• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WDW Magic Kingdom: General Discussion

It should help slow down those who buy limited edition stuff to re-sell on eBay. For all genuine park guests it won’t make any difference at all.
Yeah at first the new rule just covered the limited edition stuff, but has now been extended to cover everything.

We've now decided that our family trip will be in late August 2023. Really frustrating having to wait so long as originally the plan was 2021/2022. However due to covid and all the attraction pushbacks plus all the people who have cancelled their holidays and rescheduled for 2022 I think it's the right call.

Just hope all the new rides plus confirmed ride refurbs such as Splash Mountain will be open by then. Our son will be 9 years old come that trip so that's a good age I think to visit all the Florida parks.

We've now decided that our family trip will be in late August 2023. Really frustrating having to wait so long as originally the plan was 2021/2022. However due to covid and all the attraction pushbacks plus all the people who have cancelled their holidays and rescheduled for 2022 I think it's the right call.

Just hope all the new rides plus confirmed ride refurbs such as Splash Mountain will be open by then. Our son will be 9 years old come that trip so that's a good age I think to visit all the Florida parks.
We’re thinking 2023 ourselves; I’m unsure whether transatlantic flights will quite be “back to normal” in 2022 (I’d imagine you’ll still have to sort out PCR tests and wear masks on flights, for instance), so given that my parents aren’t keen to go transatlantic again until all the “faff” is gone, I don’t think banking on 2022 would be the wisest idea at present. And even if flights are normal again in 2022, the crowds will likely be huge, as you say. We’re not going to Disney ourselves, though; we’re thinking Universal, SeaWorld and Busch like we did in 2016! We might possibly spend 1 day at Hollywood Studios to see Galaxy’s Edge, as my dad is a big Star Wars fan, but we’re certainly not getting the 14-day Disney tickets or visiting any of the other parks on our next trip.

I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time @Benjsh; late August is my favourite time to go, from my experience! The crowds are usually relatively low, as schools are often already back in Florida, and as long as you don’t mind the odd storm, the weather is usually gorgeous!

One thing I will say to you, though, is that if your son is 9, I wouldn’t bank on being able to do some of the largest coasters. Admittedly, you may be able to if your son is particularly tall for his age (I obviously don’t know), but if it’s anything to go by, I was 9 when we first went to Orlando, and the likes of Hulk and Dragon Challenge were still off limits for me, with me not hitting the 54”/1.4m threshold until I was 10. Admittedly, I’ve never been especially tall for my age (your son might be a tall child, for all I know), but I just thought it might be something worth me pointing out to you to avoid disappointment. I certainly wouldn’t go to SeaWorld or Busch Gardens in pursuit of riding rides if someone in your party is under 54”, as the ride lineups in those parks are quite thrill-centric (or at least were in 2016), so naturally most of the rides have 54” height requirements.

Last edited:
We’re thinking 2023 ourselves; I’m unsure whether transatlantic flights will quite be “back to normal” in 2022 (I’d imagine you’ll still have to sort out PCR tests and wear masks on flights, for instance), so given that my parents aren’t keen to go transatlantic again until all the “faff” is gone, I don’t think banking on 2022 would be the wisest idea at present. And even if flights are normal again in 2022, the crowds will likely be huge, as you say. We’re not going to Disney ourselves, though; we’re thinking Universal, SeaWorld and Busch like we did in 2016! We might possibly spend 1 day at Hollywood Studios to see Galaxy’s Edge, as my dad is a big Star Wars fan, but we’re certainly not getting the 14-day Disney tickets or visiting any of the other parks on our next trip.

I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time @Benjsh; late August is my favourite time to go, from my experience! The crowds are usually relatively low, as schools are often already back in Florida, and as long as you don’t mind the odd storm, the weather is usually gorgeous!

