• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2023/24: Winners Declared (contest ended 16th March)

OK; there are a few things I need to respond to that have been posted since I was last in this thread, so I’ll address each one in turn.
1000029036.jpg

Full Monty-Zuma

3 forward launches
1 reverse launch
74mph
160ft
9 inversions

Awesome submission @RicketyCricket! Your ride is really long and has a great array of inversions, including some very nice custom inversions!
There's no published number attached to it, it just gives you a percentage. I've got to 100% a few times. It also depends on platform as it's around 30% more on Series X and PS5 than you get on Xbox One and PS4. It can be cheated slightly by saving park areas as Blueprints and then pasting into one Sandbox which I have done.

It's probably enough to build a large fully functioning park with light theming (you can landscape and add water as much as you want as it doesn't count as pieces), or a couple of heavily themed areas. I usually use one Sandbox for the coasters I submit in this contest without any issues.
Thanks for clearing that up @Matt.GC. The only reason I asked is because of the round idea I was planning for Round 2 last night. It’s a round that’s been requested by a few people in previous years, and I thought it sounded really cool. However, the template I designed for it entailed a building with just over 5,000 scenery pieces, and with a coaster in the mix as well, I did have the horrible thought of “Is this going to breach the object limit on console?”. Do you reckon this would be OK for the object counter, or do I need to design a different round?
Got a question Matt, when i start participating next week, do you get bonus points for custom supporting to make it seem more realistic, or is it based solely on the layout for realism?

Also if i smooth my coaster down to 2m/1m would that bring me an advantage too making it smoother and more realistic?
I should probably clarify how the voting system works a bit more clearly, as it seems to be causing some confusion.

For clarity, there is no specific thing about a layout submission that will gain or lose you points. I emphasise a primary focus on the layout when voting, so I do ask people to only consider the layout itself rather than any peripherals (such as theming), but other than that, there’s no specific thing about your layout itself that will concretely gain or lose you any specific amount of points in the voting stage.

The way that the voting will work is that voters will be asked to pick their personal top 5 layouts within a Google Form. This can be based on a number of factors, but the factors that will decide the top 5 will vary from person to person, as each person will have their own ideas of what makes a good layout. There are things that might increase your chances of gaining a high number of points in the voting stage, but there aren’t any concrete factors that will definitely gain or lose you a concrete number of points in the voting stage. It’s not black and white and is most certainly subjective to a degree. The winning submissions are simply the ones that a greater proportion of voters rank highly.

In answer to your specific questions @tactic:
  1. I wouldn’t worry about custom supports. I’d place them more in the same “irrelevant peripheral” category as theming in the context of this contest, as they’re not part of the layout itself. I’m not going to stop you from doing custom supports if you would like to, but they are not part of the layout itself, so they are not something that should be considered during voting.
  2. Smoothing your layout may be advantageous for gaining additional points, as it would increase realism. It may also encourage more people to nominate you for Most Realistic, and may gain you Realism points as a result. However, as I said above, no one thing is an absolute silver bullet for guaranteeing additional points in the voting stage. No one factor of a layout is the be all and end all. Smoothness/realism may increase your chances of getting a high number of points, but at the same time, it is not a silver bullet that guarantees a high number of points either.
I hope that’s cleared up some ambiguities with the voting stage for some of new players. Do previous players feel that I’ve explained this well? (For clarity, the voting system is unchanged from last year)

Last edited:
Here’s my submission for round one!
Thought it only right to make it an intamin blitz seeing as it’s pretty much all I built last year.

Drop - 81ft
Speed - 62mph
Airtime moments - 11
Inversions - 5
Length - 4330ft
Duration - 91s

Excellent submission @Connor98! Your ride is really nice and long, and it looks packed with airtime!
Montezooma’s revenge’s revenge!

