• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WDW Hollywood Studios: General Discussion

They should get rid of the crappy water tower instead, it looks much worse. This park needs so much more.

Interesting. As much as I loved Hollywood Studios, I found the shape of the park a bit strange. Hopefully this will address that and completely change the look of the place. I didnt realise the studio tour was closed though, interesting...

To me, Hollywood Studios was the most sparse of the Disney, Universal or SeaWorld parks in Florida. Anything new to soak up queues is more than welcome. Midway Mania is fun but definitely not worth the 90 minute queues it draws. The park is crying out for a high capacity thrill, maybe a water ride?

To be honest, Hollywood Studios is going through a huge identity crisis and needs sorting badly (not to the bad extent of Epcot) but it still needs a big sort out.

The park doesn't serve its purpose any more of being working studios. It opened as Disney-MGM Studios and was a proper all-singing, all-dancing film studio/production area. Then MGM up and left causing it to change to Disney's Hollywood Studios. But, production of TV shows and editing of films etc all closed down in the early/mid 00's and the park has been left with an identity crisis since. We could argue this about WDS in Paris but that's a completely different ball game and was never built with working-studios as its purpose and it too, will be having a refit to welcome Marvel and Star Wars.

The Sorcerer's Hat leaving is one of the best bits of news! That hat was hated by many Imagineers and Disney lovers because it covered up the fantastic façade of The Great Movie Ride...but rumour is, when the Chinese Theatre's new owners (Paramount and Warner Bros.) bought the theatre in 2000, they told Disney for every photographed picture/vista with the façade included in it would mean they would have to pay for royalties...stupid huh?

Anyway, this is the apparent reason why the Sorcerer Hat was drafted in and became the unfortunate icon of DHS. Since it's implementation, huge annoyance and back lash has been aired by fans and even some Imagineers. In '09 during a DHS celebration, the Imagineer Bob Weiss commented on a photo of Chinese Theatre and said: “And this is my favourite view of the Chinese Theater. You can’t get this view any more. You may be aware of that. But I hope that we will get this view again sometime soon.” and what followed? Huge applause and cheers from the audience.

So, that's a good thing. The hat will go and I suppose the temporary icon will either be ToT or the original icon which was the Earful Tower. The Chinese Theatre will once again play host to a phenomenal centre piece down Hollywood Blv for the time being before, it too, is likely to close once Disney Weddings/Events have finished all of their bookings into 2015/16.

The problem is, DHS has issues with so many crowd flow problems, design flaws and the fact "Hollywood" isn't its direction/feel any more. Backlot Studio Tour even in it's watered down state (since the introduction of the stunt show) was still great fun but took up so much space and lost it's purpose slightly. The closure of the Backlot Tour, American Idol Experience and the American Film Institute Showcase points towards a big and exciting change for the park. Disney Hollywood Studios will be renamed and we'll get a (much cheaper) California Adventure-style refit. Cars Land will not be joining DHS in the way it is at DCA but elements will come over, along with the renaming and refurbing of park areas and also the introduction of more Pixar themes and Star Wars too. Marvel will not be joining any time soon either as Universal still holds the the rights to that over in East America (like for an age) and in Japan (until 2020) and the rights are ridiculous (and I won't bore you with them by going into detail over all that).

The thing is, I think DHS is definitely in need of help. The park is tired, cut up and confused.

Problem? Team Disney Orlando and Burbank just don't want to give WDW the love it deserves which WDI have been yearning for and why are they tightening the purse strings? Well, My MagicBands was a multi-million pound fail which has seen cuts, issues and shelved plans in multiple parks (bar Shanghai as that's a separate budget and also funded project in parks backed by Oriental Land Co) because TDO didn't address the issues but just demanded more millions. Animal Kingdom will have the bare minimum done to it in order to turn it into an "all-day destination" and Epcot will be left for ages unless WDI can push and persuade TDO/Burbank into giving it some updates.

But I have gone on a tangent, in short, whilst the expansion won't be a huge one like DCA due to many factors, we we will get will be a decent enhancement for the failing Studios Park.

