• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2023/24: Winners Declared (contest ended 16th March)

I'd be very happy to give you a further extension, if you'd like to concoct a new submission. Would you like one?
Honestly don't worry about it, I tried to have a rejig of the layout but it would require more brainpower than I have at the moment. My bad, but really appreciate the offer! I just enjoy having an excuse to build, happy as always just to be taking part...will learn to read properly next time, but it's been a long week. :tearsofjoy:

OK, folks; Round 9 is finished and the submissions are in, so the voting stage can now begin!

Please vote for your Round 9 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdRIrQkw-lJKZ9qSbY-xbhtPTPrItm_xshwk02Su4kF5L_2Dw/viewform

Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder:
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. Therefore, if you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Most Realistic or Most Original if you wish. These nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you would like to, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Most Realistic or Most Original. Each Most Realistic or Most Original nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point, respectively.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • The overall ranking spots from #1 to #5 are designed to be mutually exclusive; one submission cannot have more than one ranking spot. As an example; if you rank a submission as your #1, you cannot also rank it as your #2. Please only give each submission one ranking spot. The exception to this is nominations for Most Realistic and Most Original; in these instances, the same submission can be nominated for both categories, and submissions already nominated within your top 5 can also be nominated for one or both of these categories. Within the main #1-#5 ranking, though; please allocate only one ranking spot per submission.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is more anonymous than some may like. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Most Realistic and/or Most Original nominations. However, can I please request that the Google Form is your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
Here is a reminder of everyone's submissions so that you know what you're voting for:
  • Icon't Believe It, a B&M Wing Coaster by @RicketyCricket:
  • Unnamed S&S Free Fly by @Poisson:
  • Iconia, a Mack Rides XTREME Spinning Coaster by @Matt N:
  • Mandy Mayhem, a Mack Rides Launch Coaster by @Matt.GC:
  • The Not So Big One, a Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter by @tactic:
  • Twist and Shout, a Mack Rides Spinning Coaster by @Thameslink Rail:

Round 9 voting closes on Friday 23rd February 2024 at 11:45pm. The results will be revealed as part of the Week 11 Weekly Digest on Saturday 24th February 2024 at 12am.

I’d just like to remind you all that we are now half way through Week 9.

I’ve had 3 responses to the Round 9 Voting Google Form so far, including my own. If you’d like to vote for your Round 9 favourites, here’s the form allowing you to do so: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdRIrQkw-lJKZ9qSbY-xbhtPTPrItm_xshwk02Su4kF5L_2Dw/viewform

There have been 3 submissions for Round 10 so far, including my own. If you would like a deadline extension for Round 10, please notify me before the deadline and I would be happy to facilitate one for you. If you have any issues with uploading videos or anything at all, get in touch with me and I would be very happy to solve these issues for you. If you do not get into contact with me before the deadline, I will assume that you are happy forfeiting this round and move on.

The deadline for both Round 10 building and Round 9 voting is Friday 23rd February 2024 at 11:45pm. The Week 11 Weekly Digest will be posted on Saturday 24th February 2024 at 12am.

While I’ve got your attention, I also have a question to ask ahead of Week 11.

As you’ve probably ascertained, I normally prepare the weekly digest for each week on a Friday night and post it as the day begins on Saturday. However, I am going away to Ilfracombe for the weekend on 1st-4th March, so I will not have access to my PC on that Friday night to do the Week 12 Weekly Digest. I apologise for the inconvenience.

As such, I was thinking of doing the digest and revealing the Bonus Round 1 day early, with the round beginning and the Week 12 Weekly Digest being posted on Friday 1st March 2024 at 12am instead of Saturday 2nd March 2024 at 12am like it usually would be. I don’t see that having an extra day for the Bonus Round would pose too much of an issue, but I was wondering about the building stage for Round 11. Having it shortened by a day could pose issues.

With this in mind, I was wondering; would people prefer for me to have Round 11 Building shortened to 6 days so that Round 11 Voting can be revealed in the Week 12 Weekly Digest? Or would people prefer for me to lengthen Round 11 building to 2 weeks, which would result in Round 11 Voting and Bonus Round Voting running concurrently during Week 13?

I’m 100% open to opinions on this, and would really value people’s thoughts. I also sincerely apologise for the fact that I will be unable to let Week 11 last a full week like it usually would.

Last edited:
Everyone loves a spinner as they're a great bridge between family and thrill - decided to go down this route with a few little modern surprises.