Mack Launch

Duration - 70 seconds
Length - 2369 ft
Max speed - 53 mph
Height - 105 ft
Airtime moments - 7
Inversions - 4

3eccb409-b1f4-4245-a0fe-9263ae188bc3.png

f2f5a0bb-266b-4176-aaac-3fed506ed46e.png

Great submission @Willt7! You’ve got a nice blend of inversions and airtime moments in there, and I’m really liking some of those custom manoeuvres!
My first entry into this competition.

Introducing an Intamin Lift and Launch: Monte's ZoomZooms

Featuring a beyond vertical 196ft first drop and 6 inversions.

Biggest Drop - 196ft
Top Speed - 78 mph
Airtime moments - 3
Inversions - 6
Length - 3758ft
Duration - 88s

The colours also pay hommage to it's predecessor

20231217205605_1.jpg

20231217205657_1.jpg
20231217205646_1.jpg

Awesome submission @MattyH! A ride with both a lift hill and a launch is certainly a novel response to the brief, and your ride has some great inversions and fun pops of airtime!

Thought I'd get this out of the way as it's likely to be the last few hours I have spare, at least for the next week.

Monte Go Zoom Zoom.

It has 3 launches, loads of outer banking, runs 4 trains and duels. 9 inversions, 11 airtime moments. Hang time as well but the game doesn't give you stats for that.

Excellent submission @Matt.GC! Your ride is really long and packed with airtime moments, and I love the self-duelling aspect!

OK, everybody; I just thought I’d remind you that we are now over halfway through the building stage of round 1. You have about 3 days remaining until the deadline.

There have been 7 submissions so far out of a potential 13 participants, so just over half of competitors have submitted so far. There’s still plenty of time (the deadline is 11:59pm on Friday 22nd December), but if you think you will need more time, please inform me prior to the deadline so that I can extend the deadline accordingly. If you do not get into contact with me either in this thread or via PM to request a deadline extension, I will assume that you’re OK forfeiting this round and move on.

I have received a request for an extension. As such, the Round 1 submission deadline will be extended by 1 day until Saturday 23rd December 2023 at 11:59pm.

I will still reveal Round 2 this evening for folks who are ready to start it, but Round 1 voting will be delayed by a day so that we can have everyone’s submissions before we start.

We have currently received 7 submissions out of a possible 13, so to the 6 of you who haven’t submitted yet, you now have an extra day to submit if you’d like to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
I’m back this evening, but probably won’t do a round 1 submission even with the extra day. I’ll start my round 2 creating when the rules revealed this evening instead!

Angel's Flight (named after the local baseball team)

100mph launch, 2 inversions, 5 airtime moments, what more do you want?

A @Thameslink Rail submission to the coaster challenge with a (sort of) break run? I'm shocked!

Anyway my apologies @Matt N but I don't think I've got the time to be part of the coaster building challenge this year (I know I signed up last year and then didn't submit anything) but I'm just far to busy with uni work and other stuff I'm up to (As noticed by a few people I've been a lot less active on here generally), hopefully I will be able to participate next year.

Apologies @Matt N I’m also unable to submit this week, although I’m planning on dusting the PS4 off for the next round when I have some time off work very soon.

Some awesome submissions so far.. I have my work cut out!

Week 2 Weekly Digest (23rd-29th December 2023)
All right, folks! Week 1 is already over, so that means it's time for another Weekly Digest!

As I stated earlier, an extension has been requested for Round 1. Therefore, the Round 1 submission deadline has been moved back by 1 day to Saturday 23rd December 2023 at 11:59pm. Resultantly, voting for Round 1 will not appear until Sunday 24th December 2023 at 12am (tomorrow) in order to allow for the submissions of everyone who wishes to submit to be voted on. If you have not submitted yet, you have one extra day to submit. If you do not submit or ask me to extend again before the new deadline, I will assume that you wish to forfeit the round and move on.