One thing I will say to you, though, is that if your son is 9, I wouldn’t bank on being able to do some of the largest coasters. Admittedly, you may be able to if your son is particularly tall for his age (I obviously don’t know), but if it’s anything to go by, I was 9 when we first went to Orlando, and the likes of Hulk and Dragon Challenge were still off limits for me, with me not hitting the 54”/1.4m threshold until I was 10. Admittedly, I’ve never been especially tall for my age (your son might be a tall child, for all I know), but I just thought it might be something worth me pointing out to you to avoid disappointment. I certainly wouldn’t go to SeaWorld or Busch Gardens in pursuit of riding rides if someone in your party is under 54”, as the ride lineups in those parks are quite thrill-centric (or at least were in 2016), so naturally most of the rides have 54” height requirements.

Thanks for the reply Matt. I'm sure things will be relatively fine by late 2022 so 2023 should be good to go for us both fingers crossed. I hope you guy get to go over again.

We will be doing the lot I would think. Big Disney fans but also love the Universal parks too. We'd probably opt for the Mega Florida pass that gets you in everywhere. Aren't you interested in the Tron coaster at MK or Guardians at Epcot though? Two of my most anticipated rides when we eventually go.

And to answer your question on his height he's only 7 and he's already 133cm tall but I am 6ft 5 so it shouldn't come as too much of a shock. He's already big enough to go on Icon and the Big One. So in two years time he's going to be over the 'magic' 140cm mark quite comfortably I'd say, probably hit that late next year the way he is growing. Hahahaha

Florida truly is the best holiday destination in the world. Just a shame how bleeding expensive it is to go otherwise we'd go every year I reckon.

We will be doing the lot I would think. Big Disney fans but also love the Universal parks too. We'd probably opt for the Mega Florida pass that gets you in everywhere. Aren't you interested in the Tron coaster at MK or Guardians at Epcot though? Two of my most anticipated rides when we eventually go.

I am also really looking forward to getting back to Florida with so many new coasters. Although it is unclear at what point in 2022 Tron will open, but if you are planning 2023 then it should be open, although Universals new park is now delayed.

I last did Florida in 2016 and therefore the list of new attractions in the 6/7 years will be quite long!

Sar Wars Rise of Resistance
Star Wars Milenium Falcon
Mickey's Runaway Railway
Toy Story Slinky coaster
New Magic Kingdom Fireworks
New Epcot fireworks (Harmonious)
Ratatouille
Guaridans coaster
Tron coaster

Iron Gwazi at Busch
New Artic coaster at Seaworld

Hagrids coaster
Velocicoaster
Jimmy Fallon Race Through New York
Fast & Furious (if it actually re-opens)

Plenty to look forward to across the Florida parks and seven new coasters between them!

As a Florida resident if you’re going on holiday I’d always recommend a cheap flight to New York JFK on JetBlue or the soon to launch Norse and then get a cheap connection down to Florida. Flights direct from the UK to Florida are often extortionate and I don’t know why people pay it.

It is currently dismal, stormy and consistently rainy here though so nobody is missing out at the minute haha.

As a Florida resident if you’re going on holiday I’d always recommend a cheap flight to New York JFK on JetBlue or the soon to launch Norse and then get a cheap connection down to Florida. Flights direct from the UK to Florida are often extortionate and I don’t know why people pay it.

Really? I've seen economy flights with Virgin to Orlando for around £500-800 before, so not significantly more than their rates to New York. The cost saving might not be that worthwhile if you then spend an extra four hours changing at the airport.

Edit to add, currently Jan/Feb flights start from £375 and November from £475 London to Orlando with Virgin so don't think it would be a huge saving splitting the journey!

I am also really looking forward to getting back to Florida with so many new coasters. Although it is unclear at what point in 2022 Tron will open, but if you are planning 2023 then it should be open, although Universals new park is now delayed.

I last did Florida in 2016 and therefore the list of new attractions in the 6/7 years will be quite long!

