• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST... Y U NO CHAT?!

Scott

Former TS Team Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Oi, fellow lovely members of TowersStreet - there's a chatroom on this here website. Remember?

http://www.towersstreet.com/chat

Just in case you forgot... 'cos there's never anyone blimmin' there anymore, and it sucks. I miss the days when the place would be bustling with members chatting about utter nonsense for hours on end! It was the thing that got me into TTF of old and led me to having a whole heap of you on Facebook and making me feel part of the community... It used to still be busy on here too, but has died a death of late.

Let's all get back on Chat again? For giggles?

And don't tell me you're all on Skype now... I don't do Skype :p

Edited >> Sazzle >> language!! Oh, and text size :p

The simple answer is, all the cool kids are doing Skype now. Why aren't you? You're not a square, are you?

I just gave up trying. Every time I went in there, no one would be there, and haven't even bothered for a few weeks now. I reckon it's the same for everyone.

It has seen a few good nights on TST, but these were a while ago.

I'll go in there tonight, if anyone else wants to.

DiogoJ42 said:
The simple answer is, all the cool kids are doing Skype now. Why aren't you? You're not a square, are you?
Square is the new cool ;)

But no, I've never been much of a Skype kinda person tbh :/

But... typing is sooooooo 20th century. This is 2012. We have group calls and even group video now.

I think Chat needs the return of Joely Radio to kick it back in to life. Other than that (where audio is not an option because you are all listening to Joel), I can't see this quaint "typing" thing catching on.

DiogoJ42 said:
But... typing is sooooooo 20th century. This is 2012. We have group calls and even group video now.

I think Chat needs the return of Joely Radio to kick it back in to life. Other than that (where audio is not an option because you are all listening to Joel), I can't see this quaint "typing" thing catching on.

Typing? Ain't no typing here...

I always liked chat but could vary rarely use it. I have quite a strong security software on my computer which is great most of the time but wouldn't allow me onto the menace that is TT/TS chat. The only way to get on was to shut down all the security settings, not something I'd do on a whim.

Skype sounds interesting though. I've never used it before as all my mates back home got into using Windows Live way before Skype became the cool thing and didn't see the point in transferring as they can both do a fairly similar thing. I'd be tempted though to join a mass TST group call.

Chats always had dramatic ups and downs we haven't focused much on it as we have been busy on the site but I'm sure it will have a new peak soon

I miss Chat but even I feel it's faded away due to there not being as much freedom with people as there used to be (Jobs, education, LIVES). I would love for Chat to go into a renaissance of conversation but in order for that to happen, we need a spark of excitement or an event of some sort to make people want to join in. If you get what I mean.

Skype is all well and good but it has a few problems which chat does not have. First, it's decentralised, so you need to know someone who's already in a call to be added to it (not to mention that the main call could be moved around at any time and started up elsewhere), and second, it has a fixed limit of people in a call, and you actively have to keep on top of that limit if you want to be able to make calls. Chat has neither of these restrictions - it's in a single place and it's virtually got no limit of how many people can drop in and out when they like.

I miss the days of having long chats back on TTF Chat, and I do hope it will revive again soon here :)

Jordan makes a very very good point. Chat was the place where Skype chats were planned, and how people got to join in and come along. Skype is great but it should be in addition to chat, otherwise how do our wonderful new members get to know people in the mass environment that is chat :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The problem with Skype is that you have to devote most of your attention to it. Many people like myself have the technology but prefer chat because you can listen to music and get on with other stuff.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

I find the oposite. Because skype is a voice chat, you can surf other things while in the call. When Chat is busy, if you look away from your screen you miss loads.

I also find the opposite, I have to pay attention to chat, otherwise I forget about it and lose the convo, atleast skype gives you notification's when messages appear that you can check at your leasure. Also I listen to music on voice chat... and considering I can only hear in the side of my head that pays more attention to music (allegedly) and still hear everyone it shouldn't be a problem to anyone else! ;)

But yes I see the disadvantages of skype being you have to know people... I just want to disagree with Sam.

The biggest problem has been that there has been no draw to chat yet. No official chat events, nothing over decent to talk about. During closed season and when TST kicks off properly, then Im sure chat will become popular once again.

How about we all have a big chat on Friday night?
Then people may use chat more often.

It's just a thought, but it would be nice to talk to some people.

I don't Skype, I don't like the whole webcam side of it and I've been far too lazy to download it.

Myself and Joel have discussed the chat feature before, and do have plans (very rough plans atm) to organise set chat sessions with such lovely people as, well, me and Joel, but with things planned.
I think presently chat has become a victim of our other pressing issues mainly the site, once that launches the majority of the team will have more time to play.

In fairness, we don't always use webcams. It's normally just voice. The webcams usually come in to play when someone gets tipsy and hillarity ensues.... ;)