Smack My Birch Up

Track Length: 708m
Top Speed: 41mph
Positive G Spike: +5g
Negative G Spike: -1.6g
Throughput: 1150pph+

493340_20240222142559_1.png

493340_20240222142637_1.png

493340_20240222142702_1.png

Last edited:
Everyone loves a spinner as they're a great bridge between family and thrill - decided to go down this route with a few little modern surprises.

Smack My Birch Up

Track Length: 708m
Top Speed: 41mph
Positive G Spike: +5g
Negative G Spike: -1.6g
Throughput: 1150pph+

493340_20240222142559_1.png

493340_20240222142637_1.png

493340_20240222142702_1.png

Great submission @mo237! Your ride has some fun twists and turns and some unique elements, and I like some of the rapid-fire sequences of turns that come in places!
Steampunk Sheep

Was going for a junior Mack big dipper vibe, so you'll have to pretend it's not a rattly Gerst.

Runs 4 trains and has 3 launches.

Excellent submission @Matt.GC! Your ride is packed with airtime and gets a lot out of the space!

Great submission @Thameslink Rail! A wooden wild mouse is certainly a novel response to the brief, and your ride looks to have good pacing and some interesting hairpin turns and drops!

As we seem to be quite low on submissions this week, I’d just like to remind everyone else that if you would like an extension for Round 10, you have until 11:45pm tonight to request one. I’d be happy to grant you one if you’d like it, but you need to request it. If you do not request an extension, I will assume that you’re happy to forfeit the round and move on.

My Week 10 Submission: Sky Soarer

Name: Sky Soarer
Manufacturer: B&M
Model: Family Inverted Coaster
Max Height: 81ft
Speed: 45mph
Length: 1565ft
Inversions: 0
Airtime Count: 2
Max Vertical Gs: 3.34g
Max Lateral Gs: 2.04g
Min Vertical Gs: -1.02g

Week 11 Weekly Digest (23rd-29th February 2024)
All right, folks! Week 10 is now over, so that means it's time for another Weekly Digest!

Let's start with the Round 9 results...
Round 9 Results
There were 3 responses to the Round 9 Voting Google Form in total, and the winners of Round 9 were as follows:
The complete leaderboard for Round 9 is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@RicketyCricket1000
2@Matt.GC920
3@tactic810
4@Poisson703
5@Thameslink Rail600
6@Matt N500
7@mo237000
8@MattyH000
9@Willt7000
10@cloudburster000
11@The_bup000
12@Matt878787000
13@Connor98000
As such, the leaderboard for the overall contest so far is:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Matt.GC123120
2@RicketyCricket9630
3@Willt77940
4@cloudburster7663
5@Matt N7451
6@Poisson70215
7@MattyH65115
8@Thameslink Rail6207
9@mo2375911
10@tactic4520
11@Connor983830
12@The_bup2211
13@Matt878787000
Great round, everybody!
Round 10 Voting
Round 10 is finished and the submissions are in, so the voting stage can now begin!

Please vote for your Round 10 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScpi4xSUn9Th6BI93RpbzJbB1uEMYHFU9OUNtXT7e3Hgfoy-Q/viewform

Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder:
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. Therefore, if you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Most Realistic or Most Original if you wish. These nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you would like to, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Most Realistic or Most Original. Each Most Realistic or Most Original nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point, respectively.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • The overall ranking spots from #1 to #5 are designed to be mutually exclusive; one submission cannot have more than one ranking spot. As an example; if you rank a submission as your #1, you cannot also rank it as your #2. Please only give each submission one ranking spot. The exception to this is nominations for Most Realistic and Most Original; in these instances, the same submission can be nominated for both categories, and submissions already nominated within your top 5 can also be nominated for one or both of these categories. Within the main #1-#5 ranking, though; please allocate only one ranking spot per submission.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is more anonymous than some may like. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Most Realistic and/or Most Original nominations. However, can I please request that the Google Form is your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
Here is a reminder of everyone's submissions so that you know what you're voting for:
  • Megafobia Jr, a GCI wooden coaster by @Matt N:
  • Unnamed Intamin Wing Coaster by @Poisson:
  • Tree Surgeon Required: The Ride, a B&M Family Inverted Coaster by @RicketyCricket:
  • Smack My Birch Up, a Mack Rides Spinning Coaster by @mo237:
  • Steampunk Sheep, a Mack Rides BigDipper by @Matt.GC:
  • MegaSoreA**e, a wooden wild mouse by @Thameslink Rail:
  • Sky Soarer, a B&M Family Inverted Coaster by @tactic:

Voting for Round 10 closes on Thursday 29th February 2024 at 11:45pm, and the results will be revealed as part of the Week 12 Weekly Digest.