Wow great post Imagination! I have no idea who you are or what your background is but I am really enjoying and appreciating your posts on the forum, you give a brilliant insight, thanks!

:)

Thanks @Alastair and @Rob .

To be honest I really I don't want it to be about me me me, what I do etc... but instead just want to spread the research I conducted (and still do) and help contribute to this community in any way I can.

I will say that despite taking a break from the theme park working world for a while, I actively keep researching, doing side projects and remain in contact with stuff and just try to help contribute (although I worry I ramble!).

I don't think anyone considers you a rambler @Imagination besides which if you took that title from me I'd be most offended. :D

Your posts are informative, make for fascinating reading, and personally I always enjoy reading the posts from you!

An update is coming to the Hollywood Studios in the form of a new sponsorship.

Inside the Magic said:
When Walt Disney World recently announced the giant Sorcerer Mickey Hat would be removed from Disney’s Hollywood Studios, fans wondered what would happen to the Great Movie Ride behind it.

Disney has announced a new partnership with Turner Classic Movies (TCM) to breathe some new life into the classic attraction.

In partnership with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, TCM will sponsor the Great Movie Ride, making some changes to the experience along with featuring the TV network’s name and logo on signage throughout the attraction.

Changes at the ride will be complete by spring 2015, updating the queue and finale videos to include TCM host Robert Osborne. The sponsorship also gives fans confidence that Disney does not plan to tear down the park’s iconic Chinese Theater replica once the big hat disappears, returning the view that the park had back when it opened decades ago.

The queue line will feature new digital movie posters and the finale will feature a new montage of classic movie moments. After guests exit the attraction, they will have a photo opportunity with a classic movie theme.

The deal with TCM extends to Walt Disney Studios, which will allow vintage programming for the network, including “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a new programming block called “Treasures From the Disney Vault” to debut on Dec. 21.

It’s not the first time Disney and Turner Classic Movies have partnered, recently hosting two TCM cruises aboard the Disney Magic and regularly taking part in the annual TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood.

More details are expected when Disney makes the announcement tomorrow.

Source

Speaking as a film student with a vested interest in the socio-historical and cultural aspects, this is great news! Although TCM is a bit naff in this country, they're a perfect and well known fit in America for the Great Movie Ride.

The Great Movie Ride is, well, great. Glad to see that it's getting some much-needed work. It's a great ride, but feels very dated compared to some of the more updated dark rides across the resort.

It's an interesting ride, but it does feel a bit tired and dated in places. It also has the issue of your ride can be left a bit unfulfilled if the CMs you get aren't on form.

The hat is coming down! Photos from Mouse Steps:

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0131_2.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

:)

The tower is almost gone. Photo credits to @PaulChadkin on Twitter:

B8SGS9lIcAAWYaz.jpg
B8SGRawIYAEJaqa.jpg
B8SGSfBIUAAwljX.jpg

I love how they've managed to take this down in just a few weeks, yet still haven't managed to take the Christmas tree by the lake down!

I love how they've managed to take this down in just a few weeks, yet still haven't managed to take the Christmas tree by the lake down!

The tree was scheduled to come down on the 18th Jan. for some reason Christmas lasts a little longer at DHS.

The hat is still slowly dissapearing, taken today, from wdwmagic.
cam00944-jpg.80455

cam00945-jpg.80456

cam00947-jpg.80457

But in other news from Hollywood studios it appears wall have been set up arround the boat near the hat

B8TzOJRCYAAjPOM.jpg

Reading some rumours the removel of the hat was mainly down to the fact it would have effected the visuals from the Star Wars Area which will hopefully start dvelopment soon on Echoe Lake. The removel of the boat which is on the side of the lake may well be the first preperations of drainage and eventual construction of Star Wars.

Great about TCM but shame that the long term future of GMR is uncertain. The hat coming down is such a great move. Well done Team Disney Orlando. Now, get your fingers out from where the sun doesn't shine and sort the identities out of DHS and Epcot please....pronto!

I've just come across the 2 hour long grand opening video for the park when it was originally called Disney-MGM. I don't think I've ever cringed this much before.