• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2023/24: Winners Declared (contest ended 16th March)

I have now completed my submission for Round 9! I've gone for something a little unconventional this week... say hello to Iconia, a Mack XTREME Spinning Coaster:
Iconia-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Iconia
  • Manufacturer: Mack Rides
  • Model: XTREME Spinning Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 94ft/29m
  • Speed: 50mph/80kph
  • Length: 3,544ft/1,080m
  • Inversions: 4
  • Airtime Moments: 5
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 3.7G (overall), 3.6G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1.8G (overall), -1.3G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 4 trains with 4 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 1,347pph (84-85 trains per hour, 1 train every ~42s)
If you'd like to play with Iconia for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3158798684

So that's Iconia, my Round 9 submission! I hope you all like it!

I’d just like to remind you all that we are now half way through Week 9.

I’ve had 3 responses to the Round 8 Voting Google Form so far, including my own. If you’d like to vote for your Round 8 favourites, here’s the form allowing you to do so: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSelETFCB8AOSxRUVYlKjyvkiZRBaLjeb67Pzhc3_3MbMJ0ciQ/viewform

There have been 3 submissions for Round 9 so far, including my own. If you would like a deadline extension for Round 9, please notify me before the deadline and I would be happy to facilitate one for you. If you have any issues with uploading videos or anything at all, get in touch with me and I would be very happy to solve these issues for you. If you do not get into contact with me before the deadline, I will assume that you are happy forfeiting this round and move on.

The deadline for both Round 9 building and Round 8 voting is Friday 16th February 2024 at 11:45pm. The Week 10 Weekly Digest will be posted on Saturday 17th February 2024 at 12am.

Excellent submission @Matt.GC! Your ride has stacks of airtime, but I also really like the custom inversions too, and I like how you managed to pay homage to some of the best bits of the actual Icon!
How is it fastest when we have a max speed this week of 50mph?
That is a good point, actually… I didn’t notice that.

To be fair, @Thameslink Rail did not expressly confirm the top speed, but if it actually is “the UK’s fastest coaster”, that would be a rule breach, I’m afraid…
My Week 9 Submission: The Not so Big One

Name: The Not so Big One
Manufacturer: Gerstlauer
Model: Eurofighter (custom)
Max Height: 89ft
Speed: 50mph
Length: 3665ft
Inversions: 4 (got no clue why the results tab says 5...)
Airtime Count: 5
Max Vertical Gs: 5.04g
Max Lateral Gs: 2.09g
Min Vertical Gs: -1.54g

Great submission @tactic! Your ride has a good mix of inversions and airtime moments!

Week 10 Weekly Digest (17th-23rd February 2024)
All right, folks! Week 9 is now over, so that means it's time for another Weekly Digest!

Let's start with the Round 8 results...
Round 8 Results
There were 5 responses to the Round 8 Voting Google Form in total, and the winners of Round 8 were as follows:
The complete leaderboard for Round 8 is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Matt.GC1810
2@cloudburster1521
3@MattyH1502
4@Thameslink Rail900
5@RicketyCricket900
6@Poisson600
7@mo237300
8@Matt N000
9@Willt7000
10@tactic000
11@The_bup000
12@Matt878787000
13@Connor98000
As such, the leaderboard for the overall contest so far is:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Matt.GC11490
2@RicketyCricket8630
3@Willt77940
4@cloudburster7642
5@Matt N6951
6@MattyH65113
7@Poisson63212
8@mo2375911
9@Thameslink Rail5607
10@Connor983830
11@tactic3710
12@The_bup2211
13@Matt878787000
Great round, everybody!

Now I've covered the Round 8 results, I think it's about time we moved on... as Round 9 has been extended by 1 day due to an extension request, I cannot cover the Round 9 voting stage right now. As such, let's move onto the next round...
Round 10 Building
Seeing as we've now completed Round 9, I think we need a new round to sink our teeth into, so it's time for me to reveal the Round 10 brief! The Round 10 brief is... Family Coaster for Oakwood Theme Park! The context for this round is as follows:
After many years without a new coaster, things have been looking up at Oakwood. Megafobia got a huge retrack in 2023, and now, the park has cordoned off the site of their former mini golf course in anticipation of a new development. The big secret is that they're planning to use this land to finally build the new coaster that they've been needing for a number of years, and they've commissioned you to design it! With Megafobia and Speed ticking the box of big thrills quite nicely, the park have decided that they'd prefer something a little more family-friendly for this coaster, so they don't want it to be too tall or fast and they don't want it to invert either. You also have to keep within the former mini golf area. Other than that, though, the sky's the limit! What coaster will you design for Oakwood?
The constraints for the round are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint 55m*83m/180ft*272ft
  • Maximum Height 82ft/25m
  • Maximum Speed 50mph/80kph
  • No Inversions
To put things into some perspective, here's the area of Oakwood we'll be working with (it's circled in black and labelled "Oakwood"):
Oakwood-Family-Coaster-Area.png

To apply the footprint constraints, I would recommend using the Scenario Editor to make yourself a park template that allows you to enforce the constraints.