Sar Wars Rise of Resistance
Star Wars Milenium Falcon
Mickey's Runaway Railway
Toy Story Slinky coaster
New Magic Kingdom Fireworks
New Epcot fireworks (Harmonious)
Ratatouille
Guaridans coaster
Tron coaster

Iron Gwazi at Busch
New Artic coaster at Seaworld

Hagrids coaster
Velocicoaster
Jimmy Fallon Race Through New York
Fast & Furious (if it actually re-opens)

Plenty to look forward to across the Florida parks and seven new coasters between them!

Even longer for me sadly. 2013 was my last trip so I have even more new stuff to try out like Mako etc.

It will certainly be nice to visit after 10 years away because a lot of it will feel totally new.

Even longer for me sadly. 2013 was my last trip so I have even more new stuff to try out like Mako etc.

It will certainly be nice to visit after 10 years away because a lot of it will feel totally new.

That means Diagon Alley and Gringotts will also be new to you!

That means Diagon Alley and Gringotts will also be new to you!

Yeah last time we visited it was being built I believe not that you could see too much in the way on construction. Be good to go see it in the flesh for sure.

Although I must confess that I am still not happy they removed the JAWS ride. That ride is probably in my top 3 attractions I have ever done. I simply adored it.

Thanks for the reply Matt. I'm sure things will be relatively fine by late 2022 so 2023 should be good to go for us both fingers crossed. I hope you guy get to go over again.

And to answer your question on his height he's only 7 and he's already 133cm tall but I am 6ft 5 so it shouldn't come as too much of a shock. He's already big enough to go on Icon and the Big One. So in two years time he's going to be over the 'magic' 140cm mark quite comfortably I'd say, probably hit that late next year the way he is growing. Hahahaha

Florida truly is the best holiday destination in the world. Just a shame how bleeding expensive it is to go otherwise we'd go every year I reckon.
We can only hope! I’m gagging to get back to Orlando, even though I’ve been numerous times; Universal Orlando in particular houses two of my all-time favourite theme parks, and I’m saddened that I haven’t been able to visit them for 5 years! (I was 13 when we last visited Universal in 2016; a lot has changed at Universal since then!) SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are also places I’m keen to get back to after 5 years (7 by 2023!), not least because I want to get back on my #1 coaster, Mako! Let’s hope we all get to go!

In terms of the aforementioned Disney rides; let me tell you, I certainly am interested by them, and I would love to go back and ride them at some stage! However, I’m more of a Universal person myself (don’t get me wrong, we had fun at Disney, but we all enjoyed Universal far more), and I know my family thought the same, so when picking what parks to go to on our next trip, Universal and the SeaWorld parks ultimately won out for us. In an ideal world, I’d be able to visit all of them in one trip, but buying all of the tickets is simply so expensive with the route we take, and with us usually spending 10 days, there isn’t really time either; my mum says that the Disney tickets in 2019 cost more than the Universal & SeaWorld tickets combined did in 2016. I’ll admit that we perhaps don’t take the cheapest route to begin with (my parents like to book package holidays through Virgin that give us our own exclusive villa and our own car as well as the park tickets for all 4 of us), but given the route we take, I don’t think buying all the park tickets is especially feasible. If I travelled on my own, I would possibly take a more economical route in terms of flights & accommodation and look into that ticket you said about, but my mum & dad like to splash out more in terms of flights & accommodation, which does inevitably leave less money for park tickets (which for the 4 of us, can get quite expensive!) and days spent out there. I think it depends what you want to spend your money on when it comes to a holiday like Florida! In terms of that all-inclusive ticket you’re on about; are you referring to the Orlando Freedom Ticket? If you are, I’d recommend the one that chucks in Legoland Florida as well; I’ve never been to LLF myself, but I can only imagine it would be great if your son is into Lego!

I personally think you’ve made a great call taking your son to Disney World while he’s still reasonably young, though; Magic Kingdom in particular is tailored brilliantly towards younger kids! We didn’t go to Magic Kingdom for the first time until I was 15 coming 16 and my sister was 17 coming 18, so we kind of missed out on a lot of the “childhood magic” that a younger child visiting MK for the first time might experience. My parents kept saying as we were walking round how great MK would have been if we’d visited when we were younger kids, so at 9, I think he’ll be in the prime Disney demographic, and will have an absolute whale of a time!

