• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2023/24: Winners Declared (contest ended 16th March)

Thanks Matt! No idea why steam has suddenly stopped! It was working fine every other week! I will get cracking on my entry for the week!!

I’m sorry Matt for being a pain. Please count me out this round. I tried my best to find time but I’m so busy right now it’s almost impossible. Think I may lose my title this year 😉😂

Made a few different coasters and have settled on this weird contraption. Features a lot of hang time, upside down airtime hills and the worlds inverted helix.

1000031476.jpg

Batcave
Gerstlauer
42mph
40ft
7 inversions

Saw: The Ride 2, Jigsaw's revenge
Plenty of space in there for 15 inversions

Great submission @Thameslink Rail! You’ve certainly gotten a lot out of the space to cram 15 inversions in there!
I’m sorry Matt for being a pain. Please count me out this round. I tried my best to find time but I’m so busy right now it’s almost impossible. Think I may lose my title this year 😉😂
That’s not a problem at all; you certainly haven’t been a pain. If you don’t feel you can submit for Round 6, that’s fine.

I’ll keep Round 6 submissions open to the end of the week regardless, however, as I would rather have a full week of Round 6 voting in conjunction with Round 7 voting than a considerably shortened Round 6 voting stage.
Made a few different coasters and have settled on this weird contraption. Features a lot of hang time, upside down airtime hills and the worlds inverted helix.

1000031476.jpg

Batcave
Gerstlauer
42mph
40ft
7 inversions

Awesome submission @RicketyCricket! Your ride has some great hangtime and fun pops of airtime!

For everyone else; I’d just like to remind you all that we are now half way through Week 7.

There have been 6 submissions for Round 7 so far, including my own. If you would like a deadline extension for Round 7, please notify me before the deadline and I would be happy to facilitate one for you. If you have any issues with uploading videos or anything at all, get in touch with me and I would be very happy to solve these issues for you. If you do not get into contact with me before the deadline, I will assume that you are happy forfeiting this round and move on.

As previously announced, Round 6 voting will now run concurrently with Round 7 voting during Week 8. Therefore, there is no voting this week.

The deadline for Round 7 building is Friday 2nd February 2024 at 11:45pm. The Week 8 Weekly Digest will be posted on Saturday 3rd February 2024 at 12am.

Last edited:
There's been 6 entries hasn't there? Or am I mixing weeks?
It would seem that you are correct… I thought there were only 4, but it would seem that I totally missed the entries from you and @cloudburster for some bizarre reason… I never even saw either until just now! Sorry about that!

I’ll give them both a watch in due course…

Last edited:
This weeks entry is sponsored by all major painkiller medications because you'd need them all. :tearsofjoy:

MEGRIM - A...er, concept...compact RMC with a vertical lift into a hangtime inversion, and a layout that is enough to make you wish for the end to come immediately. A perfect addition for Thorpe.

Planet Coaster Screenshot 2024.01.29 - 19.33.39.27.png

1111.png

Great submission @cloudburster! Your ride is certainly unique, with some nice twists, turns and inversions!
So, my version of a Maurer Spinner. Took a lot of adjusting to fit in the building.

44ft tall, 1539ft long, 1 airtime moment and 900 per hour based on 16 second dispatches which is about what Spinball is quoted at. Not sure I could cram much more track in if I tried.

1706561781097.png

1706561822770.png

Great submission @Poisson! You’ve crammed lots of track into the space, and your ride has some fun helixes and turns!

Need a new replacement coaster? Want to use a slightly outdated IP?

WHO YOU GONNA CALL? GHOSTBUSTERS!

That's right, it's a multi lift, mutli thing, ghostbusters themed junior coaster.

Perfect for all people who don't want to go faster than 33mph and with a biggest drop of 14ft, it's perfect for people who are easily afraid.

20240202170714_1.jpg
20240202170719_1.jpg
20240202170723_1.jpg
Stats

Top Speed: 33mph
Biggest Drop 14ft
Total Length: 1631ft

POV:

My Week 7 Submission: X:/ Some Way In

Name: X:/ Some Way In
Manufacturer: B&M
Model: Family Coaster
Max Height: 35ft
Speed: 40mph
Length: 1007ft
Inversions: 1
Airtime Count: 0
Max Vertical Gs: 4.01g
Max Lateral Gs: 1.77g
Min Vertical Gs: -1.01g

Firefly Garden
Intamin launched family coaster

Max height: 46ft
Duration: 60.09s
Max speed: 39mph
Max vertical g-force: 4.22g

Great submission @Willt7! Your ride has lots of really fun-looking turns and airtime pops!
Need a new replacement coaster? Want to use a slightly outdated IP?