However, if you find yourself unable to do this, I have created a Steam Workshop park template with the footprint constraints pre-imposed, which you can download here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3158853680

For console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. Path and wall pieces are typically 4m in length, for reference. I know it's not ideal, but it's unfortunately the best I can recommend given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

Please measure your coaster's height using Terrain Relative height markers in build mode (this is the setting labelled with a mountain).

To submit, please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots of it, and post the video(s) in this thread. You can briefly describe your ride if you wish. YouTube is the website I'd recommend for uploading videos to, as this would integrate best with the Google Form when it comes to voting, but if you want to upload your video(s) using a different method, then that's also fine. If you have any issues with recording or uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to contact me. I will try my best to assist you.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The submission deadline for Round 10 is Friday 23rd February 2024 at 11:45pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you simply do not want to compete in this round and move on after the posted deadline.

I think that's all I need to cover for Week 10. Good luck with Round 10, folks! If you have any questions or concerns about the round or about anything else, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am always more than happy to help.

Get building for Round 10, everybody! Due to the extension request, the Round 9 building deadline has been extended to Saturday 17th February 2024 at 11:45am. As such, Round 9 voting will begin exactly one day from today, on Sunday 18th February 2024 at 12am, and the Week 11 Weekly Digest will drop exactly one week from today, on Saturday 24th February 2024 at 12am.

Thought I'd have this in later today, but thank you for the extension!
lol at me, 1. Not paying any attention to the speed limits and 2. Then realising, but thinking 50mph launches were okay. Happy to count myself out...I'm just in it for the build haha

Lexicon - Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Icon Reloaded
Quad Launch Mack
3 inversions
7 airtime moments
6088ft of track
Definitely no clearance issues and I didn't forget to push some land away from the track lol

MackBPB2.png

Attachments

• MackBPB1.png
    MackBPB1.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thought I'd have this in later today, but thank you for the extension!

Lexicon - Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Icon Reloaded
Quad Launch Mack
3 inversions
7 airtime moments
6088ft of track
Definitely no clearance issues and I didn't forget to push some land away from the track lol

MackBPB2.png

Awesome submission @cloudburster! Your ride is really long and has stacks of airtime, as well as some nice custom inversions!

However, I'm afraid that it appears to breach the 50mph maximum speed limit, as your top speed is showing as 62mph... I'm really sorry to be such a pain, but I think I do have to enforce the rules here, as 62mph exceeds the 50mph limit by quite a margin. I'd be willing to give you a little bit longer to submit something within the constraint, if you need it.

Awesome submission @cloudburster! Your ride is really long and has stacks of airtime, as well as some nice custom inversions!

However, I'm afraid that it appears to breach the 50mph maximum speed limit, as your top speed is showing as 62mph... I'm sorry to be a pain, but I think I do have to enforce the rules here. I'd be willing to give you a little bit longer to submit something within the constraint, if you need it.

I'm an idiot! Not only did I miss the limit in the first place, I misunderstood what it meant full stop haha. I'll take the hit, I'm unwell, it's all good! :)

I'm an idiot! Not only did I miss the limit in the first place, I misunderstood what it meant full stop haha. I'll take the hit, I'm unwell, it's all good! :)
I'd be very happy to give you a further extension, if you'd like to concoct a new submission. Would you like one?

I have now completed my submission for Round 10! Say hello to... Megafobia Jr, a GCI wooden coaster:
Megafobia-Jr-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Megafobia Jr
  • Manufacturer: Great Coasters International
  • Model: Wooden Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 52ft/16m
  • Speed: 37mph/60kph
  • Length: 1,445ft/440m
  • Inversions: 0
  • Airtime Moments: 7
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 3.2G (overall and heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1.2G (overall), -0.9G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 2 trains with 8 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 1,049pph (65-66 trains per hour, 1 train every ~54s)
If you'd like to play with Megafobia Jr for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3162706257

So that's Megafobia Jr, my Round 10 submission! I hope you all like it!