• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Site Discussion & Feedback

To be fair the weather is beautiful outside. Younger members (which I would assume form a big chunk of the community) will be finishing off exams/coursework too. Historically this community has always been quieter during the summer months, even during the days of this community being on TowersTimes. People tend to have more going on, are on holiday or are just out more.

Also lets not forget after the longest construction and build up for any ride since communities started The Smiler is open!

So theres no speculation, construction updates or new marketing to spot. Theres always this little come down after a new ride opens, once we get confirmation of 2014 and scarefest starts building up there will be more to discuss again.

JoshM said:
ChocolateStarfish said:
That's where you will find me.

From reading this, i'd also presume you'd be leaving.

And to be honest, if you feel TowersStreet is so inactive the logical thing to do would be not to visit a inactive forum; hence why people thought you were leaving.

I hadn't visited for a few weeks and not a lot had happened in that time.
Certain members seem to have disappeared or posting a lot less than what the were before.

I understand the holiday point and the fact the Smiler is now open but the post count and member logins still seems very low.
Just wondered where everyone had gone so I could join them?

But your right there is no point in keeping on visiting an empty forum, I will keep an eye on it though just in case it gets a touch busier again.

OI. WE'RE NOT DISNEY! :p

It was time for us to wave goodbye to the commemoration of our first birthday - we don't have the gumption to 'do a Disney' and give it an extra year ;)

Re: TowersStreet Site Discussion & Feedback

Sazzle said:
OI. WE'RE NOT DISNEY! :p

It was time for us to wave goodbye to the commemoration of our first birthday - we don't have the gumption to 'do a Disney' and give it an extra year ;)
That's fair enough, Saz, but it does seen a little bit bland now. I'd hope that similar things are done for other times of the year.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

I'm glad the birthday banner is gone, it had overstayed it's welcome if you ask me. I was expecting a week of it at most. As has been said, this isn't Disney! :p

Re: TowersStreet Site Discussion & Feedback

Its going to be replaced with joels face and the almighty ban stick!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Joel's banstick isn't *that* almighty... and no, I don't have banstick-envy ;)

I was going to suggest using your banstick Scott, but they don't seem to make monitors wide enough for it yet ;)

Ian said:
I was going to suggest using your banstick Scott, but they don't seem to make monitors wide enough for it yet ;)

#LoveEveryMouthful

I think The Smiler's ride page needs updating. It's a little behind with the times as it's not saying anything about it being operational and it doesn't actually contain any images of the ride in action or any of the surrounding areas.

Andrew said:
I think The Smiler's ride page needs updating. It's a little behind with the times as it's not saying anything about it being operational and it doesn't actually contain any images of the ride in action or any of the surrounding areas.

Yeah we are having a ponder on what to do with it all really, we have changed a lot of the wording to remove a lot of the "future" style but it we know it needs slotting into the existing ride line-up. Only issue is we are currently looking at some site wide changes which will effect that so it's all a bit up-in-the-air.

But it is at the top of a list of priorities to get sorted, especially the images, which is something we can look at now actually *heads to the server*

Just a little something that keeps bugging me about the TS homepage. I know it says that the page is currently undergoing improvements but that message has been these for quite a while now so I thought I'd mention this. Am I the only one that thinks it appears rather dull and boring? I really like the way that the news is displayed but everything else is pretty much the same colour. The animated image of the frogs is nice but I think the colour filter ruins it for me. I know purple is the colour of the site and I love that but the homepage it too much of the same! I just feel there should be a bit more colour to make the page a lot more interesting.

Sorry if that sounds overly negative, it's just my honest opinion! I wouldn't call the homepage appealing.

:)

Sadly this is a story of excuses, so cutting a long story short...

We wanted to give the homepage a little revamp and makeover a while back (I know many saw it leaked by accident!), and we got uber excited about using video as part of the page, which is what the frogs is about :p

The message about being work in progress is my fault, because that yellow box is supposed to highlight some content on the site such as the new feature contributions, but obviously this isn't ready yet, which was bad planning on my part also :p

However that was all short term plans. As part of our long term plans, we wanted to redesign the whole site to make it a) more mobile friendly and b) make some changes to the layout where things clearly haven't worked out (such as tabs et al).

With the massive summer break for me in progress, I kinda also started work on the longer term plans to redesign the site from scratch again with the dreaded responsive structure to it, and from that I've had to do a lot of learning and upskilling with new fangled things like LESS CSS that I'm dabbling with.

But then a dreaded temporary house move struck me as the landlord wanted his house back 11 days sooner than I was supposed to be moving out. So I had to move out and back to family for that time, and throw everything into storage as I didnt want to drag it around for that short time - which means my PC and everything went into storage too.

So now I only have my laptop, no desk and nice chair and everything else, and I'm finding it incredibly difficult to work to get anything done with a laptop on a sofa :p I've also had a family business website to throw up (stupid family pressure) and ecommerce to sort out inbetween, so its been a nightmare. Yeah yeah, excuses I know, but Saz said I was allowed to suspend my work for a week until I'm moved back on 1st August, so I won't have the whip cracked until then ;)

TL;DR - So yes. In short, we changed the homepage to give it a cleaner look, but never quite finished it perfectly as contribute wasn't ready, but then I decided to start on my longer term project to redesign the site which was planned anyway, which was then interrupted by moving.

So in short the homepage will likely be styled differently come mid-August, along with much of the site hopefully, offering a better experience for those on mobiles too.

</essay> ;)