WHO YOU GONNA CALL? GHOSTBUSTERS!

That's right, it's a multi lift, mutli thing, ghostbusters themed junior coaster.

Perfect for all people who don't want to go faster than 33mph and with a biggest drop of 14ft, it's perfect for people who are easily afraid.

20240202170714_1.jpg
20240202170719_1.jpg
20240202170723_1.jpg
Stats

Top Speed: 33mph
Biggest Drop 14ft
Total Length: 1631ft

POV:

Great submission @MattyH! I like the self-duelling(?) feature that your ride seems to have going on in sections, and it also has some fun drops and airtime moments!
My Week 7 Submission: X:/ Some Way In

Name: X:/ Some Way In
Manufacturer: B&M
Model: Family Coaster
Max Height: 35ft
Speed: 40mph
Length: 1007ft
Inversions: 1
Airtime Count: 0
Max Vertical Gs: 4.01g
Max Lateral Gs: 1.77g
Min Vertical Gs: -1.01g

Great submission @tactic! Fitting a B&M into the space is certainly no mean feat, and your ride has some fun twists and turns!

Week 8 Weekly Digest (3rd-9th February 2024)
All right, folks! Week 7 is now over, so that means it's time for another Weekly Digest!

As there was no voting last week, there are no results to go over, but 2 lots of voting to discuss! With this in mind, let's get straight into Round 6 and Round 7 voting...
Round 6 and Round 7 Voting
Round 6 and Round 7 are finished and the submissions are in, so the voting stage for both can now begin!

Please vote for your Round 6 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSedZRBYT1kxBhzWE_zxAhFraA5CEMrlTw03tozj5mHUPFMMdA/viewform

And please vote for your Round 7 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdR2AGxfI-tq3rOn7janXiaeNUE0wNuv87HaJpkTroyAfl1uA/viewform

Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder:
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. Therefore, if you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Most Realistic or Most Original if you wish. These nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you would like to, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Most Realistic or Most Original. Each Most Realistic or Most Original nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point, respectively.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • The overall ranking spots from #1 to #5 are designed to be mutually exclusive; one submission cannot have more than one ranking spot. As an example; if you rank a submission as your #1, you cannot also rank it as your #2. Please only give each submission one ranking spot. The exception to this is nominations for Most Realistic and Most Original; in these instances, the same submission can be nominated for both categories, and submissions already nominated within your top 5 can also be nominated for one or both of these categories. Within the main #1-#5 ranking, though; please allocate only one ranking spot per submission.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is more anonymous than some may like. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Most Realistic and/or Most Original nominations. However, can I please request that the Google Form is your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
Here is a reminder of everyone's submissions for Round 6 so that you know what you're voting for in the Round 6 form:
  • Zenith, a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster by @Matt N:
  • Celestia, a B&M launch coaster by @cloudburster:
  • Unnamed B&M Wing Coaster by @Poisson:
  • Wild Mouse XXXXXL, a Reverchon spinning wild mouse by @MattyH:
  • Full Sugar Pepsi 95, a Mack Rides HyperCoaster by @Matt.GC:
  • Verticola, a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster by @mo237:
  • Tory 315, a B&M giga coaster by @RicketyCricket:
  • Monty Python, a Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop by @Thameslink Rail:
  • Project Extradus, an Intamin LSM Launch Coaster by @tactic:
  • Mandy's Even Bigger One, an Intamin vertical launch coaster by @Willt7:

And here is a reminder of everyone's submissions for Round 7, so that you know what you're voting for in the Round 7 form:
(My apologies for the Round 7 videos not being embedded... this is due to the forum not allowing more than 10 pieces of media in one post.)

Voting for both Round 6 and Round 7 closes on Friday 9th February 2024 at 11:45pm, and the results will be revealed as part of the Week 9 Weekly Digest.