The delay of Round 1 voting does not mean that we can't press ahead with building for the next round, however. With this in mind... it's about time I revealed the Round 2 brief, don't you think?
Round 2 Building
The next round is upon us, folks! And I decided to bring out the big guns this week with a round idea that numerous players have requested from me in previous years; the brief for Round 2 is... Cross Valley Coaster for Alton Towers! The context for the round is as follows:
Back in 2003, Alton Towers made waves in the UK theme park industry by revealing an absolute behemoth of a roller coaster, and a ride proposal that captured the hearts and minds of enthusiasts everywhere; the cross valley wooden coaster. This enormous coaster would have had drops of up to 200ft tall, and it would have utilised the natural terrain in a manner quite unlike any other coaster on Earth! However, the locals and heritage associations were not quite so enamoured with the idea due to its proximity to The Gardens, and the sheer uproar eventually saw the proposal get withdrawn. Nonetheless, the cross valley coaster is an idea that Alton Towers and enthusiasts alike have never quite been able to let go of. So with Alton Towers having grown ever more fed up of the demands of locals and heritage associations over the years, they've decided to rebel against the establishment and finally bring the cross valley coaster to life come hell or high water, and they've commissioned none other than you to design this epic ride. The park have said that you have to stick within the area of the original cross valley coaster, and while they're rebelling against the establishment, they don't want to rebel too much, so they still want you to keep the height differential low enough to stay below that all-important tree line when ground level is taken into account, and they also don't want you to do any further digging. Furthermore, the park is conscious that this coaster could well be their magnum opus, so they want you to go truly epic and go beyond any other coaster at the park in terms of length. Other than that, though, the sky is the limit! The enduring legacy of the 2003 cross valley coaster proposal provides big shoes to fill... are you up to the challenge?
In terms of how I have chosen to deliver this particular round; I'll confess that for a while, I was unsure of how I would deliver it. As such, I've gone for a perhaps slightly unorthodox method in that I have created a building template consisting of two 131ft/40m high buildings, with a 328ft/100m wide gap between them to denote "the valley" (using Google Earth, I determined the valley depth to be around 40m and the valley width to be around 100m). My idea was that we could build our coasters on top of the two buildings, with the top of the buildings denoting "ground level" and the gap between them denoting "the valley". I know that I could have used terraforming instead, but I wasn't a fan of that idea because asking you to simply "dig a big hole" was a bit too imprecise for my liking in terms of ensuring equal conditions for build. While perhaps more true to life, terraforming on that scale would pose great difficulty for ensuring precise constraints, in my view.

The constraints for this round are as follows:
  • Must Fit Within Alton Towers "Valley" Space (Maximum Footprint 1,378ft*328ft/420m*100m, with "valley" that is 328ft/100m wide and 131ft/40m deep in the middle)
  • Maximum Height Differential 203ft/62m (This is 72ft/22m above the "ground level" height of around 131ft/40m. If using Terrain Relative height markers in the template and building on top of the building I've provided, the coaster height will show as 203ft/62m in the coaster builder.)
  • Minimum Length 4,000ft/1,219m
  • No Terraforming Allowed
To give you some idea of what we're playing with, here is the area of Alton Towers we're working with:
Cross-Valley-Coaster-Area.png

And here is the layout of the original cross valley coaster proposal from 2003 in relation to the area:
Cross-Valley-Coaster-Layout.jpg

Source: Theme Park Tourist

If you are concerned about building the template I've outlined; do not fear, as I have help to offer!

Firstly, here's a Steam Workshop template I created of the park and building template I'd like you to use for this round: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3115624687

For console users; I apologise, as I'm aware that you cannot access Steam Workshop or use the Scenario Editor. Nonetheless, I do still have help to offer you. I have created tutorials of how to build the required building template to give you a bit of a leg up.

If you prefer written instructions, I have created a Google Doc outlining the steps to take to build the template: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1awy5rSicoxJ-MYEx2owTbn8D-V-AADHv9bdQmdsEk2I/edit?usp=sharing

Or if you prefer to learn via video, I have filmed a video of me building the template that you can follow along with at your own speed:

To determine the height differential of your ride, please use Terrain Relative height markers when building (Terrain Relative is the type of height marker denoted by a picture of a mountain).

