WDW Hollywood Studios: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Sam, 29th Jun 2012.

1. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Watched a POV of Runaway Railway over the weekend without realising that it utilised Disney's trackless ride system (I assume it was a tracked dark ride of sorts). Very impressed, it seem to be a fun ride with plenty of vibrant colours and a good seamless mix of screens and phystical theming.

Sure it is no Rise but it was never meant to be.

jon81uk and Jordan like this.
  2. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Agreed it looks a very nice family addition.

My only gripe with this new technology is that I hope it's not over used going forwards. Those trackless dark rides are becoming incredibly similar in their feel and how you move from scene to scene. I just wouldn't want them all to feel the same.

Still nothing wrong with a tracked dark ride for me either. It's the scenes, theming and audio that make a dark ride not the cars you sit in and how they move.

3. Jordan

Jordan TS Contributor

I like how Disney have blended the screens and non-screen elements to the point where they seem to be indistinguishable.

Also - amazing how all of that fits inside the footprint of The Great Movie Ride.

4. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

I know it’s very screen based, but it’s so much better then the likes of Ratatouille, which just feels like it could almost be a tracked ride, where it goes from one screen to the next.

It looks like a good fun family ride, and I always love on these trackless rides when they utilise the trackless and make the cars go in what seem like completely random directions.

5. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Rock 'n' Rollercoaster has a catch car? I did not know that.

Matt N likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    I assume it's the same system as Space Mountain in Paris. There's a great documentary called Shoot for the Moon that shows them testing it.

7. Funcone

Funcone TowersStreet Member

Disney have released a fun little 'behind the scenes' video which gives a bit more insight into how it works.

When I was a kid I was never encourged to take much of an interest in maths and science. Looking back, I wish I had now. I'm probably a bit late for a career in a STEM field, but for kids watching this I can imagine these kinds of video are quite inspiring.

Rick and Matt N like this.
  8. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Great video. Still odd they use the catch car. I don't think Xpress does (?)

Optimistic that them doing a Rock n' Roller Coaster video means it'll be sticking around for a little while longer in its current guise.

Funcone likes this.
  9. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

RnRC is a fairly average coaster, but it's a fun complete experience and a technical masterclass as far as capacity goes. It also definitely has the coolest trains ever.

jon81uk likes this.
  10. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

I don't think them showing a 5 minute behind the scenes science clip on YouTube has anything to do with how long the ride will be around for in its current theme...

11. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    I don't think it's a sure fire measure, but Disney communicate very carefully.

12. venny

venny TowersStreet Member

I think they could easily now drop the Aerosmith tag if they wished. The ride has a big enough cache on its own. I can’t see too many people being drawn in by the Aerosmith name.

Of course they’d have to change the video and songs, but think of the $$$ they’d save. That’ll certainly encourage them.

13. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

I think it was to give a bit of a more powerful launch on the old LSM’s. Older LSM’s with a few power hungry exceptions had a bit of a slow start to the launch. It’s only recently with new gradient tech that the more punchy LSM’s became more readily available.

Rick likes this.
  14. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes

A large gallery of images from a fly past of an empty Disney World....

Matt N, jon81uk and Austin Towers like this.
  15. TheBolt

TheBolt TowersStreet Member

Was that a necessary trip?
    Derbyshire Police will be after him.