Now that we've covered Round 6 and Round 7 voting, I think it's about time that I revealed the next round...
Round 8 Building
Seeing as we've now completed Round 7, I think we need a new round to sink our teeth into, so it's time for me to reveal the Round 8 brief! The Round 8 brief is... Rita Reloaded at Alton Towers! The context for this round is as follows:
When Rita opened at Alton Towers in 2005, it took the park by storm. Riding on the hydraulic launch wave of the early 2000s, the ride proved a hit among guests, and it was even proclaimed "the best Alton Towers ride ever" in 2005 marketing campaigns. However, we're now 19 years past 2005, and as hydraulic launch fever has dissipated, Rita's flaws have grown ever more apparent, with the main one being the unoriginal layout. The ride has not aged terribly well, with modern launch coasters widely perceived to be outclassing it in most aspects. As such, Alton Towers have decided to remove the ride and replace it with a brand new coaster. They've said that the all-important fast launching aspect needs to stay, and that the tree line height limit of course has to be kept to as well as the existing Rita footprint, but other than that, the sky's the limit! What new launch coaster will you replace Rita with? Will you create "the best Alton Towers ride ever"?
The constraints for this round are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint 553ft*213ft/163m*65m
  • Maximum Height 72ft/22m
  • Minimum Speed 50mph/80kph
  • Must Contain At Least 1 Launch
For some perspective, the area of Alton Towers we're working with here is as follows (it's circled in black and labelled "Rita"):
Rita-Area.png

To apply the footprint constraints, I would recommend using the Scenario Editor to make yourself a park template that allows you to enforce the constraints.

However, if you find yourself unable to do this, I have created a Steam Workshop park template with the footprint constraints pre-imposed, which you can download here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3149447639

For console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. Path and wall pieces are typically 4m in length, for reference. I know it's not ideal, but it's unfortunately the best I can recommend given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

Please measure your coaster's height using Terrain Relative height markers in build mode (this is the setting labelled with a mountain).

To submit, please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots of it, and post the video(s) in this thread. You can briefly describe your ride if you wish. YouTube is the website I'd recommend for uploading videos to, as this would integrate best with the Google Form when it comes to voting, but if you want to upload your video(s) using a different method, then that's also fine. If you have any issues with recording or uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to contact me. I will try my best to assist you.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The submission deadline for Round 8 is Friday 9th February 2024 at 11:45pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you simply do not want to compete in this round and move on after the posted deadline.

I think that's all I need to cover for Week 8. Good luck with Round 8, folks! If you have any questions or concerns about the round or about anything else, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am always more than happy to help.

Get building for Round 8 and voting for Round 6 and Round 7, everybody! The Week 9 Weekly Digest will drop exactly one week from today, on Saturday 10th February 2024 at 12am.

The idea here was a Taron style spaghetti bowl layout, with Gotham City Escape inspired elements. Could have dug down a bit more but quite pleased with it overall.

Rita's Reacharound
Intamin Blitz
56mph
69ft height/78ft drop
3 launches
3 inversions
13 airtime count

I have now completed my submission for Round 8! Say hello to... Mortalis, an Intamin LSM Launch Coaster:
Mortalis-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Mortalis
  • Manufacturer: Intamin
  • Model: LSM Launch Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 65ft/20m
  • Speed: 64mph/103kph
  • Length: 3,959ft/1,207m
  • Inversions: 2
  • Airtime Moments: 8
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 4.4G (overall), 4.1G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -2G (overall), -1.8G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 3 trains with 5 cars/20 riders
  • Throughput: 1,047pph (52-53 trains per hour, 1 train every ~1m 8s)
If you'd like to play with Mortalis for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3153200872

So that's Mortalis, my Round 8 submission! I hope you all like it!

The idea here was a Taron style spaghetti bowl layout, with Gotham City Escape inspired elements. Could have dug down a bit more but quite pleased with it overall.

Rita's Reacharound
Intamin Blitz
56mph
69ft height/78ft drop
3 launches
3 inversions
13 airtime count

Excellent submission @RicketyCricket! Your ride looks packed with airtime, and I like the self-duelling dynamic that it appears to have going on in sections!

I've added this week's entry to the Mexicana one to create Bootlegger Express, a Mack multilaunch.

1707071624423.png

1707071658507.png
72ft tall, 70mph, 1200pph, 6 inversions including an inverted stall.

Great submission @Poisson! Your ride has various fun twists, turns, airtime moments and inversions!
Hi @Matt N sorry to be a pain but steam is an absolute arse now. Could you make the template publicly available please?
Sorry about that @MattyH. The template should be public now.

I wonder why Steam is causing you issues... I never seem to have had an issue with clicking the links from this post, even though my Steam account is not logged in on my PC's Google Chrome or my iPad.

I had no prior issues until Last Week.

It's not letting me log in to subscribe to the template online.