• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Watched anything good lately?

Just watched the new Ricky Gervais standup on Netflix called Super Nature. Very good overall, if not a little short at just over an hour. Some potentially very offensive jokes, so don't bother watching it if you're easily offended (or maybe do, then moan about it afterwards). 7/10.

Heartstopper

Screenshot_1.png

A Netflix show based of a graphic novel series of the same name by Alice Oseman. It’s a coming-of-age story that follows a Charlie Spring, a high school student that falls in love with a classmate, Nick Nelson. Followed by a range of different characters, tackling topic of mental health, sexual orientation, and gender identity.

Honestly this show had me going through a range of motions. It’s such a heart-warming, beautiful show. It is a queer drama, but it’s perhaps one of the best queer dramas I’ve ever watched. Unlike lots of queer film/tv, there’s no horrific trauma, graphic sex scenes and no depressing endings, it’s simply a wholesome story of love. It’s a show that could easily be watched by all ages and I think a show that is very helpful to a younger generation, the type of media people my age and beyond did not have as teenagers.

Another thing about the show is the way it has been made, the cast is made up of actors/actresses from the LGBT+ community, and the same goes for the production team, even the music choices used within the show are by LBGT+ artists. The writer of the graphic novels which the show is based off of, has also written the television adaptation. It’s a very well-rounded, well-made show.

While it’s a show that on the face of it may appear it’s exclusively for the LGBT+ community, I would say it’s a show for anyone and for people who may be unsure about the topics of same-sex relationships, or sexual orientation, or even gender identity, Heartstopper represents these in a sensitive, gentle, and realistic way.

9/10

Anybody watch BGT this year? What did you make of it?

I liked the Japanese magician on a bicycle, shame he didn't make it to the final.

Otherwise the finalists wasn't a bad selection, the best of the three won I think, but I also liked the impressionist (Ben Nickless). Didn't like the sob story behind Loren being a session singer for the Greatest Showman.

Always interesting to see the actual results https://www.itv.com/britainsgottalent/articles/britains-got-talent-2022-voting-percentages-revealed
There was two semi finals where the judges pushed the third place act through instead of the publics choice.

Last edited:
I too watched it, thought the standard in the final was high this year. Any number of the acts could have won the final, and I thought the top three was pretty fair.

It's always good light hearted entertainment!

I liked the Japanese magician on a bicycle, shame he didn't make it to the final.

Otherwise the finalists wasn't a bad selection, the best of the three won I think, but I also liked the impressionist (Ben Nickless). Didn't like the sob story behind Loren being a session singer for the Greatest Showman.

Always interesting to see the actual results https://www.itv.com/britainsgottalent/articles/britains-got-talent-2022-voting-percentages-revealed
There was two semi finals where the judges pushed the third place act through instead of the publics choice.
The Japanese Magician was good, but not too fussed as he has been on many other 'Got Talent' shows.

It was a great final indeed, and I agree with Ben Nickless, think he was underrated to be fair, deserved top 3 over Jamie Leahey maybe.
Again, I agree about Loren, think she shouldn't of been allowed to enter really as she is already a professional singer.

Thanks for sharing the actual results, very interesting!

Yeah I liked the Japanese magician too, he should've been given the wildcard spot. Can't believe that Maxwell didn't even make the top three. I put all 5 of my web votes on him. I was a little biased wanting him to win mind given that he's from Sheffield like me. :p

The Japanese Magician was good, but not too fussed as he has been on many other 'Got Talent' shows.

It was a great final indeed, and I agree with Ben Nickless, think he was underrated to be fair, deserved top 3 over Jamie Leahey maybe.
Again, I agree about Loren, think she shouldn't of been allowed to enter really as she is already a professional singer.

Thanks for sharing the actual results, very interesting!
The winner was also a professional comedian who has an Amazon prime special and has supported huge acts

I have no issue with it personally, BGT has always been a mix of people who perform their acts as their profession and those who are giving it a shot somewhat our of the blue. It's about giving people a break, and in some cases, that might be a second chance.
Yeah I suppose, but if you have already made it big time is there any need to go on a talent show? I'm not sure...

Axel Blake isn't too bad as he hasn't made it really, just a few small gigs. Now he's had his break and will probably be at BPB one year.

Indeed, I'm not sure what they were thinking with the dog act as the wildcard. Like @Skyscraper said, think the Japanese bloke should of had it. Maxwell was quite good to be fair.

The winner was also a professional comedian who has an Amazon prime special and has supported huge acts
Wasn't aware of that, but that is potentially fine, there have been plenty of other acts on BGT I have heard of (often cabaret/drag or magic such as Myra Dubois, La Voix, Jonathan Goodwin, etc).

I have no issue with it personally, BGT has always been a mix of people who perform their acts as their profession and those who are giving it a shot somewhat our of the blue. It's about giving people a break, and in some cases, that might be a second chance.

It was more the way it was presented with Loren (so likely the producers not her fault) talking about Greatest Showman rather than a second chance. If it was that she has been a session signer but not had a big break thats fine, but just something about being a specific singer made it feel "off".

Anybody watch BGT this year? What did you make of it?

No, it's a terrible program. But one of the contestants is the guitarist in my favourite local pub band who I've even going to see for years. Strange seeing clips of him on there instead of a few feet away in a sweaty pub.

Best band name ever too, Mr Spanky and Hipthrusters.

Any SciFi fans out there ?

For anyone under 50 who may not have watched this or even heard of it , I can highly recommend "Blakes 7" if you are sci fi fan.

British Sci Fi at its finest. Originally ran for 4 seasons between 1978 and 1981 (52 episodes in total). It's available to buy on box set and also on BritBox.

So for those who have never seen it, here is a reasonably short outline.......

Set in the far future in a galaxy run by a corrupt federation, Blake is a freedom fighter, captured and tried for terrorism, falsely accused and framed for being a paedophile (I know, it was the 70s). He is eventually sent to a penal colony planet. To cut a long story short, he escapes with a bunch of convicted criminals who just happen to stumble across the fastest, most powerful space ship in the galaxy. They then begin to fight back against the evil federation.

The special effects were utterly terrible, and some of the plot lines weren't much better, but what makes the show is the interaction between the main characters.

This is nothing like the nice lovey dovey characters of star trek. The Blakes 7 crew are very much in it for themselves, with regular clashes between them. The show wasn't afraid to kill off lead characters either.

There are some really poor episodes (like any show) but there are some classics too. The 4th series does feel like the writers were running out of ideas but the final episode is still one of the most controversial endings of any fictional series. I just watched it again after 40 years but I still wasn't over it from the first time!

So if you are a sci fi fan and you have never seen or heard of Blakes 7 then give it a go. Just don't expect decent special effects !!

Last edited: