• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Watched anything good lately?

Just finished watching The Crown since the 2nd half of the last series was released about a week ago. Wasn’t overly fussed about series 5 or the first half of series 6, but the last 6 episodes I thought were pretty good. A lot seemed to happen in quick succession as they clearly had to fit in the more important events of the late 90’s/early 2000’s, as well as wrap the whole programme up.

The final scenes, being an abstract nod to the death of Prince Philip when he passed through what I saw to be the pearly gates, and then The Queen stepping through the grand door into the bright white light, was very poignant.

The casting in this programme has been nothing short of incredible. From the mannerisms and accents to the physical appearance of the characters is just mind blowing.
Yes some of the last series of the Crown wasn't great, the focus on Diana and William didn't feel right. But I loved the Princess Margaret episode, it was up there with the early seasons.

Finished The Crown today. I too don't think the last series was great. I've always accepted that some storylines are warped/made up for drama, but series 5 and moreso series 6 it's more clear what is fabricated and that has made it hard to feel as invested in the story. I loved the episode surrounding Princess Margaret though and the final scene in the final episode was a great way to end the show.

I didn't mind the Diana stuff, I thought it was written quite well and I'm glad it was all self-contained in part 1.

Overall it's a brilliant show with a great cast and high quality production.

There is an accompanying documentary to the drama which interviews the real life victims whose stories are depicted in the drama which is also worth a watch.

I watched this immediately after watching the drama, and I was so pleased with how truly the show illustrates the impact on those who were affected. It made me even more furious to see the actual footage of the Chief Executive giving non-answers to parliament!! Unbelievable. Fujitsu have an absolute responsibility to forensically investigate Horizon as a faulty product imposed into the business of thousands.

Hmm what else have I watched in my days battling with flu this week..

Lazarus Project (series 2).
As with anything time travel, it can get a bit confusing, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Have to admit the first series was stronger!

It’s A Sin.
Sorry… I’m a year or two behind everyone on this!! That said, what a show. I cried a couple of times, and the devastation of the illness really hit me. I hadn’t quite realised what AIDS did to the body and mind without treatment.

I’m sure I’ll get through some more..!

Watching Slow Horses (Apple TV) cracking MI5 drama starring Gary Oldman.

Watched season 1 last year but am getting into season 2 now. Season 3 was released last month and it's been renewed for a 5 season. (think season 4 has been filmed).

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. Most people werent very enthralled by the idea od a prequel book about President Snow's origin, but I was late to the Hunger Games hype and when I found them, I devoured them in 3 days. And when Ballad was announced I wasn't overly excited, either. But when I started to read it, I loved it and devoured it to.
I missed the film in cinemas and watched it on Prime last Sunday, and it is really a great adaptation. Not sure if it is my favourite in the series, but it's between that and Catching Fire.

I read the trilogy before the first film came out but kept away from the prequel book as it seemed pointless and unnecessary. However watching the film definitely changed my opinion.

Just made a start on 'The Offer' a Paramount+ show which tells a dramatised version of how The Godfather came to be turned into a movie. Love that era of Hollywood (will always reccomend the book Easy Riders Raging Bulls that covers the period) so was already aware of the likes of Paramount head Bob Evans.
A ten episode limited series, released in 2022, two episodes in and I'm very much enjoying it.

Currently watching The Tourist series 2. Liked series 1, and 2 is good so far.
Some of it is a bit silly (the return of Ethan is yet to be explained - why bother??) but for the main part it’s fairly fast paced with a few twists and definitely worth catching on iPlayer.

I read the trilogy before the first film came out but kept away from the prequel book as it seemed pointless and unnecessary. However watching the film definitely changed my opinion.

Just made a start on 'The Offer' a Paramount+ show which tells a dramatised version of how The Godfather came to be turned into a movie. Love that era of Hollywood (will always reccomend the book Easy Riders Raging Bulls that covers the period) so was already aware of the likes of Paramount head Bob Evans.
A ten episode limited series, released in 2022, two episodes in and I'm very much enjoying it.
The film is pretty faithful to the book, and it is a good origin story. I read somewhere that Suzanne Collins only writes a book if she feels it has a deeper meaning, which certainly rings true with this series when you think about them in terms of social commentary.

I've not heard of the Offer, but it sounds pretty interesting. I loved Saving Mr Banks, which is a similar premise.

Also, I'm sure many people have heard/seen this by now: Mr Bates Vs The Post Office.
I was so happy to learn that this had been made, as I have been deeply entrenched the Post Office Scandal for some years now, and it chills me to the bone what some of these honest, hardworking people were subjected to and the subjugation that occurred at the hands of the Post Office.
I still find it astonishing that it has taken an ITV mini-series to bring this issue into the public consciousness.
I am relieved to know that work is underway to help the victims be exonerated and be remunerated for their plight, but I am still not satisfied that those who were responsible at the top of the chain for the misery they inflicted on these people are not likely to be punished in any meaningful, vindicating way.
The public inquiry that is currently going on is fascinating also.
And if you saw that Stephen Bradshaw guy being interviewed, he is demonstrative of the rampant thuggery that was used in this process, I hope his life is made hell, now people know who he is and what he did.
This whole thing makes me so angry and frustrated!

