• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

ULEZ

My 2015 diesel Skoda OTOH is affected - I made a trip the Saturday before last specifically to get on Mandrill Mayhem before the charge came into effect. Don’t have masses of funds to replace it right now so won’t be driving there anymore in my own car.

3 of the other 4 cars in the house are also affected; the only one not is a Fiat 500.

I do think the ULEZ will have an impact on people outside London’s willingness to visit Chessington to be honest. Even if you were a pass holder from very close by who loved the place, having to shell out £12.50 to drive there every time is going to put you off.

My 2016 reg diesel car doesn't need to pay for it.

Can't help but feel the ULEZ fear mongering is overrated.

For someone that is usually (and I'm not being sarcastic) on the compassionate side I'm surprised you'd think it's OK tofor issues like pricing people living outside of ULEZ out of their hospital commute (inside ULEZ) with no support at all. Even I know 2 people in this exact situation, and I don't even know many people because I generally don't like people.

It's a system that penalises the poorest hardest. It's the least Labour thing I think I've ever seen a Labour administration do, and if the tories were doing it this place would be full of burning pitchforks.

I'm loving tye neighbouring councils refusing to put up signage, potentially making the charge unenforceable at many entry points. Will he an interesting test case when it occurs...

Started a new thread to avoid the Chessington one going off-topic.

For someone that is usually (and I'm not being sarcastic) on the compassionate side I'm surprised you'd think it's OK tofor issues like pricing people living outside of ULEZ out of their hospital commute (inside ULEZ) with no support at all. Even I know 2 people in this exact situation, and I don't even know many people because I generally don't like people.

It's a system that penalises the poorest hardest. It's the least Labour thing I think I've ever seen a Labour administration do, and if the tories were doing it this place would be full of burning pitchforks.

I'm loving tye neighbouring councils refusing to put up signage, potentially making the charge unenforceable at many entry points. Will he an interesting test case when it occurs...

The poorest within London don't even have cars. This will benefit most of them by improving health by cutting pollution. Cutting down private car ownership and concentrating on public transport services does very much seem like the sort of thing Labour should be doing, especially in London where public transport is good.

The Tories did do it though, expanding ULEZ was a condition for London to get emergency funding for Transport For London during the pandemic. Weird how they didn't force any conditions for bailouts onto anyone else.
The Conservatives only required the ULEZ expansion to the North and South circulars, the whole London ULEZ was Khan's idea

What’s interesting is that if you look on the ULEZ map, the little sticky out elephant trunk on the bottom left is literally just Chessington and a few surrounding villages.

The surrounding towns of Epsom and Esher are classed as Surrey rather than Greater London, and the historical reasons for this is because the residents turned their noses up at the idea of being part of Greater London. All these years later, it’s allowed them to escape ULEX (but pay far higher bus fares than neighbouring Londoners)

I know this will make me unpopular but I'm actually in favour of ULEZ but there needs to be improvements to public transport between outer London and surrounding counties in terms of number of routes, frequency and cost. To use Chessington as an example, whilst a trip from Woking would be relatively fast (Train to Surbiton, bus to the park), the fare on weekdays would be £14.30 for adults and £7.15 for children (you would need to pay the peak fare or you would lose time at the park). If you're paying £42.90 for the train fare then you might as well pay ULEZ.

Is Thorpe outside the ULEZ zone? Was considering a trip next year.

P.S - Surprisingly, the TFL website tells me that my 14 year old 2.0l petrol Volvo is ULEZ compliant (apart from Central London).

Last edited:
It’s the residents of areas of London with poor public transport connections like Thamesmead I really feel for. Areas like that, which historically have not been particularly well off, are being hit massively disproportionately compared to others.

Is Thorpe outside the ULEZ zone? Was considering a trip next year.
It is, yes. Staines isn’t considered part of Greater London.

Frankly amused by Londoners complaining in any manner about travel. Billions invested in the most disproportionately extravagant public transport systems in the country whilst the North soldiers on with 1 an hour diesel trains. Not an ounce of pity from me!

Because I live on a busy main road, the good old devil's highway, I am likely to die around two and a half years sooner than I would if I lived a hundred yards away.
All for it I'm afraid.
When I get my brand new thirty year old Volvo estate (jealous mr zola?) I will be going nowhere near that London.
Sad for the grannies who can't afford to visit the grandkids the same...but I'm sure lots of grandkids will be pleased.

Surely having to pay to park at the hospital for majority of people does far worse than this?

I honestly dread to think how much parking would've been last year with the Mrs being pregnant and a number of visits.

For me it just seems to be a stick used to beat Khan with because of this "what about the poor?" line by staunch Tory/Right Wing supporters who are also then turning a blind eye to all the other issues that many face. Especially in London where the majority of public transport is actually quite good, compared to Leeds' current attempt at being anti-car in the city I'd probably prefer it.

End of the day much like the Congestion Charge it will likely make zero difference to many people's lives. That doesn't stop most of central London being a car park.

3 of the other 4 cars in the house are also affected; the only one not is a Fiat 500.

And here is where one of the main issues is with modern life. One household has 4 cars. Depending on where you live this can be an absolute necessity in order to survive, but at the same time is the main problem with not only parking and road space, but pollution as well. Though I'm sure in 17 odd years we'll end up with at least 2 cars at the house, though hopefully by then EV/Hybrid stuff will be better.

However until the country improves the public transport infrastructure we will remain stuck in putting sticking plaster solutions in order to keep the future going. But that won't happen until many areas become far more willing to accept construction needs to happen and our system improves to prevent projects from overspending to ridiculous fashions.

I must be mad but I’m heading to Chessington tomorrow, will have to pay the ULEZ charge on our 2012 diesel C-max. Going to swallow the charge on this occasion but it’ll be our first and only visit of the season, I get the premise behind it but over multiple visits that £12.50 charge soon adds up and we can’t afford to replace the car at present.

Would have visited before this came into force but we haven’t really had the opportunity and we wanted to make sure our smallest child was over 1.2 this time so they can go on Mandrill Mayhem and Dragons Fury.

And here is where one of the main issues is with modern life. One household has 4 cars. Depending on where you live this can be an absolute necessity in order to survive, but at the same time is the main problem with not only parking and road space, but pollution as well. Though I'm sure in 17 odd years we'll end up with at least 2 cars at the house, though hopefully by then EV/Hybrid stuff will be better.

We have 8 cars in our household. Newest is nearly 14 years old, 1 of mine is the oldest turning 58 years old this week. We keep some in storage, 3 at home. Listening to people saying we are wrong for owning them just turns people against the debate as a whole. Thankfully they're all ULEZ exempt and 3 of them are tax and MoT exempt.

The 5 younger vehicles if specced with different engines could fall foul of ULEZ. Recycling a car for 20 years has to be better than buying 4 or 5 new ones in that time for the planet?

We have 8 cars in our household. Newest is nearly 14 years old, 1 of mine is the oldest turning 58 years old this week. We keep some in storage, 3 at home. Listening to people saying we are wrong for owning them just turns people against the debate as a whole. Thankfully they're all ULEZ exempt and 3 of them are tax and MoT exempt.

The 5 younger vehicles if specced with different engines could fall foul of ULEZ. Recycling a car for 20 years has to be better than buying 4 or 5 new ones in that time for the planet?
It’s all to do with air quality, but my 40 year old Ford is exempt from it due to the historic vehicle tax that it now qualifies for.

Obviously classics are likely to be used a lot less than daily drivers but it kind of makes me laugh a bit as it’s contradictory.

Can’t drive them all at once anyway.