• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST County Council Elections 2013

How have you/will you vote in the May 2nd county council election?

• Spoilt Ballot

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Can't vote

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Won't vote (Apathy)

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Won't vote (Political Reasoning)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Independent (no party) candidate

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Green Party Of England and Wales

• Liberal Democrat Party

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Conservative Party

• Labour Party

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
Meatpie what you have said there is not technically correct.
If you look on this link(appologies about the hyperlink but not sure on iPhone!) it shows that not only did the BNP field more candidates at the last election but also polled double the votes of the Green Party.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_2010

I does say a lot about our political system that a party can attract that many votes but not gain any seats.

Blaze said:
As far as I know, only the three main parties bother here, or at least actually have any form of support. It's pretty much exclusively Labour and Conservative, pretty evenly split, with Lib Dems a fair bit behind.

Can't vote Labour because they just give all the money to Widnes. And because they're a joke of a party.

Can't vote Lib Dem because they're even bigger a joke.

Can't vote Tory because I'd rather die.

So I'm stuck. I think I remember the Greens sent a leaflet around ages ago, so if they still have a presence here I'll consider them, but it's not like they have the support for it to matter.
At least you get a good cinema. ;)
Although I do agree that we get more than you in Runcorn though. ;)

Generally, the pattern is Conservative to save money, the Labour to spend it all, then Conservative to save, Labour to spend etc.

I still don't see the point in voting for a bunch of liars to run your county though...

Personally I like to wait for a party to learn how to spell its candidates names before voting for them.

2628_3451.jpeg

*Tudhoe

Andrew said:
At least you get a good cinema. ;)
Although I do agree that we get more than you in Runcorn though. ;)

I want an ice rink!

ChocolateStarfish - Firstly, like it or not, we have a First Past the Post system, and on the basis of our electoral system, where a party has to convince a constituency to vote for a parliamentary representative, the Greens by far out-perform the BNP.

Also, comparing the 2010 General election to this County council election is completely illogical since the state of the BNP is in a very different place, and have polled far far fewer candidates this time round.

You are right though, if I was running a poll for the 2010 election, the BNP would be a 'legitimate' candidate, having filed many more candidates. That is not the case here.

ChocolateStarfish said:
If you look on this link(appologies about the hyperlink but not sure on iPhone!) it shows that not only did the BNP field more candidates at the last election but also polled double the votes of the Green Party.

I does say a lot about our political system that a party can attract that many votes but not gain any seats.

You still haven't explained why you're voting for a hate-filled fascist organisation. Also, I'd be careful with that iPhone if I were you, it was probably made by foreign people. :eek:

But you miss the obvious fact that there's loads of BnP (Someone fix my n key please) candidates.

They're just running as UKIP candidates this time.

Sam said:
ChocolateStarfish said:

You still haven't explained why you're voting for a hate-filled fascist organisation. Also, I'd be careful with that iPhone if I were you, it was probably made by foreign people. :eek:

I'd vote for them because I agree with more of there policies than the other parties, isn't that the idea of elections?
I certainly don't agree with everything they stand for and some of there policies are revolting but you could say that about any political party.

Oh and The iPhone is made in China along with just about everything else!

Meatpie, hands up you have a point about the council elections and I don't have those figures, basically councils should be abolished anyway as they are a waste of money!

ChocolateStarfish said:
basically councils should be abolished anyway as they are a waste of money!

Erm... well, I don't really know what to do with that.

I hate to be presumptuous, but I think you've possibly misunderstood what councils are?

Or are you seriously suggesting that every single public function, right down to the micromanagement of Sheffield's libraries or Bristol's leisure centres should be operated centrally from Westminster...?

Please explain to me how you propose to abolish local councils, and what you would do with the schools, police services, fire stations, housing authorities, waste disposal services, libraries, social services, local transport, planning services, road maintenance and leisure centres that currently fall under their remit? :/

Privatise them?

"Hello, yes, my house is on fire, come quick!"

"Ok madame, just enter your credit card number and security code..."

What a great idea, Instead of the MP's in Westminster decide on how we should be helping the economy out of debt, let's have them decide on how often the bins are emptied in Lowestoft

Green for me. Same sort of sentiments that Meat Pie mentioned in the original post. Green Party sits well with me, certainly better than any of the others.

I don't want to get into a whole thing about it but the argument that supporting BNP is justified as long as you say that 'some of their policies are revolting' but you agree with some of their other policies is utterly senseless, imo. Granted, no political parties can please everyone and all of them have certain ideas that aren't 'for the people'. But the BNP and similar parties take it to a completely different level, and I personally just do not understand how anybody can support them.

Blaze said:
There's elections this week?

This. Had no idea.

Now I'm aware... and .....now I've stopped caring.

It's bit sad really. I did politics at A level, it was the only subject that I found really inspiring and interesting. I was very much on the side of believing that voting if your eligible should be compulsory!

That was nearly ten years ago. Nowdays I’m so resentful of politics that I probably won’t get off my bum for the next general election, let alone this. :p

I can't vote because I never got round to registering on the roll at my new house. I'd probably vote Labour, even though it wouldn't make a difference round here.

These will be the first elections, I'm old enough to vote now and I am making sure I am - It's all rather exciting but the attitude of some of my peers (which goes along the lines of "meh, might as well vote") can get kinda annoying especially when they vote BNP because immigrants!

I, however will be voting Green, I really like their policies particularly on education and getting rid of Trident.

I'd vote but... I can't really be bothered. I mean, I might on my way to work if I have time but I have no knowledge of the local candidates or the local policies and thus I feel I'd be wasting my vote if I do go... Equally, there's been very little publicity of this...

My vote will go to the BNP because I am sick to the back teeth of these free-loading scourges on society. How dare they bring their culture, work ethic, experience, global awareness and difference to our fair nation? I am so disgusted at these minorities that I may go burn down a bus stop and send the bill to the Romanian embassy. [/sarcasm] Green.

I really don't know what to do. My choices are...

Labour
UK Independence
Conservative
Green
Local Independents
Liberal Democrat

I'm a floater. I know local council elections are an entirely different thing to general elections and should be viewed as such but I can't help be influenced by what goes on nationally. My last vote was conservative and in all honesty I agree with much of what they are doing now and their overall plan, but some of the ways they are doing it are horrific. They are out then, along with Labour who balllsed it all up in the first place acting like the Tories they supposedly weren't but somehow even worse.

The green party have a unique way of making me want to punch myself in the face even though I agree with much of their policy, too much do-gooding is not what we need. I'll unfairly bunch Liberal Democrats and UKIP together as they both appear to be as mad as a box of frogs and not capable of running a bath.

So that leaves my local independents, who for a local council seem to make perfect sense with no orders to follow from on high. Always the concern they'll be much weaker though without a party backing.

So I really don't know. One thing for sure though, I will be voting. I think not doing so is disgusting, even if you do turn up and spoil your paper effectively registering a 'none of the above'.

pluk said:
One thing for sure though, I will be voting. I think not doing so is disgusting, even if you do turn up and spoil your paper effectively registering a 'none of the above'.

That statement is the most common sence I've seen in this thread, thousands of people have died to give us the opportunity to vote and to just not bother disrespects every single one of them.
I'll be turning up to vote just to write "waste of money" on the ballot paper.

My personal view is voting should be compulsory.