Traitors on BBC One is on it's second series now, it's already produced some amazing TV Moments for the year!
Can't believe it ends this week, although that's probably a good thing for my mental health lol. 😂

I really hope Harry makes it to the end, but have a bad feeling that Ross will exact revenge and get him banished.

Traitors on BBC One is on it's second series now, it's already produced some amazing TV Moments for the year!
Edge of my seat in some of those round tables. It’s so easy to sit and scream at the tele but I am not so sure I could do it!

Absolutely love that Ross was furious for Diane being murdered, and now he’s recruited. I have a feeling it might not have been a smart move for Harry and Andrew…

Came across this today and it's genuinely unsettled me whilst watching it. It's 15 minutes long and about a guy who got stuck upside down whilst caving and how they went about trying to rescue him. Surprised I've not heard about it before. Anyway, if you're into chilling stuff (not that I am), might be worth a watch :fearscream:

I have known about this for a while now. I think from TikTok. There's a guy on there who does a "Worst deaths imaginable" series, and this gave me serious anxiety. I don't consider myself to be a claustrophobic person, but the idea of this just haunts me and I feel extreme anxiety when I consume media/documentaries about it.
I feel like you have to either, have some serious cojones, or missing something from your life to want to participate in an activity like this.

I have known about this for a while now. I think from TikTok. There's a guy on there who does a "Worst deaths imaginable" series, and this gave me serious anxiety. I don't consider myself to be a claustrophobic person, but the idea of this just haunts me and I feel extreme anxiety when I consume media/documentaries about it.
I feel like you have to either, have some serious cojones, or missing something from your life to want to participate in an activity like this.
Yeah, I feel the same. I felt very very uncomfortable watching it. I went caving once when I was with the cubs or on a school trip or something and I hated every second of it. I think most of us are naturally scared of these things to some degree as the bodies mechanism for self preservation, as they're obviously pretty reckless things to be doing. Won't catch me squeezing down any holes in the ground out of choice, that's for sure. Not a fan of heights either unless I'm strapped in. Crazy thing to be doing really. Like the people who free climb MASSIVE rock-faces.

It keeps on popping up on Twitter every few days.
Not sure what's worse the people who do that, or the ones who go scuba diving into underwater caves. Absolutely terrifying.

It's certainly not new, but I'd never seen it before and put Suits on the other day. Some of the story is engaging and amusing, but character wise I've never seen a program where everyone so unlikeable. Who am supposed to be rooting for, to care about? I'd happily see them all Reynholm out of a window.

Had it recorded on my Virgin box since it aired in January on Channel 4, but I've just got round to watching the 3 part documentary series How to Catch a Copper.

It follows Avon and Somerset Constabulary's internal investigation team as they look into the conduct of their own officers. As it follows my local force (I even recognised one of the coppers as I met her a few weeks ago), it has gathered a lot of controversy locally. On one hand the justification for making it was to try and shake the poor reputation the force has had, and to reassure people that some of the headline scandals that have dogged the force recently have more to them than meets the eye. On the other, it's been criticised for putting unfair pressure on police officers as they carry out very complex work.

After watching it, I'm mixed on it. There was one incident that happened in my home town (I won't mention it), yet it angered me (and the investigation team themselves it seems) how the copper managed to get away with it. By opening up the file to the public, it seems to have actually served to reinforce the public held views on the case. Another showed an officer finally being collared for a track record of behaviour over a long period of time, where he didn't leave breadcrumbs, but actually whole loaves as a trail to follow, and you wonder what kind of an organisation can be so ineffective for such a length of time.

However on the other hand, it frustrated me just how under scrutiny some officers are for just doing their jobs. The second episode showed fingers being pointed at officers for doing nothing wrong. Even from the body worn footage you can see officers doing nothing wrong, or just acting on the knowledge they have of the situation at the time. There was one example of a vile human being, who was clearly playing up to the crowd in the most appalling way, being defended by faith leaders, community leaders, and even the mayor, with the police being dragged through the mud based on social media hype. Yet even when you could clearly see that the officers had no choice but to act the way they did and were cleared of any wrong doing, the criticism continued afterwards.

I know it's edited in a way for higher TV ratings, but it's left me feeling less confident in the force that it did before. There's officers getting away with quite absurd acts, but there's also officers under unfair pressure and criticism for doing difficult jobs yet still being heavily criticised even once the facts have been established.

So I have to agree with the Police Federation's criticism of airing it. It sounds like a horrible environment to work in.