• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

The whole thing has become so farcical it's actually become kind of comicial. The talks from Robert Peston about not ruling Boris Johnson out or returning would literally just be a big "eff you" to the whole country. I'm surprised she only lasted 44 days, but then again, I'm also not surprised.

The irony of course is Cameron called for the EU Referendum to try and unite the Conservative party, specifically to keep the ERG on side, and six years later the party is more split than ever. Slow clap.

Literally seeing the Conservative party split before our eyes. Fascinating as a politics fan, but equally terrible since you know, we have to live here.

In my case, I left seven years ago, before the rot really began to set in. Still, watching the country be split in half and then carved up from afar is not pleasant, and I hope we can soon move to a less tumultuous period. It is indeed fascinating, like watching a once-confident giant stumble over and accidentally crush the Home Counties, which seemed unthinkable even just a few years ago. While I personally have my doubts as to how a presumably incumbent Labour party will handle the inequalities of the economy post-Brexit, it is at least somewhat reassuring to see there is a limit to how far politicians can push the public's patience when it comes to the extremes of free-market ideology. The rejection of Kwarteng's mini-budget and the absolute chaos it triggered was, I hope, an important lesson to be learned and not something we ever have to revisit as a country again any time soon.

Would be a perfect time for another country to attack ours right now given the lack of any working government……

Anyway, aside from that, yes apparently Boris will run again for pm. Would be good if King Charles were to step in here and demand the country gas a general election, or perhaps the rules need to be changed with regards how many prime ministers a country can have within a term of government before a general election is automatically triggered.

At this rate Charles might as well say to hell with government we'll go REALLY old school and be a ruling monarch.
Speaking of the royals, it was always an impressive statistic being touted that The Queen had seen 15 Prime Ministers during her 70 year reign. Once the new PM is in next week, Charles will already be 13.3% there to matching that and at the current run rate beat it within 2 and a bit years 😂

There is only one person with a public mandate to govern for the next two years, step forward Mr Johnson.
Say what you like about the man but it can’t be denied he has a mandate, he won a GE with a large majority, he should be given the chance to go to the country again.

For a complete lack of compassion, competence, care for standards and corruption he should be given another chance? Insanity. Should be one of last people coming anywhere near power again.

There is only one person with a public mandate to govern for the next two years, step forward Mr Johnson.
Say what you like about the man but it can’t be denied he has a mandate, he won a GE with a large majority, he should be given the chance to go to the country again.
This was you last month though?...
Brown was also different to Blair that’s how it goes, you vote for a local MP in this country not a certain PM.
Of course, to say people vote solely for their local MP in general elections isn't strictly correct. They stand on a national party manifesto in addition to local issues, and regardless of what the rules are - there is a general acceptance that people mainly vote for a party and for who they want to be leader over their local MP.

However, the idea that Boris still has a mandate is pretty laughable considering the opinion polls and the arguments within the Conservative party. The party manifesto that he stood on is approaching 3 years old and so many promises made in it have been either broken or failed to even materialise. Let's also not forget that a leader can only be a leader if they command the majority of their party. He lost that, a mere 3 and a bit months ago. He's hardly been seen since, so I don't see how he could remotely demonstrate how he has even attempted to repair that relationship. Despite what some of his supporters have been touting this afternoon, he hardly has the "national interest" at heart when he hasn't even voted since he quit and swanned off on multiple holidays and speaking engagements since, neglecting to even bother with his own constituents.

Let's also not forget that this is an MP who is still under active investigation by The Commons Privileges Committee. The whole idea is the complete opposite of the stability that's desperately needed.

His party voted no confidence in large numbers, ultimately making his position untenable and causing his resignation. For him to be welcomed back would call the judgement of every single one of those MPs who previously voted against him *a few months ago* into serious question

This is honestly the most mental, bizarre and perhaps ignorance tinted comments I’ve ever read in my life. Think I’ll mute this thread 🤯😑🙄

I think @BigT is saying that if Boris did come back then he should put it to the country and let them decide again.

I don't see any issue with that.

Whoever gets the job should announce a general election date. Possibly next spring.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I think @BigT is saying that if Boris did come back then he should put it to the country and let them decide again.

I don't see any issue with that.

Whoever gets the job should announce a general election date. Possibly next spring.

I get what he's saying, but my point still stands in that he failed to command the support of the majority of his MPs so he's lost his mandate to stand as leader again, regardless of what was won in 2019.

Edit: The 1922 Committee have confirmed that candidates will need the backing of at least 100 MPs to be able to stand, with nominations open between now and Monday at 2pm. There'll be a membership vote at the end of the week, although that's a very high bar so it's not entirely outside the realms of possibility that we have a new PM Monday. That high bar will likely put Johnson off going for it, he wouldn't want to lose.

1666284614842.png
Source: BBC News

Last edited:
I get what he's saying, but my point still stands in that he failed to command the support of the majority of his MPs so he's lost his mandate to stand as leader again, regardless of what was won in 2019.
Yes , it would be difficult for him to get enough support from fellow MP's , no doubt about that.

But the Tory party is so split at the moment I doubt any candidate would be universally supported.

It's clearly damage limitation at the next election for them. So they need a candidate that can save them as many seats as possible. That could be Boris . Then again it could backfire completely.

Yes , it would be difficult for him to get enough support from fellow MP's , no doubt about that.

But the Tory party is so split at the moment I doubt any candidate would be universally supported.

It's clearly damage limitation at the next election for them. So they need a candidate that can save them as many seats as possible. That could be Boris . Then again it could backfire completely.

Oh without a doubt it's damage limitation, I said earlier there is not a single good outcome for the Tories at the moment. However, the question I'd pose on the Johnson front is that it's already been demonstrated that the party cannot function under the brand of politics and leadership which he brought to the table - so why would you attempt to bring it back, regardless of the future?

They need someone who can have the whole party singing from the same hymn sheet and be a calming, grown up influence. Johnson is far too divisive for that, having been responsible for the very split seen in the party at the moment.