• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Watched anything good lately?

Just finished season 4 of Lower Decks.
It may just be the greatest Star Trek of all time.

Been watching loads of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia recently. Started it years ago but picking it back up now, absolutely hilarious.
Yeah, absolutely amazing. Watched it about 4 years ago. It was one of those when I put off watching the last few episodes at the time as I didn't want it to end (like Curb Your Enthusiasm). Some of the very non-PC is amazing, especially in the earlier seasons. Top show, if you're into that type of stuff. I think we have a member called Rickety Cricket here too :laughing:

The Fallout series is brilliant. They really captured the essence, environment and dark humour from the games. I was really impressed, you’re in for a real treat for the rest of the series!

They had to make it good after the brilliant job HBO have done with The Last of Us. If this is the standard for video game tv adaptations we can come to expect going forward, I want more.

I would not say no to a Red Dead Redemption tv adaptation.

Finished 3 Body Problem on Netflix. Started off gripped, lots of strange happenings, people seeing things that weren’t there, science suddenly failing. But then about episode 4 it just got a bit boring and by episode 8 (the last) I had lost interest. Shame they seem to have set it up for a second series rather than getting on with it and finishing the story in one. I fear it may go down the Lost route, for those old enough to remember that debacle.

Watched a standup comedy show on Netflix last night by someone called Neal Brennan. The show was titled 'Crazy Good'. I'd never heard of him before, but the IMDB ratings looked good and I think I saw somewhere that he had previously done some writing for Chapelle's Show. So, I gave it a chance.

It was actually pretty good. It did actually make me genuinely laugh out loud in a couple of places, which isn't overly common. It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely worth a watch and I enjoyed it. I see he has a couple of older shows on Netflix so I will be checking them out in due course.

The Fallout series is brilliant. They really captured the essence, environment and dark humour from the games. I was really impressed, you’re in for a real treat for the rest of the series!

They had to make it good after the brilliant job HBO have done with The Last of Us. If this is the standard for video game tv adaptations we can come to expect going forward, I want more.

Fallout is sort of its own show as its original characters in an existing world whereas The Last Of Us is (mostly) a direct copy of the original game and its plot.

I think the issue with attempting to adapt Red Dead Redemption (or GTA for that matter) is the games are very much layered with sequences that lift directly from existing films and TV shows.

Horizon Zero Dawn would be my pick, though I imagine the CGI needed for that show would make it too costly.

Fallout is sort of its own show as its original characters in an existing world whereas The Last Of Us is (mostly) a direct copy of the original game and its plot.

I think the issue with attempting to adapt Red Dead Redemption (or GTA for that matter) is the games are very much layered with sequences that lift directly from existing films and TV shows.

Horizon Zero Dawn would be my pick, though I imagine the CGI needed for that show would make it too costly.
I agree on pretty much everything you say here. Red Dead Redemption (1&2), while both great games, didn't do anything that hasn't been seen multiple times in westerns before.
While they would make a great show/film, they wouldn't bring anything new to the table.

The Last of Us was a completely new concept in terms of dealing with an infection that reanimates dead bodies, and focuses more on the character development than the dead (The Walking Dead aside as not a game adaptation, but also went very stale after season 3/4), and has characters that are very relatable and lovable.

I know that it will never happen, but some 9 years ago, or so, there was a game related called The Order 1886, which was a PS4 exclusive. It didn't sell particularly well, as it focused more eon being a cinematic experience (like Until Dawn) than on gameplay.
I think this game would work incredibly well as a high budget TV show.
It's probably very cheap now, so if you have a PS4/5 and looking for something with good story and characters, I recommend this.

Never played any of the games before, in fact in general I don’t play RPGs. However wow what a series! I actually binge-watched the whole thing over one evening and the next morning. Never done that before. That’s how gripping this stuff is.

Kind of makes me feel like playing the games for the first time! Also, the better be a season two!

Was confirmed yesterday it's been renewed for a season 2.
Good stuff!

Just tried to get into the games but I just don't feel RPGs are my bag. One minute you think you're going somewhere then you get attacked by some random enemy only to run out of amo. And tbh, I can't be bothered with the whole side-quest finding amo and crafting stuff. It just gets old really quickly. As a TV series though I definitely enjoy it, and hopefully it might inspire some sort of "Vault Management" or "City Re-Colonisation" strategy-style game that I'd be much more into!

Good stuff!

Just tried to get into the games but I just don't feel RPGs are my bag. One minute you think you're going somewhere then you get attacked by some random enemy only to run out of amo. And tbh, I can't be bothered with the whole side-quest finding amo and crafting stuff. It just gets old really quickly. As a TV series though I definitely enjoy it, and hopefully it might inspire some sort of "Vault Management" or "City Re-Colonisation" strategy-style game that I'd be much more into!
There is Fallout Shelter which might be more your thing? It’s free as well.

Just finished watching civil war (2024), thought it was superb.

A24 really are at the forefront of interesting American cinema. Although I think the director was British?

Great to see America making subversive cinema, in a similar vain to Joker, Cloverfield and Monsters.

Well worth a watch. But see it in a cinema

Just finished watching civil war (2024), thought it was superb.

A24 really are at the forefront of interesting American cinema. Although I think the director was British?

Great to see America making subversive cinema, in a similar vain to Joker, Cloverfield and Monsters.

Well worth a watch. But see it in a cinema
Yes, British Director, Alex Garland.
He's also a novelist. He wrote The Beach, which was adapted into the film by Danny Boyle, and they also collaborated on 28 Days Later, and Sunshine.