• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WDW Hollywood Studios: General Discussion

The hat has gone!

Sorcerer-Hat-Icon_Full_23348.jpg

You can see many more pictures on WDWMagic.

Well, I can see why they covered up that facade with a hat... Looks like it needs a lot of work doing to it.

:)

Oh my, I forgot how ugly that facade looks. And I recall that the thinking behind the removal of the hat was so that you could see the theatre as soon as you entered the park? Definetly a step backwards here.

Oh.

I think the façade is absolutely lovely.- an art-deco delight.

Maybe when those red support structures and the construction walls come down, it'll look better.

There are a few plans to a add a few thing which were removed, mainly the spires, here is what the area looked like before the hat.

m_gmrexterior.jpg

And just to compare here is what the actual Chinese theatre looks like inCalifornia

theater.jpg

I'm sure disney could have made more of a spectacular building, but theft went with authenticity.

Doesn't look as impressive at the moment at least...

Looks barren!

I'm sure that now the hat is down they will be working on the building. It's just by Disney's own very high standards it looks slightly run down and tacky, and certainly not iconic.

Well, I can see why they covered up that facade with a hat... Looks like it needs a lot of work doing to it.

Don't worry the original Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles looks like it needs work doing on it too so it is an accurate replica!

;-)

This might have been mentioned before but it's getting a new update and sponsorship this spring.

An update regarding the Toy Story Mania expansion from Screamscape:
Screamscape said:
2015 - Toy Story Mania Expansion - Under Construction - (3/4/15) For anyone wondering, I did get a confirmed eye report that construction on the Toy Story Midway Mania expansion track is well under way inside Soundstage 1. For all intents and purposed, the inside the building has been gutted and the first stages of construction for attraction expansion has begun.
Now for all intents and purposes, keep in mind that this “expansion” is really going to be a completely independent new ride system, as I don’t believe there is an way to connect the existing track to the new one, as the queue is in the way. There is a great drawing of the existing attraction layout posted to WDWNewsToday.
Instead, I’d expect this new track to likely be put to exclusive use for the stand-by queue line, and leave the existing double-capacity version to service the FastPass crowd. Of course that may be wishful thinking, and Disney could choose to just route the crowds to either side as needed to handle the crowds. In either case, there is no word on just when they may be finished, though I’d hope by the end of the year if we’re lucky. If anyone know more about the timeline, please do let me know.

Hopefully they get it done before I'm there in September, but knowing how long Disney take with things that's unlikely! :p

Disney have confirmed the extension to Toy Story Mania (as well as an extra theatre in Soarin' to increase throughput), both of which will be complete in late 2016.

I think Disney have absolutely lost the plot. What is the point of expanding existing rides. Of course a ride in a park with only 4 rides in total is going to get large queues, the answer is to place more rides, a mixture of high capacity and low capacity filler rides. Spending this some of money on a new track and theatre is crazy!

Seems like a sensible plan to me, and as much as TSMM is just an expansion, let's not forget Soarin' is also being completely refreshed. New rides will only serve to expand the demand for the park as a whole, and the existing low capacity rides will still struggle regardless of what else is added. TSMM will always demand huge queues, as will Soarin' - even more so after it's digital conversion and new movie.

I'm sorry I disagree, toy story mania and sourin are hardly incredible rides. They already have decent albeit not incredible throughputs. With both having a 1500 people per hour throughput.

I think the best thing to look at is Disneyland, where they have the exact same rides,also the parks they are in are busier than the parks they are in in Orlando, and yet they rarely have a queue over 20 minutes, why? Because the parks they are based in have many more than 4 rides. Due to this they can spread the queues out much better.

Another good example is Dumbo, they doubled the capacity of this ride, but this alongside the expansion of that area has resulted to queues that often exceeded an hour get reduced to less than 5 minutes, and they often only run the one side.
It just goes to show, adding people eating rides can vastly reduce queues to even classic rides.

Last edited:
Soarin' is a great ride, seems a good decision to me to add the extra theatre. When I was at DCA one of the sides was broken and there was therefore a large and ever growing queue which eventually reached an hour. Wouldn't have happened with 3 theatres though, plus it's always a popular ride that anyone can go on and enjoy.

I can just about understand the Sourin expansion, but with the TSMM ride extension which I still think is silly, is replacing a quite possible a great ride, the Monsters Inc Door Coaster, which was all planned and ready to go before the recession, so much so the layout was laid out on the floor. That ride in conjunction with TSMM would have lessened the length of the queues

I think Soarin' makese sense, especially given that it's undergoing a radical refurb over the next few years, but as for TSMM, that cash could have been spent on adding another Studios attraction to dull to popularity of itself. But WDW is an odd beast....

They seem to have just given up on making logical decisions ever since they started trotting scared of their Universal neighbours.

And one last criticism, it's taking 2 years to effectively build half a ride, it took less time to build the original TSMM. It just outstanding how slow everything is at Disney in terms of building anything

TSMM gets a very short queue at DIsney California Adventure compared to Hollywood Studios. Why? Exactly as Ketz says, there are plenty of other rides in this park including a whole kiddie area (bugs land) and of course Cars Land and plenty of other high capacity attractions such as little mermaid.

I think the Soarin expansion is needed, as it is theatre based throughout is different to a moving ride. But Hollywood Studios just needs LOTS more rides. Epcot needs a few, but that is a different park. Now the backlot tour is gone at DHS They need to rebuild the whioe park from scratch as was done with DCA.