• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2022/23: Winners Declared (contest ended 18th March)

Very sorry it's so late, but I've finally managed to post my round 8 submission. Due to how unacceptably late it is, I'll call it Late Submission.

Great Round 8 submission @Matt.GC! Your ride looks smooth, packed with airtime, and very well-paced given how long it is!

On a side note, I can confirm to you all that I have decided to run Round 8 Voting during Week 10, in unison with Round 9 Voting. I apologise for the delay, but I decided that it would not be fair to give you all only 2 days to vote for your Round 8 favourites. If anyone has any major objection to that, though, I am more than happy to reconsider.

It's not smooth, but that was a lot of track to fit into such a tight space. It's also befitting somewhat of the ride type.

Strapped for cash due to all the ice shows, Blackpool bought a Gerstlauer. Ever wondered how much track and how many inversions you can fit on a tight plot? No, no one does, but I'm an idiot so I had a go.

It has 11 airtime moments (most of which were not really intentional) and 9 inversions which are all custom (but some not particularly very good). It runs 6 trains.

Tom & Jerry's crazy chase.

Great submission @Thameslink Rail! Your ride utilises the space incredibly well, and it has some fun-looking airtime moments and inversions!
It's not smooth, but that was a lot of track to fit into such a tight space. It's also befitting somewhat of the ride type.

Strapped for cash due to all the ice shows, Blackpool bought a Gerstlauer. Ever wondered how much track and how many inversions you can fit on a tight plot? No, no one does, but I'm an idiot so I had a go.

It has 11 airtime moments (most of which were not really intentional) and 9 inversions which are all custom (but some not particularly very good). It runs 6 trains.

Tom & Jerry's crazy chase.

Great submission @Matt.GC! You've crammed a huge amount of track into the space, and your ride has some very nice-looking airtime moments and custom inversions!

I don't understand how I even made this...

wild mous XXXXL.PNG

In a late-night, terribly drunk state, Mandy decides that BPB needs to take back the height record. Using the only plot available, they develop this 310ft tall monstrosity... Wild Mouse XXXXL...

I don't understand how I even made this...

wild mous XXXXL.PNG

In a late-night, terribly drunk state, Mandy decides that BPB needs to take back the height record. Using the only plot available, they develop this 310ft tall monstrosity... Wild Mouse XXXXL...

Great submission @Archermav! 310ft is an incredibly impressive height given how tiny the area is, and youā€™ve pulled off some really fun-looking custom inversions!

Week 10 Weekly Digest (7th-13th January 2023)
OK, folks; Week 10 is now upon us! The things I have to go through this week are slightly different, so let's get straight to it!
Round 8 and Round 9 Voting
Both Round 8 and Round 9 are being voted upon this week.

As I previously explained, Round 8 Voting has been delayed to this week due to an extension request. I apologise for the delay.

Nevertheless, Round 8 Voting is now open! Please vote for your Round 8 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeVVNdbrfgVdxV6kQlBTOC_RmCam81M5GfLNjr2KxZ--M3V_Q/viewform

Just as a reminder, here are the Round 8 submissions:

As Round 9 has just ended, those submissions also need voting on.

Please vote for your Round 9 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfZLG_YrTWDdD2tB1ZJEaLp6t6FxvBnJB8OSmP2nDC1MfFzSQ/viewform

To give you a reminder of what you're voting for, here are the Round 9 submissions:

For both rounds, let me just remind you of a few things with regard to the general voting process:
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. If you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Realism or Originality if you wish. Unlike last year, these nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you wish, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Realism or Originality. Each Realism or Originality nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is a lot more anonymous than the voting process was in the last contest. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can still post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Realism or Originality nominations, like you did last year if you would like to. However, can I please request that the Google Form be your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
The deadline for both Round 8 Voting and Round 9 Voting is Friday 13th January 2023 at 11:59pm.

Now that everything is cleared up with regard to voting, let's move onto Round 10...
Round 10 Building
Now that Round 9 is done, it's time for a new round. With that in mind, it's high time I revealed Round 10! The Round 10 brief is... Crazy Bats Reloaded at Phantasialand! The context for this round is as follows:
In recent years, Phantasialand has been producing some brilliant attractions. Lands like Klugheim and Rookburgh are widely considered to have immeasurably improved the park, and guests are loving the way things are headed at Phantasialand! However, the park are conscious that a key coaster is getting left behind by these new developments; Crazy Bats, the park's 1980s enclosed coaster, is widely considered by guests to be dated and in need of an overhaul or replacement. Seeing as even VR struggled to spice up the ride a few years back, the park has decided to go for the nuclear option of demolishing the ride entirely, and they've enlisted you to devise a replacement. The building isn't the tallest, and due to the Fantassima dining hall and Hollywood Tour being located below, you can't dig down. But other than that, Phantasialand have given you carte blanche to build whatever you want within the space! What will you do with this building?

