• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Watched anything good lately?

Absolutely love that show, however I can see that the crude humour and cringeworthy scenarios aren't for everyone.

I'm not sure I'd agree that it hasn't aged well though, at least not in the same way that Fawlty Towers hasn't. It's intentionally offensive (in the same way that Frankie Boyle's stand-up is offensive) and I think you either find that funny or you don't. True, the main characters often insult women, the disabled, the elderly etc. but that's kind of a commentary on the mindsets and attitudes of a lot of teenage boys which I personally thought was spot on, at the time it was made at least.

The casting is brilliant as well, especially Greg Davies as the sadistic head of sixth form. Even funnier when you know he used to be a teacher for real.
Fair enough; I guess it's more that I don't find that type of intentionally offensive humour especially funny myself. That appears to be quite a controversial one, and my dislike of the sexual/vulgar humour in Inbetweeners also appears controversial!

@Matt N If you want a US sitcom to try then Superstore is on Netflix and is pretty funny. We also enjoyed Young Sheldon.
I'd also suggest Red Dwarf but need Britbox for that now I think (think it has gone from Netflix)
Obviously Father Ted and the IT Crowd are worth a look too.

I apologise for lowering the tone but I've finished watching the new 2-part Jimmy Savile documentary on Netflix. Extremely well put together, even if it is utterly horrific. The last half-hour or so is particularly disturbing, but well worth a watch.

And I'll stick in Green Wing. Full of sexual innuendo mind, but one of the funniest things ever on TV.

Last edited:
I apologise for lowering the tone but I've finished watching the new 2-part Jimmy Savile documentary on Netflix. Extremely well put together, even if it is utterly horrific. The last half-hour or so is particularly disturbing, but well worth a watch.
Yes, finished it last night myself. Well worth a watch for all the archive footage if nothing else. Amazing how so many people conveniently never noticed any of his wrongdoing, especially at the BBC.

Watched Cape Fear (1991) this morning. Cast including most notably Robert De Niro, Nick Nolte and Juliette Lewis. Directed by Scorsese. The basic premise is that an ex-con was not entirely happy with his legal representation in a prior court case and decides to let the lawyer know about it.
It was worth a watch. I enjoyed the storyline but I thought it could have been a bit better in places. I thought that De Niro played his character very well especially. I'd say it's worth a watch but not amazing. More than adequate for a lazy Sunday morning in bed. I'd give it a 6.7 out of ten. Currently on iPlayer if anyone's got a couple of hours to kill.

Did anyone else on here watch the final two episodes of Derry Girls this week on Channel 4?

I thought the hour-long special ended it on a very nice, poignant note (the ensemble placing their votes on the Good Friday Agreement), but still had plenty of laughs as well!

And the last “regular” episode of the season was great as well, in my opinion; it had some very funny bits, and I thought the ending was brilliantly written. It wasn’t funny at all, but I thought it was incredibly moving, and really quite sad.

I also recently started watching Ghosts, the new program on BBC One. It stars the former cast of Horrible Histories, and I’ve got to say, I am quite enjoying it! It has some good laughs, and it’s generally a very nice, gentle bit of entertainment!

I've been watching The 1% Club on ITV. Not your average quiz show as the questions test logic, so it's about working out the answers instead of knowing them outright. They are really clever, and Lee Mack makes it fun as well as serious. Highly recommended! :)

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-1-club/10a0593a0005

Love this, and I have managed to get to the £1000 take home point every time so far. The questions get a bit harder after that though.

The Accountant.

Watched this on Netflix tonight. It's a thriller with the main character being an autistic accountant who does some interesting extra work on the side. IMDB gave it a decent rating but it was actually better than I thought it would be. I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10. Worth a couple of hours of your time.