To submit, please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots of it, and post the video(s) in this thread. You can briefly describe your ride if you wish. YouTube is the website I'd recommend for uploading videos to, as this would integrate best with the Google Form when it comes to voting, but if you want to upload your video(s) using a different method, then that's also fine. If you have any issues with recording or uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to contact me. I will try my best to assist you.

Although the template for this round requires scenery construction in the form of a building, may I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The submission deadline for Round 2 is Friday 29th December 2023 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you simply do not want to compete in this round and move on after the posted deadline.

I think that's all I need to cover for Week 2 so far. As explained above, Round 1 voting will be posted at this time tomorrow due to a requested extension. Good luck with Round 2, folks! If you have any questions or concerns about the round, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am always more than happy to help.

Get building, everybody!

I might try and knock this out Christmas day Matt as I've tried to build one of these before and found it extremely hard to do but fun.

Potential quicker way to get the dimensions right on console is to build a 100m long path (25 standard 4m pieces) with 2 x 40m tall spires at either end (10 standard 4m wall pieces)?

When you say no terra forming, you mean no digging down right? So we're ok to build the valley if we wish with terrain to make it look a bit more realistic?

First of all, sorry for the holdup. should've known that the admin would take years, being in the country and all.
But here is my coaster:
Great uncle Monty's Zoomer!
LENGTH: 1338m
TOP SPEED: 61mph
INVERSIONS: 9
AIRTIME MOMENTS: 4 (I tell you they look cracking though!)
MAX HEIGHT: 36 m
LAUNCHES: 2
MACK LAUNCH COASTERsky.PNG

Ill set the scene: Its 1884 in New Mexico, and you're going to visit your Great Uncle Monty, and he's been hard at work making this contraption! it has four wheels and it goes at an unbelievable speed! He wants to call it a car, but I think that name will never catch on! And, I'm sure he'll let you take it for a ride around town if you ask him! politely.
submissison 1.PNGwee.PNGsub2.PNGsub funny.PNGsub 3.PNG

here is the video:

The area has custom music playing, yes. There are smoke bursts in the tunnel, but they are difficult to see on the front bumper, It also has a switch track!

Last edited:
First of all, sorry for the holdup. should've known that the admin would take years, being in the country and all.
But here is my coaster:
Great uncle Monty's Zoomer!
LENGTH: 1338m
TOP SPEED: 61mph
INVERSIONS: 9
AIRTIME MOMENTS: 4 (I tell you they look cracking though!)
MAX HEIGHT: 36 m
LAUNCHES: 2
MACK LAUNCH COASTERsky.PNG

Ill set the scene: Its 1884 in New Mexico, and you're going to visit your Great Uncle Monty, and he's been hard at work making this contraption! it has four wheels and it goes at an unbelievable speed! He wants to call it a car, but I think that name will never catch on! And, I'm sure he'll let you take it for a ride around town if you ask him! politely.
submissison 1.PNGwee.PNGsub2.PNGsub funny.PNGsub 3.PNG

here is the video:

The area has custom music playing, yes. There are smoke bursts in the tunnel, but they are difficult to see on the front bumper, It also has a switch track!

Awesome submission @The_bup! Your ride looks great, with some nice airtime and awesome custom inversions!
Potential quicker way to get the dimensions right on console is to build a 100m long path (25 standard 4m pieces) with 2 x 40m tall spires at either end (10 standard 4m wall pieces)?

When you say no terra forming, you mean no digging down right? So we're ok to build the valley if we wish with terrain to make it look a bit more realistic?
I guess that would be OK. I wasn’t sure on doing terrain for the valley because I wasn’t sure how you’d enforce the constraints that way, but if you feel you can, then be my guest!

I also agree that the way you’ve mentioned is probably quicker for getting the height dimensions right than the way I mentioned…

@Matt N This could totally just be me misreading but on the google form I can’t seem to figure out how tall the two buildings should be?
Thank you for pointing that out! I do apologise; that was a complete fail on my part!

The height of the buildings has now been added in. Each building should be 40m, or 10 4m wall pieces, tall with a flat roof on top.