• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Watched anything good lately?

I'm 2 episodes in to Boat Story on iPlayer, absolutely loving it. Quite quirky, properly funny, but with enough menace and story to be quite a thriller too. The cast is quality as well, especially Daisy Haggard who can do no wrong.

I'm 2 episodes in to Boat Story on iPlayer, absolutely loving it. Quite quirky, properly funny, but with enough menace and story to be quite a thriller too. The cast is quality as well, especially Daisy Haggard who can do no wrong.
I’ve just watched the first episode and it was not quite what I expected but it was very intriguing

"Lessons In Chemistry" on Apple TV+ stars Brie Larson as Elizabeth Zott, a female chemist in 1950s America. I'm not going to say much else, for fear of giving the plot away, but it explores identity, gender and racial politics, in a very tight mini series with a brilliant cast. It's based on the book of the same name, but thankfully they mostly removed the talking dog.

"The Flying Scotsman" A wonderful documentary narrated by Tony Robinson I found on Prime Video last night. Just how a documentary should be with lots of fantastic footage and some really interesting archive footage of interviews with the former owners of the locomotive.

I recently finished watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine for the first time. My sister told me for years that she thought I’d really like it… and I have to say, she was right! I absolutely loved Brooklyn Nine-Nine!

All the characters are great. I particularly liked Jake Peralta, but I’d also have to say that Captain Holt gets more and more hilarious as the show goes on, and grew to possibly be my favourite character towards the end! In general, though, I think the whole ensemble are great and work really well together.

Pretty much every episode is really funny, and some of them were just utterly hilarious! If anything, I actually thought it got better as it went on; it certainly didn’t decline towards the end like some shows do, anyhow!

Another good thing I’d say about Brooklyn Nine-Nine compared to other American sitcoms I’ve watched is that it has really good Halloween episodes. On other American shows I’ve watched, the Halloween episodes often aren’t anything overly remarkable compared to the other episodes, but I absolutely loved the Halloween heist episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine! Whenever the characters battle each other to crown “the ultimate human/genius”, you’re in for a treat, in my view!

So overall, then, I absolutely loved Brooklyn Nine-Nine and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a feel-good, funny show to watch!

I watched "The Detectives: Taking Down an OCG" on BBC iPlayer a couple of nights ago. It's a 3 part documentary about a police operation to try to deal with a gang from up north in England involved in drugs. A thoroughly depressing snapshot into certain aspects of our country. But, a very good and interesting documentary. Definitely worth a watch. You can watch it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0d5wqv8/the-detectives

@pluk have you finished boat story now? I thought it was excellent - and wondering if they’re thinking of a spin off due to the post credits scene on the last episode?

Other things I’ve watched recently have been All the Light We Can Not See on Netflix. Set in France during the second word war this is a proper drama (as opposed to comedy drama) which unusual for me. I enjoyed it though - it wasn’t overly sentimental and told an interesting story of a young blind woman and the young German soldier tasked with finding her to stop her illegal radio broadcasts. Worth a watch.

Also recently re-watched Prep and Landing on Disney which is a tradition of ours. SAS style elves working for Santa, secret military stealth reindeer, coal elves and Carole in the bar - it’s brilliant. Don’t rate the 3rd part as much as the first two but it’s well worth a watch if you haven’t seen already and enjoy Pixar style story telling.

@pluk have you finished boat story now? I thought it was excellent - and wondering if they’re thinking of a spin off due to the post credits scene on the last episode?

Yes, loved it. So many of these things start strong then fade off, but I thought this was excellent until the end. I thought exactly that, felt like a set up for another series, really hope we get one.

The next one we've started is The Couple Next Door on chanel 4, in a similar comedy drama vein, so far it's not as funny but still compelling.

Just finished watching The Crown since the 2nd half of the last series was released about a week ago. Wasn’t overly fussed about series 5 or the first half of series 6, but the last 6 episodes I thought were pretty good. A lot seemed to happen in quick succession as they clearly had to fit in the more important events of the late 90’s/early 2000’s, as well as wrap the whole programme up.

The final scenes, being an abstract nod to the death of Prince Philip when he passed through what I saw to be the pearly gates, and then The Queen stepping through the grand door into the bright white light, was very poignant.

The casting in this programme has been nothing short of incredible. From the mannerisms and accents to the physical appearance of the characters is just mind blowing.

We've been rewatching the complete TNG era of Star Trek yet again. But with one important difference: This time round, rather than finishing one series before moving on to the next, we are interweaving them based on the stardate given in the Captain's log.
I cannot stress enough what a difference this makes! Late TNG and early DS9 form one cohesive story, with the same admirals and guls appearing on both shows during the Maquis story ark, which in itself was mostly there to set up Voyager.

Highly recommend it!
The suggested viewing order can be found here:

It seems to fly under the radar a bit, but I've just binged the third season of Upload on Prime. Definitely recommend. Ended on a good cliffhanger, they better commission another series...
Need to go back to this, I remember watching the start of season 1 when it debuted. However it was during the early lock down in 2020 so I just didn't vibe with story to the then climate.

Watched the Marvel animated What If... Season 2 over Xmas and for the most part enjoyed it. Though seeing as you can do whatever you want with animation it would be nice if they took bigger swings. The Native American episode was my favorite.

Also working though the great new American workplace comedy series Abbot Elementary that follows the teachers at a primary school in Philadelphia.

Mr Bates vs The Post Office on ITV/ITVX.

Drama based on the real life events of the Post Office IT scandal. This was both an amazing watch and a very hard watch - knowing this is a true story and what they put these people through had me incensed.

Highly recommended but do be careful of your blood pressure.

Drama based on the real life events of the Post Office IT scandal. This was both an amazing watch and a very hard watch - knowing this is a true story and what they put these people through had me incensed.

I'm currently half way through the series, and can confirm it's excellent but a very hard watch. I nearly teared up at one point!

Last edited:

One of my recent past times has been watching the coverage of the parliamentary inquiry into the scandal on YouTube. I shall add this to the list!

Just finished the last episode. I'd describe it as an emotional roller coaster, no pun intended—and thought-provoking, eye-opening, emotional, shocking, infuriating. It is a must-watch and I urge you to give the first episode a watch when you have an hour spare. Just be warned that it is a very difficult watch though.

I just watched the last episode last night. It's does an excellent job of shining a light on to the very strange way the Post Office operates.

It used to be quite rare, but Post Office Ltd renting space in supermarkets is becoming more common these days and I actually have one in my current store. All colleagues and their managers work for us and report to me (not Post Office Ltd) and you realise what a strange organisation it is. I won't bore you with the intricacies, but working for a private company and operating a concession that's wholly owned by the UK government is a real eye opener. As part of weird licencing conventions, we have financial transactions on a daily basis with them and it's interesting to say the least to see how 2 different organisations can do the same thing in entirely different ways. Let's put it this way, if it wasn't backed up by taxpayer cash, other banks, retailers and postal/parcel services would eat it alive in the private sector.

This drama series brilliantly portrays the way it abuses the powers it has, protects itself and struggles to traverse being a kind of public service that mostly operates within the private sector. This scandal is still going on to this day over 2 decades after it began. This would never be the case if it wasn't for this set-up. It is dramatised of course, but this stuff really did happen.