Now that we've covered Round 10 voting, I think it's about time that I revealed the next round...
Round 11 Building
Seeing as we've now completed Round 10, I think we need a new round to sink our teeth into, so it's time for me to reveal the Round 11 brief! The Round 11 brief is... Polercoaster Reborn at Skyplex Orlando! The context for this round is as follows:
Back in the mid-2010s, the developers of Skyplex Orlando and fledgling manufacturer US Thrill Rides announced a partnership to build a project that would take the theme park industry by storm; the Polercoaster. Designed to be the world's tallest roller coaster and the first over 500ft tall, the ride would have been over 5,000ft long and encapsulated numerous inversions alongside the world's steepest roller coaster drop. It also wound around a huge tower structure, giving it a highly distinctive layout. The Polercoaster was originally set to open in 2016, but this date was pushed back to 2017... and then to 2018, 2019 and further afield until the project just faded away into obscurity. Skyplex's spell in obscurity is about to end, however, as they've got grand plans to bring the Polercoaster back to life and have commissioned none other than you to design the new-gen Polercoaster. The site is not the most expansive for such a huge ride, so you'll certainly have your work cut out. Skyplex have also insisted that the 500ft mark must still be topped and that the original proposal's length must be maintained. It'll certainly be a challenging project... can you rise to the challenge?
The constraints for the round are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint 226m*132m/741ft*433ft
  • Minimum Height 500ft/152m
  • Minimum Length 5,000ft/1,524m
To put things into perspective, here's the area we'll be working with (it's circled in black and labelled "Polercoaster"):
Polercoaster-Area.png

For those unfamiliar with the original Polercoaster proposal (I'm aware that it was revealed quite a few years ago now...), here is a rendering and video simulation of it to give you some idea:
Polercoaster-Rendering.jpg

To apply the footprint constraints, I would recommend using the Scenario Editor to make yourself a park template that allows you to enforce the constraints.

However, if you find yourself unable to do this, I have created a Steam Workshop park template with the footprint constraints pre-imposed, which you can download here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3164342646

For console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. Path and wall pieces are typically 4m in length, for reference. I know it's not ideal, but it's unfortunately the best I can recommend given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

Please measure your coaster's height using Terrain Relative height markers in build mode (this is the setting labelled with a mountain).

To submit, please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots of it, and post the video(s) in this thread. You can briefly describe your ride if you wish. YouTube is the website I'd recommend for uploading videos to, as this would integrate best with the Google Form when it comes to voting, but if you want to upload your video(s) using a different method, then that's also fine. If you have any issues with recording or uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to contact me. I will try my best to assist you.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The submission deadline for Round 11 is Thursday 29th February 2024 at 11:45pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you simply do not want to compete in this round and move on after the posted deadline.

I think that's all I need to cover for Week 11. Good luck with Round 11, folks! If you have any questions or concerns about the round or about anything else, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am always more than happy to help.

Get building for Round 11 and voting for Round 10, everybody! The Week 12 Weekly Digest will drop exactly 6 days from today, on Friday 1st March 2024 at 12am. As previously mentioned, this week is being shortened slightly due to me being away in Ilfracombe from 1st-4th March, and therefore unable to access my PC between those dates. I apologise for the inconvenience.

I've had a week of dental torture so wasn't able to get something in, but will hopefully get an entry in for this one! (thoughts and prayers for my teef)

I have now completed my submission for Round 11! Say hello to... Ascension, a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster:
Ascension-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Ascension
  • Manufacturer: Gerstlauer
  • Model: Infinity Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 506ft/154m
  • Speed: 109mph/175kph
  • Length: 7,297ft/2,224m
  • Inversions: 4
  • Airtime Moments: 7
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 7.3G (overall and heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -2.1G (overall), -1.9G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 4 trains with 4 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 819pph (51-52 trains per hour, 1 train every ~70s)
If you'd like to play with Ascension for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3167642994

So that's Ascension, my Round 11 submission! I hope you all like it!

I've just found my biscuit tin of plasticine and old chopping board, am I too late to join in for this season.
Just remember to be liberal with Steam this time Rob. We all know what happened the last time. Mrs 666 had to hire a Rug Doctor and it still didn't get it out of the carpet.

My first ever model was the inside of the BPB Fun house, in a big shoe box.
Cardboard, sellotape, pipe cleaner, bog roll tubes and modelling clay of all types.
Everyone in the family recognised it...and my sad addiction to the Beach just snowballed from there.