The round constraints are as follows:
  • Must Fit Within Crazy Bats Building ((52m*88m/171ft*289ft)+(28m*68m/92ft*223ft) Building Area, 59ft/18m Building Height)
  • No Terraforming Allowed
The area of Phantasialand we're building within is as follows:
Crazy-Bats-Plot.png

As with the Project Horizon round back in Round 2, I will require you to build within a building rather than a template like you build within in most rounds. This building has been designed to roughly parallel the real Crazy Bats building. I could not devise a building with the exact same dimensions and shape due to Planet Coaster's lack of support for diagonal walls, but I had a stab at devising a building that approximately matches the dimensions of the real one. In case you're wondering, I extrapolated the 18m building height from a statistic quoting the Crazy Bats building volume as 120,000 cubic metres.

If you are on PC, I have constructed a pre-built building template for you to build within that can be downloaded via the following Steam Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2912584694

If you are on console, I regret to inform you that I cannot provide you with a pre-built template, as Steam Workshop cannot be accessed on a console. I apologise for the inconvenience. All is not lost, however, as I have provided a step-by-step tutorial showing how to construct the building yourself.

This can be accessed in the form of a video where I show myself building the building so that you can build along with me (I apologise if it's a bit crude...): https://youtu.be/EoDCsLTu7tM

This can also be accessed in the form of a Google Doc showing written instructions with accompanying pictures, if you prefer written instructions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mqEXR8wCk2LeggI_iv-16EOJ38WGzag2gODqTVp6PQg/edit?usp=sharing

To determine your ride height, please use Terrain Relative height markers (the option denoted by the picture of a mountain).

As for what you need to do to submit; please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots, and post them in this thread. You can do a brief description of what your ride is if you wish. If you have any issues with uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to PM me.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The Round 10 submission deadline is Friday 13th January 2023 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. I would be more than happy to facilitate an extension for you if you would like one. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you are happy to forfeit this round and move on after the posted deadline.

So, that's everything for Week 10! If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Good luck, everybody... get building for Round 10 and voting for Rounds 8 and 9, folks!
P.S. I apologise for the fact that the later videos in this post are hidden within URLs rather than being embedded media pieces within the post. The forum would not let me post a post with more than 10 embedded pieces of media.

OK, folks; Week 10 is now upon us! The things I have to go through this week are slightly different, so let's get straight to it!
Round 8 and Round 9 Voting
Both Round 8 and Round 9 are being voted upon this week.

As I previously explained, Round 8 Voting has been delayed to this week due to an extension request. I apologise for the delay.

Nevertheless, Round 8 Voting is now open! Please vote for your Round 8 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeVVNdbrfgVdxV6kQlBTOC_RmCam81M5GfLNjr2KxZ--M3V_Q/viewform

Just as a reminder, here are the Round 8 submissions:

As Round 9 has just ended, those submissions also need voting on.

Please vote for your Round 9 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfZLG_YrTWDdD2tB1ZJEaLp6t6FxvBnJB8OSmP2nDC1MfFzSQ/viewform

To give you a reminder of what you're voting for, here are the Round 9 submissions:

For both rounds, let me just remind you of a few things with regard to the general voting process:
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. If you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Realism or Originality if you wish. Unlike last year, these nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you wish, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Realism or Originality. Each Realism or Originality nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is a lot more anonymous than the voting process was in the last contest. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can still post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Realism or Originality nominations, like you did last year if you would like to. However, can I please request that the Google Form be your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
The deadline for both Round 8 Voting and Round 9 Voting is Friday 13th January 2023 at 11:59pm.

Now that everything is cleared up with regard to voting, let's move onto Round 10...
Round 10 Building
Now that Round 9 is done, it's time for a new round. With that in mind, it's high time I revealed Round 10! The Round 10 brief is... Crazy Bats Reloaded at Phantasialand! The context for this round is as follows:

The round constraints are as follows:
  • Must Fit Within Crazy Bats Building ((52m*88m/171ft*289ft)+(28m*68m/92ft*223ft) Building Area, 59ft/18m Building Height)
  • No Terraforming Allowed
The area of Phantasialand we're building within is as follows:
Crazy-Bats-Plot.png

As with the Project Horizon round back in Round 2, I will require you to build within a building rather than a template like you build within in most rounds. This building has been designed to roughly parallel the real Crazy Bats building. I could not devise a building with the exact same dimensions and shape due to Planet Coaster's lack of support for diagonal walls, but I had a stab at devising a building that approximately matches the dimensions of the real one. In case you're wondering, I extrapolated the 18m building height from a statistic quoting the Crazy Bats building volume as 120,000 cubic metres.

If you are on PC, I have constructed a pre-built building template for you to build within that can be downloaded via the following Steam Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2912584694

If you are on console, I regret to inform you that I cannot provide you with a pre-built template, as Steam Workshop cannot be accessed on a console. I apologise for the inconvenience. All is not lost, however, as I have provided a step-by-step tutorial showing how to construct the building yourself.

