Week 12 Weekly Digest (21st-27th January 2023)
OK, folks; Week 12 is now here! I've got three things to cover, so let's get straight to it!
Round 10 Results
After a week of voting, Round 10's results are now in! I can confirm that I got 5 responses
in the Google Form, and the winners of Round 10 are as follows:
The leaderboard for Round 10 is as follows:
As such, the leaderboard for the overall contest so far is as follows:
Great round, everybody! Now let's move onto Round 11 voting...
Round 11 Voting
Our Round 11 submissions are ready and built. Therefore, the voting stage must now begin!
Please vote for your Round 11 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe17sLR7PzHp-Aw6Ak9KGauWw5bNS9GD6spWcaSgLeDRx5JuQ/viewform
Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder.
- If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. If you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
- You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Realism or Originality if you wish. Unlike last year, these nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you wish, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Realism or Originality. Each Realism or Originality nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point.
- Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
- Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
- Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
- I know that this form of voting is a lot more anonymous than the voting process was in the last contest. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can still post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Realism or Originality nominations, like you did last year if you would like to. However, can I please request that the Google Form be your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
Here are the Round 11 submissions so that you know what you're voting for:
- Zenith, a B&M giga coaster by @Matt N:
- Unnamed Mack Rides giga coaster by @Connor98:
- Unnamed B&M Wing Coaster by @Poisson:
- American Widow Maker 235, an Intamin Wing Coaster by @Matt.GC:
- Skyrusherionaces 315, an Intamin Wing Coaster by @RicketyCricket:
- 1923, a Mack Rides giga coaster by @mo237:
- Dizzy Dummies, a Mack Rides spinning coaster by @Thameslink Rail:
The deadline for Round 11 voting is Friday 27th January 2023 at 11:59pm
Now I've covered Round 11 voting, let's move onto the reveal of Round 12...
Round 12 Building
Now that Round 11 is over and done with, it's about time we had a new round to sink our teeth into. With that in mind, I think I need to reveal Round 12! The Round 12 brief is... Starter Thrill Coaster for Paultons Park
! The context for this round is as follows:
In recent years, Paultons Park have arguably mastered family coasters. With rides like Storm Chaser and Flight of the Pterosaur, the park now has the family coaster market pretty well covered, so they've decided to step it up a gear for their next coaster installation. Paultons have hired none other than you to design them a slightly more thrilling coaster than their current crop. The park have given you the empty plot near to Cobra and Edge to work with, and while they want a more thrilling coaster, they don't want to go too overboard. Also, many of the park's current coasters are firmly on the shorter side, so they'd like you to push the boat out a little more in terms of length with this one. What starter thrill coaster will you concoct for Paultons Park?
The round constraints are as follows:
- Maximum Footprint 119m*87m/390ft*285ft
- Maximum Height 82ft/25m
- Minimum Speed 40mph/64kph
- Maximum Speed 55mph/89kph
- Minimum Length 2,000ft/610m
For some context, the area of Paultons we're working with is as follows (it's circled in black and labelled "Paultons"):
I would recommend using Scenario Editor to apply the footprint constraints if you are on PC. As per usual, I have created a Steam Workshop park with the constraints applied that I would be happy for you to download if you struggle to design a scenario yourself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2917975062
As for console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. I know it's not ideal, but it's sadly the best I can offer given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are seemingly available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.
As for how to determine your ride height, please use Terrain Relative height markers (the option denoted by the picture of a mountain).
As for what you need to do to submit; please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots, and post them in this thread. You can do a brief description of what your ride is if you wish. If you have any issues with uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to PM me.
May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest
. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout
should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.
The Round 12 submission deadline is Friday 27th January 2023 at 11:59pm
. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. I would be more than happy to facilitate an extension for you if you would like one. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you are happy to forfeit this round and move on after the posted deadline
So, that's everything for Week 12! If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
Good luck, everybody... get building for Round 12 and voting for Round 11, folks!