• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TS South: 8 - 9 June 2013

Re: NEXT MEET: TS South: 8 - 9 June 2013

Novas said:
Not stayed at this TL before, and just noticed the website is covered in notes about how restrictive parking can be. Anyone had a problem parking on site before?
There's a multi storey car park on site, however it's a pay an display affair. I remember it vein rather expensive last time I visited..

NEXT MEET: TS South: 8 - 9 June 2013

Yep, not cheap - around £7.50 for 24h springs to mind?

Looks like I may possibly be staying over Saturday night now, which makes it easier to chill at the Golden Cross :)

Islander said:
Yep, not cheap - around £7.50 for 24h springs to mind?

Looks like I may possibly be staying over Saturday night now, which makes it easier to chill at the Golden Cross :)
Expensive but cheaper than T5 Hilton. £12/24H. Eek

Mike said:
LiamC said:
Jordan said:
Is there a pod sosche tonight? I've never been on them yet heard so much :p

I would quite like to have a look at these, they look quite funky.

I'm also probably going to head down to have a look :)

Chances are I won't be arriving at T5 until around 8.30/9PM as it is, so if people are wanting to have a look I could perhaps meet you there?

LiamC said:
Mike said:
LiamC said:
Jordan said:

Chances are I won't be arriving at T5 until around 8.30/9PM as it is, so if people are wanting to have a look I could perhaps meet you there?

I'm terribly tempted! What are the costs involved in riding these legendary pods?

Rowe said:
LiamC said:
Mike said:
LiamC said:
Jordan said:

I'm terribly tempted! What are the costs involved in riding these legendary pods?
£0, they're free!

Given how we'll all be arriving at different times, it might be a better idea if we met at the Travelodge and then headed out to T5 when we want to go on the pods. It'll be a lot better if we all go together :)

T said:
Rowe said:
LiamC said:
Mike said:
LiamC said:
Jordan said:

£0, they're free!

Ok, I can't sit back and pretend to know what the hell you lot are on about any longer. What are these pods of joy? :eek:

Novas said:
Ok, I can't sit back and pretend to know what the hell you lot are on about any longer. What are these pods of joy? :eek:
'Tis the ULTra rapid transit system at Heathrow T5 :)

Really been wanting to take a look myself sometime - gutted that this has been organised at such short notice, as it would've been easy for me to pop along had it been organised just a touch further in advance :/

Just wanted to say that I am safely back home. Special thanks to Islander for driving me to heathrow.

I had a fantastic time and it was a pleasure meeting everyone.

Bring on TS North!

Good weekend as per. Big up to CDS Construction Services LTD for keeping us in drinks all weekend :)

Had a fantastic day/evening on Saturday - Chessington felt a bit better than last time I was there (although the weather helped!) and was great to see everyone again. Hope everyone enjoyed Thorpe/Lego today - planned to do both days but circumstances dictated that I couldn't :(

Huge thanks to T for booking the room and shuttling me around all weekend - much appreciated! Hope to see everyone again soon :)

I had a great weekend - thanks everyone! Particularly Mike for persuading me to go, T for getting the room sorted (and for shuttling me around), and also to Ian and Cheese for car services. Finally, a big thanks to Diogo and Hils for letting me stay overnight at theirs after I was a bit of an idiot and didn't leave enough time to get from Legoland to Reading for my train home on the Sunday. :p

It was good to go to Chessie for the first time, but the place needs a lot of work, which I'll expand on in the Chessie topic, and I'll cover Thorpe and Legoland in their respective topics as well. Also, it was good to meet several people for the first time, particularly Ted.

A couple of other things. I have discovered hell. It's called the Central line between Bond Street and Holborn during rush hour. :p There's a brilliant pub in T5 departures at Heathrow called 'The Five Tuns', and the toasted bacon sandwiches they do are fantastic - I very strongly recommend it. And the pods - the ULTra rapid transit system between T5 and two of the car parks - are excellent, if a little unnerving to be on the first time.

All in all, I really enjoyed myself, even if it was rather last-minute and I had to spend an extra £50 to get a train ticket home. It's just a shame that the next meet I'll be able to go on is Staffs Sandwich at the end of August. :(

EDIT: I only just remembered this, but after the train fail when I was on my way to Diogo's, I was between Slough and Ealing Broadway on one of FGW's local services (I can't remember exactly where I was at the time) when I saw a steam train in some sidings to the south of the main lines. What train was it? Well, none other than probably the most famous steam train to be build this side of World War 2 - LNER Peppercorn Class A1 60163 Tornado. :D I didn't get a photo, as I only realised what it was after the train had gone past, but to have actually seen it in real life is fantastic. :D

Jonathan said:
Also, it was good to meet several people for the first time, particularly Ted.

Oh_stop_it_you.png

Haha it was great meeting you too Jon (As well as other people!) I had a great weekend overall, it was fun visiting Chessington in the gorgeous weather on Saturday and I fairly enjoyed Thorpe and Legoland on the Sunday.

Can't wait for my next meet which should be the first day of Staffs Sandwhich =)

Was good to put a few names to faces. My expectations were so low for Chessie that it actually exceeded them, whereas Thorpe was depressing and in need of some serious TLC...

Massive thanks to Lewis both for getting in touch before the meet and for calming the early nerves on the day, was much appreciated. :p

T'was a good weekend all in all! Chessie was no where near as bad as I was expecting, and I think we had a really good day! Thorpe was nice too, and it certainly helped getting there early to beat the queues :)

Awesome to see everyone, as always! A big thanks to Towers Freak for sorting out the accommodation, and Lewis for keeping me company to and from Derby!

Highlights
- Refreshed T5 room
- The company, both new and old
- The SUMPTUOUS microwave meal at Travelodge :p
- Queef
- Zufari exceeding my expectations
- Finally getting on Fury and Rattlesnake, and rather liking both
- A certain female member getting a little tipsy at Chessie ;)
- A nice meal at The Golden Cross, in spite of the slightly limited menu
- Roast & Relish! <3 (I may or may not have gone back for a second helping!) Seriously, the sooner this comes to Towers the better! :D
- Swarm Backwards being so wrong, but actually kind of working! Rather enjoyed it if I'm honest. Oh, and the fact we didn't have to wait for it!
- The countless other memories I can't quite recall right now :p

Lowlights
- X. I love the new lighting and general facelift, but I detest the new programming and forward travelling :(
- LegoBland in general. I've been there twice now, and I can safely say I don't care for it :p
- The panic to find fuel on the way back! Sods law the car decided to run dangerously low just 10 miles from home!

Also, a special announcement, but if anyone sees a browny-grey Skoda Fabia2 with a licence plate ending NUB, please avoid it. It tailed me most of the way home ;)

Jonathan said:
A couple of other things. I have discovered hell. It's called the Central line between Bond Street and Holborn during rush hour.

That is not even close to what the underground has to other. Try the Jubilee line from Canary Wharf when the DLR is down. Or try the Victoria Line with minor delays. That is real hell.

NEXT MEET: TS South: 8 - 9 June 2013

Ian said:
Also, a special announcement, but if anyone sees a browny-grey Skoda Fabia2 with a licence plate ending NUB, please avoid it. It tailed me most of the way home ;)
Think I've had problem with this driver as well, on the M25: speeding, cutting me up, overtaking dangerously etc. Definitely seems to be a bit of a menace, so avoid them...

:p

Islander said:
Ian said:
Think I've had problem with this driver as well, on the M25: speeding, cutting me up, overtaking dangerously etc. Definitely seems to be a bit of a menace, so avoid them...

:p

Try being in the same car as this madman! It's absolutely terrifying! ;)