• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Walygator : Past and Future

Re: Walygator : The end is coming

The trouble with a 5 million Euro price tag is that I can't see what other park would be after it. 5 million is too much for the likes of LWV, Oakwood, Drayton or some other similar park, but it is also not worth it for an established park that would be able to buy a new custom ride for a little bit more.

Which is a shame as it really sounds like a great ride.

I'm sure that if Walygator have to sell someone else will buy it (we've never seen a B&M get scrapped yet) but it could end up just about anywhere in the world. Probably somewhere with a large open space and no major restrictions.

I've got a fear it will end up back in Asia, thats where the money and investment seems to be at the moment. I doubt if it is sold that it will remain in Europe, which is a crying shame and shows what a huge investment and risk it really was for Walygator.

While the ride cost Walygator around €5M wasn't a large amount of the price paid for by the department council, as they wanted to attract more tourism, and thought funding this would solve it?

After all the repairs the ride will need I wouldn't be surprised for it to come to at least €8-9M without any real theming. It's a lot of money for a third hand ride!

As for the MCBR it'll need it putting in to run 3 trains. It'll probably also need to go back in to keep B&M happy (Along with the many other things it needs doing :p ).

All in all though I'll be surprised if it stays in Europe. Unless somewhere like Rainbow Magicland or similar are feeling lucky :p

Oh, and on the subject of their rapids, they look weird, but awesome :p

It was a risk they should never have taken. I always say this 5 millions would have been better to have a better maintenance, and to renew some part of the park that are really old. It actually already looks like a closed park.
And Monster didn't gave them many more guest. They never had the number of guest expected since they built monster. It's not surprising when you see the park, as good as monster his, it can't change the atmosphere of the park, which is the real problem.

And yes Ian, it was partly paid by the council but can't tell you how much!

Re: Re: Walygator : The end is coming

Fredward said:
DiogoJ42 said:
Looks like I'll never get to ride Monster then :(

To think we drove right passed the place in october, so close yet so far! ;)
Don't look at me, I was the one who suggested a detour to ride it.

Such a shame, but in all fairness, the rest of the park was quite literally rotting away.

Monster nearly pulled my legs off in the final few helixes! An excellent coaster, but not given the love it deserves.. open air station, train parts scattered around, severe lack of safety systems.

I wish it could come to the UK, but I think that is but a dream!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

It'd probably be cheaper for a park to just clone its layout and have their own put together than transport it elsewhere and have it maintenance and refurbished and repainted. Especially if it only cost 5 million euros in the first place!

Walygator : The end is coming

But this is B&M we're talking about, where sparkling new quality doesn't come cheap!

Whilst £5million does sound like a hefty sum for a British park, do bare in mind that Blackpool's current dark ride refurb is costing £5.25million.

The Psychoaster said:
It'd probably be cheaper for a park to just clone its layout and have their own put together than transport it elsewhere and have it maintenance and refurbished and repainted. Especially if it only cost 5 million euros in the first place!

I'm not quite sure I follow. Even with the cost of replacing the control systems, referbing the trains and a repaint, it would still be a bargain. A new model would probably cost over 15 million euros. I don't think new parts and a lick of paint would quite make up the difference.

Adam James said:
But this is B&M we're talking about, where sparkling new quality doesn't come cheap!

Whilst £5million does sound like a hefty sum for a British park, do bare in mind that Blackpool's current dark ride refurb is costing £5.25million.

£5.25 million that they could have spent much more wisely in about a million different ways.

Re: Re: Walygator : The end is coming

The Psychoaster said:
£5.25 million that they could have spent much more wisely in about a million different ways.
Indeed and it's something that's bothered me so much since I visited in it's year of opening with paint tins lying around and temporary fences all over.

It just seemed crazy to spend so much, and more importantly grant so much state aid for one single coaster. As others have said, the park was rotting away with discolored theming, rides closed and the car park nothing but a pot holed mess of bare earth and gravel. No matter how great of a ride it is for thrill seekers, if the rest of the park isn't up to scratch it's impossible to attract those big spending family visitors.

So much potential could be seen in that park, it's a shame :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe one of the many wealthy groups and individuals over in Dubai that tried to open various theme parks over the last few years could help them? After all, they didn't have enough money to build their own full-blown mega park from scratch, so why not go for something already established? :p

From the sounds of it, this park will probably need almost as much investment as starting from scratch! Poor thing.

The park is now officially on sale.
You can find some infos on that website.

I really don't think it will be sold to any major company, as they didn't wanted to buy it 6 years ago, before it became Walygator.

Also, here is a video from the parc in 1992, When it was named Walibi Schtroumpf. With a Smurf theming (Schtroumpf is the french name for the Smurfs).

http://youtu.be/35K2L1SoiiE

The website still sells annual passes and tickets for 2013!!

:eek:

Yes they do still sell annual passes. And they are planning to open the whole season in 2013.

I'm thinking we need a trip there next year then. Must... Ride... Monster!

DiogoJ42 said:
I'm thinking we need a trip there next year then. Must... Ride... Monster!

I'm up for that! :)

Monster is a super coaster.

Shame it's hideous, and aside from the rapids (which were hilarious) - the rest of the park is largely forgettable.

Good thing it's only a couple hours drive from EP.

:D