realism or Originality nominations, like you did last year if you would like to. However, can I please request that the Google Form be your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
Here are the submissions from Round 2, so that you know what you're voting for:

Voting for Round 2 will close on Friday 25th November 2022 at 11:59pm.

Now we've covered voting for Round 2, let's move on to revealing Round 3!
Round 3 Building Stage
Right then; another week means another new round to sink your teeth into! For the Round 3 brief, I thought we'd cover our first international park... Round 3 is Top Thrill Dragster V2 at Cedar Point! The context is as follows:
Cedar Point recently announced the demise of Top Thrill Dragster, their iconic Intamin strata coaster, at 19 years of age. All is not lost, however... a modern revival of Top Thrill Dragster is on the cards. And the park has hired none other than you to mastermind it! It's time for you to show us what you would do with the opportunity to revive this legendary launch coaster! Cedar Point concedes that the ride may be unable to maintain the entirety of its former height and speed due to the constraints of modern launch technologies compared to the original hydraulic launch, but they want height and speed maintained to a large extent. They've also said that the all important launch has got to stay. Furthermore, they've decided that they don't want too many additional bells and whistles detracting from the core ethos of the original ride; they have Maverick covering the turf of "elaborate launch coaster" already. What will your take be on the revival of this iconic ride? Show us!
The constraints for this round are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint of 340m*60m (1,115ft*197ft)
  • Minimum Height 300ft/91m
  • Minimum Speed 100mph/161kph
  • Maximum Length 5,000ft/1,524m
  • Must Contain At Least 1 Launch
For some idea, this is the area of Cedar Point that we are working within (it's the section circled in black and labelled "TTD"):
Top-Thrill-Dragster-Plot.png

I would recommend using Scenario Editor to apply the footprint constraints if you are on PC. As per usual, I have created a Steam Workshop park with the constraints applied that I would be happy for you to download if you struggle to design a scenario yourself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2887751647

As for console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. I know it's not ideal, but it's sadly the best I can offer given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are seemingly available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

As for how to determine your ride height, please use Terrain Relative height markers (the option denoted by the picture of a mountain).

As for what you need to do to submit; please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots, and post them in this thread. You can do a brief description of what your ride is if you wish. If you have any issues with uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to PM me.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The Round 3 submission deadline is Friday 25th November 2022 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. I would be more than happy to facilitate an extension for you if you would like one. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you are happy to forfeit this round and move on after the posted deadline.

OK, then; I think that's all I need to cover for Week 3! If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Good luck with Week 3, everybody... get building for Round 3 and voting for Round 2, folks!

I was about to post at 23:59 that you were late. Then there you were Matt, bang on time.
I always try and post at bang on 12am to ensure punctuality. Most weeks, I assume that I've likely had all the submissions and votes I'm going to get after a certain point on Friday and write the post a few hours prior. Most of the time, I'm sat tapping my watch waiting for 12am to come along! Occasionally, a later submission or vote does keep me on my toes and make the 12am target a bit of a tighter deadline for me, but that's quite rare, from my experience.

I don't like to post before because even though I know that I've likely gotten all the submissions and votes I'm going to get after a certain point on Friday night, I do like to honour my 11:59pm deadline and give people right up until the end of Friday. For clarity, 11:59pm is the last minute in which you can post, and 12am is when the deadline ends and my post will drop (if all goes according to schedule).

Are you OK with everything in terms of Round 3?

I always try and post at bang on 12am to ensure punctuality. Most weeks, I assume that I've likely had all the submissions and votes I'm going to get after a certain point on Friday and write the post a few hours prior. Most of the time, I'm sat tapping my watch waiting for 12am to come along! Occasionally, a later submission or vote does keep me on my toes and make the 12am target a bit of a tighter deadline for me, but that's quite rare, from my experience.

I don't like to post before because even though I know that I've likely gotten all the submissions and votes I'm going to get after a certain point on Friday night, I do like to honour my 11:59pm deadline and give people right up until the end of Friday. For clarity, 11:59pm is the last minute in which you can post, and 12am is when the deadline ends and my post will drop (if all goes according to schedule).

Are you OK with everything in terms of Round 3?
I was yanking your chain Matt. I got home from work just now and it just so happened to be 23:59 when I was reading this thread. I think all of us would be cool if you did all this in the morning if you needed to sleep.

I'm good with round 3, though I'm struggling to think of a ride I can make interesting within those constraints. I'll have to load the game up and give it a go!

I was yanking your chain Matt. I got home from work just now and it just so happened to be 23:59 when I was reading this thread. I think all of us would be cool if you did all this in the morning if you needed to sleep.

I'm good with round 3, though I'm struggling to think of a ride I can make interesting within those constraints. I'll have to load the game up and give it a go!
The 12am posts aren't a problem for me because I'm mostly still up at 12am anyway, particularly on weekend nights.

I won't deny that Round 3 should be a challenging round. I mocked up a test build to test the feasibility of this round as I do with every round I propose (I assure you that this is not my submission; it is simply a tester ride that I build to test whether the constraints are feasible to build a ride within), and it is certainly possible to build a ride within these constraints, but it won't be child's play by any means.

I think the length restriction in particular could present a challenge; 5,000ft sounds long on paper, but when your ride is 300+ft tall and goes 100+mph, the length soon adds up if you want to do anything overly substantial. I actually toyed with whether or not to impose the length restriction, but I thought it might be interesting to try because it would keep our builds from abandoning the ethos of the original ride too much while also testing how well we can utilise a limited length/ride duration, which I've never really done before.

Maybe an amateur question this Matt. But how do we know the speed? As far as I'm aware, the game only gives you this at the end after you've tested the coaster and not whilst building?

Maybe an amateur question this Matt. But how do we know the speed? As far as I'm aware, the game only gives you this at the end after you've tested the coaster and not whilst building?
That is true, but you can build the section you expect to be the ride’s fastest point and test it before building the rest to get an idea of your top speed.

You can also adjust the launch speed of your launch if the end of the launch track is where your top speed is expected to be.

I really need to learn how to build custom inversions... the in-game ones annoy me with how limited the entries and exits of elements have to be. You always manage to hit the nail on the head!

If the building system was like NL2 it'd be so much easier. You've just got to get a vague shape and smooth and tweak the hell out of it on PC