• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Trip Planning Questions and Discussion

Craig

TS Administrator
In order to try and keep the Alton Towers General topic related to the park itself, please use this topic for any quick questions/advice on planning a trip to Alton Towers. From ticket advice, what to wear or what rides to head first :)

The way those queues work, it is also unlikely that there were 15000 people ahead of you either.

15000 will be the number of queue sessions, rather than people. So for example, if someone had the page open on a mobile and their laptop, they end up with two sessions. That's why online queues often seem to dissipate quite quickly.

Still down anyway

Screenshot_20230327-195545.png

Just got to hope it'll be back online when I get the coupons, and that I'll have enough time lol.

And another million on top of them ...

Such a bizarre promotion but it obviously works for them.

What makes you say it’s a bizarre promotion? This is the company that do BOGOF tickets with packs of chocolates, cereals, hand wash, and crisps. Giving away tickets with tokens from a mass market newspaper isn’t really any different.

And given the daily readership of the paper its advertising the park to a hell of a lot of people by having Towers mentioned on the front page each day whilst the offer runs.

Last edited:
What makes you say it’s a bizarre promotion? This is the company that do BOGOF tickets with packs of chocolates, cereals, hand wash, and crisps. Giving away tickets with tokens from a mass market newspaper isn’t really a different.
The BOGOFs still give some protection against revenue. The free tickets a lot less so outside of unavoidable spend like car parking.

Anecdotally, I know of people that only visit with the free tickets and it's almost a challenge on the basis of "How little money can we spend today?". Once people have decided that your product is worth £0, you don't have anywhere to go on pricing.

That said, I am sure the opposite is true and for some people secondary spend is much higher than usual on the account of the free entry.

Some of the available days are interesting too. Packing out the park on low to medium days is one thing but in a park that has some capacity headaches this season, adding more folks in for free on a Saturday in July could irk people who have paid the gate price.

Getting any metrics or data will be difficult, not least because Merlin suck at that generally, but also because the Sun ticket holders will be a statistically insignificant percentage of your gate on any given day - I think that's maybe the point.

Usually the average family size is 4 or 5 per household. So it’s Win/Win for Merlin as they still got to use a BOGOF voucher so at least they gonna get £65 plus parking. Then they think with the money they saved on 3 tickets they will all eat in the restaurant £30 to £40 then drinks and snacks during the day £20 so it be like the park have still made £130.

So looking like first wet day next Tuesday. Anybody any tips other than the obvious. Anybody rode in waterproof pants etc. TiA

Waterproof shoes (usually comfortable goretex walking boots for me). Water resistant trousers (craghoppers walking trousers - not totally waterproof, but decent enough). Waterproof jacket (pick your brand from any of the usual walking/hiking firms). Spare pair of socks if you're not too sure how good your shoes are. That'll keep you pretty sweet.

T shirt, shorts and sandals with socks...you dry out so much quicker...
And a nice brolly, to be left in a bush when the sun comes out.