This can be accessed in the form of a video where I show myself building the building so that you can build along with me (I apologise if it's a bit crude...): https://youtu.be/EoDCsLTu7tM

This can also be accessed in the form of a Google Doc showing written instructions with accompanying pictures, if you prefer written instructions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mqEXR8wCk2LeggI_iv-16EOJ38WGzag2gODqTVp6PQg/edit?usp=sharing

To determine your ride height, please use Terrain Relative height markers (the option denoted by the picture of a mountain).

As for what you need to do to submit; please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots, and post them in this thread. You can do a brief description of what your ride is if you wish. If you have any issues with uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to PM me.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The Round 10 submission deadline is Friday 13th January 2023 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. I would be more than happy to facilitate an extension for you if you would like one. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you are happy to forfeit this round and move on after the posted deadline.

So, that's everything for Week 10! If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Good luck, everybody... get building for Round 10 and voting for Rounds 8 and 9, folks!
P.S. I apologise for the fact that the later videos in this post are hidden within URLs rather than being embedded media pieces within the post. The forum would not let me post a post with more than 10 embedded pieces of media.
Not sure about anyone else but there's no content at all in your post in the thread but when I reply and quote it as above it appears?

Not sure about anyone else but there's no content at all in your post in the thread but when I reply and quote it as above it appears?
How bizarre... I tried looking at the thread on both my PC and my iPad, and it displays correctly for me.

How bizarre... I tried looking at the thread on both my PC and my iPad, and it displays correctly for me.
I use Tapatalk so that might be the problem? Just thought I'd call it out unless it's the same for anyone else. I can see your reply above fine but my post to you hasn't come up either? How strange.

472b265627129b26e443b8b0ff015ed5.jpg

I use Tapatalk so that might be the problem? Just thought I'd call it out unless it's the same for anyone else. I can see your reply above fine but my post to you hasn't come up either? How strange.

Maybe it's a Tapatalk error? I can see both my original post and your reply fine myself... maybe that's a problem to raise with the site team?

Last edited:

It probably is a Tapatalk problem because I can see it fine and I don't use Tapatalk.

Yup it's a Tapatalk issue, presumably because the post is so large it refuses to display it. Not a lot we can do about it unfortunately though as it's the app itself doing it since the site displays fine.

Sorrry to go off topic slightly but one week Matt, can we have a news style video counting down the submissions for the week? Weedly digest sounds like a BBC news programme or something.
Anyway I need to apologise for not submitting anything this year, I've had PC trouble and have also been quite busy. I have been voting though, and will continue to do so.

Sorrry to go off topic slightly but one week Matt, can we have a news style video counting down the submissions for the week? Weedly digest sounds like a BBC news programme or something.
I could have a go one week if you would like, but Iā€™m unsure whether it would be feasible given the practically non-existent turnaround between a round ending and the next Weekly Digest being posted. I normally write the Weekly Digest and concoct the Google Forms a few hours before the deadline, while the round is technically still open, and I have noticed that some weeks, you do get some eleventh-hour submissions coming in 15 minutes or less before the deadline.

When I simply need to add these submissions to a list within the Weekly Digest and add them to a Google Form, this takes no time at all. But if I had to add that extra submission onto the end of a nicely edited video, then it would take a good few minutes to properly edit that submission into the video. Then youā€™ve got the issue of uploading the video; on my wi-fi, it would then probably take a good 3 or 4 hours to upload a combined video of everyoneā€™s submissions to YouTube. This would then delay the Weekly Digest a fair amount and stop people from beginning that weekā€™s activities.

Iā€™ll admit that that is a cool idea, but with how I run the rounds, Iā€™m unsure if I would be able to pull it off.

Do you get where Iā€™m coming from?

I could have a go one week if you would like, but Iā€™m unsure whether it would be feasible given the practically non-existent turnaround between a round ending and the next Weekly Digest being posted. I normally write the Weekly Digest and concoct the Google Forms a few hours before the deadline, while the round is technically still open, and I have noticed that some weeks, you do get some eleventh-hour submissions coming in 15 minutes or less before the deadline.

When I simply need to add these submissions to a list within the Weekly Digest and add them to a Google Form, this takes no time at all. But if I had to add that extra submission onto the end of a nicely edited video, then it would take a good few minutes to properly edit that submission into the video. Then youā€™ve got the issue of uploading the video; on my wi-fi, it would then probably take a good 3 or 4 hours to upload a combined video of everyoneā€™s submissions to YouTube. This would then delay the Weekly Digest a fair amount and stop people from beginning that weekā€™s activities.

Iā€™ll admit that that is a cool idea, but with how I run the rounds, Iā€™m unsure if I would be able to pull it off.

Do you get where Iā€™m coming from?
Matt I was only joking, it just reads like a script for a TV or radio news reel. But yes I get where your coming from, and I doubt you'd have the time in the turnaround to get it done anyway. But it would be cool.