• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2022/23: Winners Declared (contest ended 18th March)

Indroducing my round 11 submission, The worlds longest rollercoaster and worlds first Mack Giga.

Model - Mack Giga
Height - 312ft
Length - 8415ft
Top Speed - 94mph
Duration - 158s
Airtime moments - 21
Inversions - 5

From: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFH5-cq4Cs4&ab_channel=ConnorSheridan

Excellent submission @Connor98! Your ride is packed with airtime and contains some awesome custom inversions!
So....KBF is lacking a Wing Coaster. Until now.....

1673809221200.png

1673809956830.png

1673809283819.png

The world's first coaster to breach the 500ft mark (504ft) and the first beyond vertical drop on a wing coaster. Also the world's longest coaster excluding alpine coasters at 12446ft long and takes the inversion record at 15 inversions. 1536pph throughput.

1673809387932.png

A POV of the madness:

Great submission @Poisson! The scale of your ride is quite something, and it looks great fun, with some interesting inversions and surprising pops of airtime in places!

Runs 4 trains. I went for Airtime with this and managed 20 airtime moments and 32 seconds of airtime. I had a go at replicating the famous and now removed heartline on Maverick.

Since it's America and this is Cedar Fair it needs a very silly name so I'll call it American Widow Maker 235.

4900bf8342aecb38b71909afcbeb09e7.jpg
dbc9f21b4b462ec86519b18adc7c1396.jpg

Skyrusherionaces 315
Intamin Giga/Wing
Length - 8400ft
Height - 315ft
Speed - 94mph

Gone for a bit of a showcase of all the best Intamin Hypers. Hence the name.

Skyrush inspired powerful airtime hills, Hyperion turnaround, Flying Aces non inverting loop, Intimidator 305 tight turns and colour scheme.

Runs 4 trains. I went for Airtime with this and managed 20 airtime moments and 32 seconds of airtime. I had a go at replicating the famous and now removed heartline on Maverick.

Since it's America and this is Cedar Fair it needs a very silly name so I'll call it American Widow Maker 235.

4900bf8342aecb38b71909afcbeb09e7.jpg
dbc9f21b4b462ec86519b18adc7c1396.jpg

Excellent submission @Matt.GC! Your ride is obscene in scale and really long, while also containing absolutely stacks of airtime!
Skyrusherionaces 315
Intamin Giga/Wing
Length - 8400ft
Height - 315ft
Speed - 94mph

Gone for a bit of a showcase of all the best Intamin Hypers. Hence the name.

Skyrush inspired powerful airtime hills, Hyperion turnaround, Flying Aces non inverting loop, Intimidator 305 tight turns and colour scheme.

Great submission @RicketyCricket! You've managed to get loads of airtime in there while also integrating some interesting custom inversions and turns!

On a side note, folks; we are now over half way through Week 11.

I have only had 1 response to the Round 10 Voting form so far, and that is my own. If you would like to vote for your Round 10 favourites, please do so via this Google Form link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScw67VPgJ1oGNQpXb22Eko5v4QRwIaxbKTmJlsUyrUTWBwGeA/viewform

We have had 5 submissions for Round 11 so far, including my own. If you would like a deadline extension for Round 11, please notify me before the deadline and I would be happy to facilitate one for you. If you have any issues with uploading videos or anything at all, get in touch with me and I would be very happy to solve these issues for you. If you do not get into contact with me before the deadline, I will assume that you are happy forfeiting this round and move on.

Consider me fashionably late to the competition...

Decided to do a really really funky giga, but take a bit of inspiration from the park it'd be going to- this is 1923 (celebrating the parks 100th anniversary!).

Height: 300ft
Length: 1883m
Speed: 91mph
Positive G Spike: +6
Negative G Spike: -2.3
Inversions: 5 (Snake Dive Pt. 1 + 2, Vertical Loop, Clothoid Loop, Heartline Roll)
Throughput: 1500+

Take note of the "Celebratory Centrepiece", being a big drop and two loops - one more modern, one more old-fashioned - coloured in yellowy gold, to vaguely resemble a giant 100 for the parks birthday. It also has the world's tallest inversion, standing at 275ft.

493340_20230118174522_1.png

493340_20230118174422_1.png

493340_20230118174501_1.png

493340_20230118174611_1.png

493340_20230118175344_1.png

Last edited:
Consider me fashionably late to the competition...

Decided to do a really really funky giga, but take a bit of inspiration from the park it'd be going to- this is 1923 (celebrating the parks 100th anniversary!).

Height: 300ft
Length: 1883m
Speed: 91mph
Positive G Spike: +6
Negative G Spike: -2.3
Inversions: 5 (Snake Dive Pt. 1 + 2, Vertical Loop, Clothoid Loop, Heartline Roll)
Throughput: 1500+

Take note of the "Celebratory Centrepiece", being a big drop and two loops - one more modern, one more old-fashioned - coloured in yellowy gold, to vaguely resemble a giant 100 for the parks birthday.

