• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WDW Epcot: General Discussion

Well considering they queued even longer to meet two women who live up the road in Orlando dressed as the lasses from the film, they're probably just as bonkers to queue up for a re-themed average boat ride.

Is anyone else getting fed up of these new style Disney animatronics with rear projected faces? They look so unnatural to me. All the faces have a creepy, ghostly glow to them.

Shocking but I like how characters are used for Epcot and world showcase. I know many children/teens who would find it boring and by having this ride, they are forced to look around. I just hope world showcase will get new rides soon, that are not rethemed!

Is anyone else getting fed up of these new style Disney animatronics with rear projected faces? They look so unnatural to me. All the faces have a creepy, ghostly glow to them.

Personally I think they look great in person, maybe they just don't look as good on camera?

That aside though, this ride was always gonna have HUGE capacity issues. After going a long way to sorting one capacity headache in TSMM at Studios, they go and add another to Epcot with this. Unbelievable! At least the queue has calmed down to "just" 4 hours now.....

Biggest issue they have st Epcot is that there's only really two big draws, Soarin and Test Track (I'm not counting Mission:Space because it's never busy and also terrible). Adding a ride wth any sort of appeal would have led to capacity issues so add Frozen to that and you get five hour queues.

I agree capacity is a serious issue here, but let's face it if any of the parks had added a Frozen ride it was always going to be a problem! However a new ride system would have probably helped this, but I can fully understand them not doing this yet as ultimately that would mean the ride would probably still be a good 2 years away!

Anyway, the ride itself... I'm suitably impressed! I honestly wasn't expecting to be all tat taken with it, but honestly it looks great!! (All be it not 5 hours queue great)

The main queue itself, as much as it is cattle pen is nicely themed as is the ride itself. There are some patches around the lift hill that are a bit sketchy, though on the whole it appears to be immersive! As for the animatronics, the level Disney have reached with these audio figures now is quite incredible, such fluid movement, with the projection adding the capabilities to perform frankly jaw dropping moments of magic (Jack Sparrow, Pirates @ SDL) In this ride however it's Olaf and that Elsa animatronic that steal the show, the 'Let It Go' scene really is rather euphoric, the backwards drop away from Elsa as she casts her magic surrounded by projections, fantastic!

Now... Just to sit and wait to see what they pull out the bag at Tokyo Disney Sea ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not a massive dark ride so the opportunity was always limited, but it looks like a reasonable effort. Like the Little Mermaid dark ride in Magic Kingdom I find it a bit jarring having a completely different song in each scene. If the music had been custom composed for the ride no doubt there’d be subtler shifts rather than a completely different song. But in fairness the people queuing 5 hours to ride this are probably wanting to hear all the Frozen music so it meets its audience.

But the animatronics are as impressive as you’d expect for a Disney dark ride. It looks like they’ve done a decent job on this one.

To clarify what I meant about the animatronics, the physical movement is amazing, don't get me wrong! I'm just not keen on the Madam Leota faces.

Those animatronics... Woah! The movement is incredible!

Suitably impressed with what they've done to the old ride. It's certainly a well thought out dark ride as opposed to a cheap, quick overlay onto Maelstrom.

The faces do look a little ghostly on video but if they look like the ones on Seven Dwarfs then they'll look good in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has test track gone yet?....that was an awful ride/experience whatever it is.
Waste of time.
Test track was great before the new layover. It seem's to have lost its 'point' now.

The frozen layover looks great. The capacity issues will haunt this ride - the old version used to get hour long waits for what was fairly uninspiring. This will be abysmal!

Bob Chapek, Chairman of Parks & Resorts, confirmed at the weekend's Destination D event Epcot will be the next park to undergo a major transformation. It is thought the budget could be significantly more than the amount spent on California Adventure.

Disney & More report that "Chapek said that he asked WDI creative team to "dream big" about the upcoming transformations and that the park will become “more Disney, timeless, relevant, family-friendly” while staying faithful to Epcot original vision of an edutainment park."

Not much is really known at the moment however I am sure it involves bringing more IPs to the park. Clearly Future World needs the most work and there have been rumours of a Guardians of the Galaxy themed coaster to replace Universe of Energy.

:)

Bob Chapek, Chairman of Parks & Resorts, confirmed at the weekend's Destination D event Epcot will be the next park to undergo a major transformation. It is thought the budget could be significantly more than the amount spent on California Adventure.

Disney & More report that "Chapek said that he asked WDI creative team to "dream big" about the upcoming transformations and that the park will become “more Disney, timeless, relevant, family-friendly” while staying faithful to Epcot original vision of an edutainment park."

Not much is really known at the moment however I am sure it involves bringing more IPs to the park. Clearly Future World needs the most work and there have been rumours of a Guardians of the Galaxy themed coaster to replace Universe of Energy.

This is good news, as I found this to be one of the poorer parks at WDW

It certainly needs it. I've always been fascinated with the concept of EPCOT but if like me you only just visited for the first time these last few years the parks "future" world feels like the most dated area in the whole of Florida.

I still think an amazing replacement for Univers of Energey would be Blue Fire! The theme of discovering pure energey fits perfect with what it replaces (heck the Gazprom building looks like a scaled down version of the pavilion). Plus they have an amazing family attraction which everyone can enjoy.

WDW News Today have reported that Disney have filed permits for the replacement of Universe of Energy.

UoE-aerial-2.png

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/05/first-permits-filed-replacement-universe-energy-epcot/

I've not yet watched it but here is a POV:

That's kinda blown me away. I'm not a fan of Frozen by any means (sick of my neice making me watch it lol), but this ride is like a million, million, million times better Avatar and it's Poop River Ride or whatever its called.

I definitely agree that they look better in person than on camera mate. The first time I saw one was about 8 years ago, it was Buzz Lightyear and I was stunned by it. Even as an AV Tech it took a while for me to figure out it was rear projected. Combined with the super fluid body movements, the moving face textures made for an incredible illusion. But watch of a video of him and it just looks a bit crappy.

No doubt as technology has advanced these new ones in rides like Frozen are even better (in person I mean).

Biggest issue they have st Epcot is that there's only really two big draws, Soarin and Test Track (I'm not counting Mission:Space because it's never busy and also terrible). Adding a ride wth any sort of appeal would have led to capacity issues so add Frozen to that and you get five hour queues.

Those two rides are responible for the problem which Epcot faces. They are mainstream. I much prefered Epcot with educational and museum type rides, it was a completely unique take on an amusement park. But once they added mainstream rides like that to entertain the masses, the GP's perception of Epcot becomes "nothing to do here, all rides are boring".

So they have to add more mainstream rides, like Frozen. Shame really.