• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Watched anything good lately?

There were some really poor episodes.
Yup, the tyke ain't telling fibs.
Had to check if we were in the Tavern.
Unfortunately not.
It was flipping rubbish shakey, not a scratch on Captain Scarlet.
Bring on the Mysterons.

There were some really poor episodes.
Yup, the tyke ain't telling fibs.
Had to check if we were in the Tavern.
Unfortunately not.
It was flipping rubbish shakey, not a scratch on Captain Scarlet.
Bring on the Mysterons.

I have just watched all 4 series again, and we will have to agree to disagree. If you ignore the terrible special effects then its a very good series with a very good overall story line.

Come on @rob666 you must have made a transporter bracelet from an old large celotape cardboard middle ? or was that just me ? :)

That was just you shakey, we had real toys o'er t'pennines.

Wasn't just me.....

Although this was not the original bracelet from the first 3 series which looked more like a celotape roll. This was the one used on series 4 when they had a different space ship...

:)

Any SciFi fans out there ?

For anyone under 50 who may not have watched this or even heard of it , I can highly recommend "Blakes 7" if you are sci fi fan.

British Sci Fi at its finest. Originally ran for 4 seasons between 1978 and 1981 (52 episodes in total). It's available to buy on box set and also on BritBox.

So for those who have never seen it, here is a reasonably short outline.......

Set in the far future in a galaxy run by a corrupt federation, Blake is a freedom fighter, captured and tried for terrorism, falsely accused and framed for being a paedophile (I know, it was the 70s). He is eventually sent to a penal colony planet. To cut a long story short, he escapes with a bunch of convicted criminals who just happen to stumble across the fastest, most powerful space ship in the galaxy. They then begin to fight back against the evil federation.

The special effects were utterly terrible, and some of the plot lines weren't much better, but what makes the show is the interaction between the main characters.

This is nothing like the nice lovey dovey characters of star trek. The Blakes 7 crew are very much in it for themselves, with regular clashes between them. The show wasn't afraid to kill off lead characters either.

There are some really poor episodes (like any show) but there are some classics too. The 4th series does feel like the writers were running out of ideas but the final episode is still one of the most controversial endings of any fictional series. I just watched it again after 40 years but I still wasn't over it from the first time!

So if you are a sci fi fan and you have never seen or heard of Blakes 7 then give it a go. Just don't expect decent special effects !!
Doesn't Blake 7 have a lot of classic Dr Who writers as well? I've heard it's a great sci fi show.

I've got another recommendation for anyone who loves sitcoms and sci fi, Red Dwarf, the original series. Trust me, you're in for a treat ;)

Doesn't Blake 7 have a lot of classic Dr Who writers as well? I've heard it's a great sci fi show.

I've got another recommendation for anyone who loves sitcoms and sci fi, Red Dwarf, the original series. Trust me, you're in for a treat ;)

Yep, the series was created by Terry Nation and he wrote a lot of the early episodes.

There was even a plan to have the Daleks appear in one episode of Blakes 7 as a crossover of the two shows. But I am glad they decided to keep the 2 shows totally separate.

There have been rumours of another series to finally shed light on that ending, and more rumours of a modern reboot.

I think the show's idea is quite unique and if it were redone well with modern special effects I think it could be a big success. Its a shame the BBC don't really do sci fi any more apart from Dr Who.

Come on you daft tyke.
A bunch of outlaws fighting against an evil power...sounds a bit Rocket Robin Hood to me mate, about half a millennia later.
Just been chuckling on wiki about it...Clive James...No apostrophe in the title, no sense in the plot.
A classic awful British sf series.

If you want quality rubbish, try One Wet Hot American Summer, film and series...sci fi wierdness meets american summer camp in a crass crap film/series.
Adults acting the part of teenagers, badly.

Come on you daft tyke.
A bunch of outlaws fighting against an evil power...sounds a bit Rocket Robin Hood to me mate, about half a millennia later.
Just been chuckling on wiki about it...Clive James...No apostrophe in the title, no sense in the plot.
A classic awful British sf series.

If you want quality rubbish, try One Wet Hot American Summer, film and series...sci fi wierdness meets american summer camp in a crass crap film/series.
Adults acting the part of teenagers, badly.

Well Robin Hood didn't have the galaxies fastest space ship did he !!!

blakes7.jpg

Definitely my favourite Sci Fi series

And any teenage boy at the time would have been drooling over Jenna and Soo Lin....f45e05b4613f2bbd70ef5b49e5dcad48.jpg

103e459459030e8bfcebdb46a85ce9f7.jpg
Yep, that is a very young Glynis Barber as SooLin in series 4

How many watts was the lightbulb on the front of the spaceship shakey?

Not sure but it managed to propel that ship at speeds of up to "Standard by 10" whatever that meant !!

And the lightbulb is at the back (I think) :)

Last edited:
The Office is just.....classic British comedy. I am due my annual watch of this at some point actually.

The capture - just finished series 2. Highly recommended iPlayer.

House of the dragon - good so far.
Rings of power - so so to good.