493340_20230118174522_1.png

493340_20230118174422_1.png

493340_20230118174501_1.png

493340_20230118174611_1.png

493340_20230118175344_1.png

Cool submission @mo237! Your ride looks awesome, and has a great blend of fun-looking airtime moments and interesting inversions!

Week 12 Weekly Digest (21st-27th January 2023)
OK, folks; Week 12 is now here! I've got three things to cover, so let's get straight to it!
Round 10 Results
After a week of voting, Round 10's results are now in! I can confirm that I got 5 responses in the Google Form, and the winners of Round 10 are as follows:
The leaderboard for Round 10 is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@RicketyCricket1710
2@Connor981423
3@Poisson1301
4@Matt N1110
5@Thameslink Rail1101
6@Matt.GC910
7@Archermav000
8@Burbs000
9@immelmanloop000
10@JAperson000
11@MaxPower000
12@mo237000
As such, the leaderboard for the overall contest so far is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Connor98140133
2@Matt.GC140111
3@Poisson126115
4@Archermav118101
5@Matt N11480
6@RicketyCricket10666
7@Thameslink Rail89314
8@Burbs4808
9@immelmanloop910
10@JAperson000
11@MaxPower000
12@mo237000
Great round, everybody! Now let's move onto Round 11 voting...
Round 11 Voting
Our Round 11 submissions are ready and built. Therefore, the voting stage must now begin!

Please vote for your Round 11 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe17sLR7PzHp-Aw6Ak9KGauWw5bNS9GD6spWcaSgLeDRx5JuQ/viewform

Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder.
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. If you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Realism or Originality if you wish. Unlike last year, these nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you wish, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Realism or Originality. Each Realism or Originality nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is a lot more anonymous than the voting process was in the last contest. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can still post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Realism or Originality nominations, like you did last year if you would like to. However, can I please request that the Google Form be your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
Here are the Round 11 submissions so that you know what you're voting for:
  • Zenith, a B&M giga coaster by @Matt N:
  • Unnamed Mack Rides giga coaster by @Connor98:
  • Unnamed B&M Wing Coaster by @Poisson:
  • American Widow Maker 235, an Intamin Wing Coaster by @Matt.GC:
  • Skyrusherionaces 315, an Intamin Wing Coaster by @RicketyCricket:
  • 1923, a Mack Rides giga coaster by @mo237:
  • Dizzy Dummies, a Mack Rides spinning coaster by @Thameslink Rail:

The deadline for Round 11 voting is Friday 27th January 2023 at 11:59pm.

Now I've covered Round 11 voting, let's move onto the reveal of Round 12...
Round 12 Building
Now that Round 11 is over and done with, it's about time we had a new round to sink our teeth into. With that in mind, I think I need to reveal Round 12! The Round 12 brief is... Starter Thrill Coaster for Paultons Park! The context for this round is as follows:
In recent years, Paultons Park have arguably mastered family coasters. With rides like Storm Chaser and Flight of the Pterosaur, the park now has the family coaster market pretty well covered, so they've decided to step it up a gear for their next coaster installation. Paultons have hired none other than you to design them a slightly more thrilling coaster than their current crop. The park have given you the empty plot near to Cobra and Edge to work with, and while they want a more thrilling coaster, they don't want to go too overboard. Also, many of the park's current coasters are firmly on the shorter side, so they'd like you to push the boat out a little more in terms of length with this one. What starter thrill coaster will you concoct for Paultons Park?
The round constraints are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint 119m*87m/390ft*285ft
  • Maximum Height 82ft/25m
  • Minimum Speed 40mph/64kph
  • Maximum Speed 55mph/89kph
  • Minimum Length 2,000ft/610m
For some context, the area of Paultons we're working with is as follows (it's circled in black and labelled "Paultons"):
Paultons-Park-Plot.png

I would recommend using Scenario Editor to apply the footprint constraints if you are on PC. As per usual, I have created a Steam Workshop park with the constraints applied that I would be happy for you to download if you struggle to design a scenario yourself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2917975062

As for console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. I know it's not ideal, but it's sadly the best I can offer given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are seemingly available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

As for how to determine your ride height, please use Terrain Relative height markers (the option denoted by the picture of a mountain).

As for what you need to do to submit; please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots, and post them in this thread. You can do a brief description of what your ride is if you wish. If you have any issues with uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to PM me.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The Round 12 submission deadline is Friday 27th January 2023 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. I would be more than happy to facilitate an extension for you if you would like one. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you are happy to forfeit this round and move on after the posted deadline.

So, that's everything for Week 12! If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

Good luck, everybody... get building for Round 12 and voting for Round 11, folks!

Once again Matt I’d like like to say thank you for running this competition as we run towards the final stages! The effort you put into it is much appreciated.

Once again Matt I’d like like to say thank you for running this competition as we run towards the final stages! The effort you put into it is much appreciated.
Not a problem at all! I enjoy running this contest for you all, and to be honest, I'm personally quite happy with how everything seems to have gone so far (if I do say so myself...)!

On a side note, I'd be curious to know; now that we're 12 weeks in, what are you guys thinking to the contest so far? Are you enjoying it? Do you have any particular grievances or concerns?

I'll ask for feedback properly at the end of the contest like I did last time, but if any of you have any feedback at this point, I'd be very happy to hear it!

I'm liking the imagination you've put into the challenges Matt and the new pace which is bang on. I agree with @Connor98, you're a great host who puts a lot of effort in.

The only thing I miss is the public voting. It opened up discussion and the thread felt more lively and fun and was a nice positive sanctuary to be in away from the drudgery of things like the Duel thread (there's only so many times "I'm hoping that most of the original Haunted House props and theming are being kept" can be discussed). But then I wholly understand that Google Forms significantly reduces your workload Matt and that you're probably a busy man with stuff like uni.

I'm liking the imagination you've put into the challenges Matt and the new pace which is bang on. I agree with @Connor98, you're a great host who puts a lot of effort in.

The only thing I miss is the public voting. It opened up discussion and the thread felt more lively and fun and was a nice positive sanctuary to be in away from the drudgery of things like the Duel thread (there's only so many times "I'm hoping that most of the original Haunted House props and theming are being kept" can be discussed). But then I wholly understand that Google Forms significantly reduces your workload Matt and that you're probably a busy man with stuff like uni.
Thanks for the feedback @Matt.GC; I really appreciate it!

That's definitely a fair criticism. I had a feeling that Google Forms voting might be a polarising decision, and I can absolutely see why you don't particularly like it.

In all honesty, there were a multitude of reasons why I adopted Google Forms voting for this year. I would be lying if I said that ease of data processing from my end was not one of them, as it has made my life significantly easier in that regard, but there were numerous other reasons as well. It has made the scores a lot more precise and less likely to be wrong (you'd be appalled at how imprecise some of my score calculations were in the first contest... they were often done by me reading manually through the thread and doing mental arithmetic on my fingers, or perhaps using a calculator if you were particularly lucky); the previous method had a much higher potential for error than the current method, as me reading through the thread manually may miss things or remember things incorrectly, whereas the form misses nothing. Not to mention that my mental arithmetic probably left much to be desired after a day at university, whereas I now have a spreadsheet that does all of the calculations for me with perfect accuracy. I did also wonder whether anonymous voting might add an extra element of fun and suspense to the contest, and perhaps make things a tad more interesting. Furthermore, I also wondered whether it might make it easier for a wider range of folks to vote (for instance, people who aren't necessarily competing may find it easier to vote within the Form, and people who don't necessarily want to write a whole long post in the thread each week).

I can absolutely see why public voting may have been preferred, however, and if the Google Forms voting is really unpopular, that is something I will take into account for the next contest.

For those who prefer public voting, though, I would like to remind you that the option is still there for you to post your votes publicly within the thread. I admit that I have communicated that quite poorly up to this point (it's technically mentioned in the Voting section of the Weekly Digest every week, but I appreciate that that is probably easily missed within the giant sea of text...), but the option is still there and always has been from the beginning. I would like Google Forms to be your primary port of call for voting each week, and I will only count votes cast within the Google Form (as it is impossible for me to tell whether someone posting in the thread has already voted in the form or not), but Google Forms does not have to be your only port of call for voting. If you would still like to post your votes within the thread, you are still allowed to by all means!

For me I much prefer the ease of the google voting form. It’s much better how it colates all the videos to watch and saves time writing a post. Also I think it may encourage more people who are not in the competition to vote.

OK, folks; I now have a Round 12 submission ready! Say hello to... Splinter, a GCI wooden coaster:
Splinter-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Splinter
  • Manufacturer: Great Coasters International
  • Model: Wooden Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 76ft/23m
  • Speed: 45mph/72kph
  • Length: 2,264ft/690m
  • Inversions: 0
  • Airtime Moments: 6
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 3.6G (overall), 3G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1G (overall), -0.2G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 2 trains with 8 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 778pph (~49 trains per hour, 1 train every ~1m 14s)
If you'd like to play with Splinter for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2921400238

So that's Splinter, my Round 12 submission! I really hope you like it!

Paultons desperately need capacity as well as something more thrilling. Vekoma Mine Train ticks all the boxes. 1530pph possible without pushing the ride system.

1674411282703.png

1674411376571.png

Why not install 2 high capacity rides in 1 go? See the rapids in shot as well

1674411424110.png

So...a POV. Some stats as well. 3830ft long, 49mph top speed. 61ft tall at the crest of the first lift.