Wow, your son will certainly have no issue whatsoever by 9 if he’s 133cm now at 7! He’s far taller than I was at that age; as I said, I’ve never been particularly tall for my age, whether that’s as a child or even now as a fully-grown 18-year-old (and that’s in spite of my dad being even taller than yourself at 6’6”!), so at 7, I was a good 10cm shorter than your son, if not a bit more. I reckon he could possibly be on the 1.4m rides by the start of the 2022 season, especially if you put him in a particularly beefy pair of trainers for your next UK park visit! After that, his journey into theme park enthusiasm can well and truly begin, if he wishes to take after his dad!

Sorry to bring that up; I only mentioned it because I forget that some people are tall, and hit 1.4m at way earlier than 10, so I just wanted to avoid you being disappointed after spending so much money on park tickets in case your son was like me, and not especially tall for his age! Your son will probably be like my cousin (always been rather tall for her age), who hit the magic 1.4m threshold at 8 and now comes up to my chin at just under age 9… her younger brother has just passed 1.2m as well, despite having only just turned 5; I didn’t hit 1.2m until 6.5-7 myself! Funnily enough, my older cousin is actually going on her first Alton Towers trip at the end of the month to celebrate her 9th birthday, and very excitedly asked me if she could look at all of my ride merch and ride photos last time I saw her… she hung on my every word when I told her about the different rides there! A possible enthusiast in the making, perhaps?

I’ll certainly attest to that last comment, having been numerous times with no desire to stop going any time soon! With regard to the prices; I know they can be a tough pill to swallow, but I think they need to charge that much to fund all the amazing stuff they’re building! Heck, even since my last visit in 2019, the amount of new things I haven’t ridden in Florida is already pretty high and seemingly growing exponentially, even at the Disney parks that I went to only fairly recently!

Last edited:
I also hope to go back to Disney World in August 2023 as it be the 30th anniversary of my 1st visit. I been saving £30 a week since my last visit in 2016. My daughter will be 11 and my son 4. She’s currently 1.34m tall so is tall enough for every attraction and my son is 860mm tall so he is currently taller than my daughter was at his age so hopefully he get the 40 inch mark so we can enjoy 90% of the attractions all together. I’m waiting to April next year to see if the free dinning plan makes a return to decide if I’m staying on site or in a hotel near Disney World with breakfast and free transfers.

I also hope to go back to Disney World in August 2023 as it be the 30th anniversary of my 1st visit. I been saving £30 a week since my last visit in 2016. My daughter will be 11 and my son 4. She’s currently 1.34m tall so is tall enough for every attraction and my son is 860mm tall so he is currently taller than my daughter was at his age so hopefully he get the 40 inch mark so we can enjoy 90% of the attractions all together. I’m waiting to April next year to see if the free dinning plan makes a return to decide if I’m staying on site or in a hotel near Disney World with breakfast and free transfers.

I have been three times in my life, once with family and twice as an adult, and we've always stayed off site on International Drive. The hotels are basic but tick all boxes and we've always been able to get the free bus to the resorts from right outside our hotels. Not sure if this is still the case as 2013 was the last time we went but I imagine it probably still is.

Like you I'd be tempted to stay at Disney for 6 to 7 nights of our stay if they have free dining offer. Without it I think we'd stay off site again too as it's simply not worth it otherwise.

I been 5 times (1 with parents/sister and 3 with my wife and 1 with my wife/daughter)

1993 visit
1&half days Magic Kingdom
1&half days MGM studios now Hollywood studios
1 day Epcot
1 day Universal Studios
1 day KSC
then spent 7 days seeing the rest of Florida

We went to all 4 Disney parks plus Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Quest
Both Universal Parks
Sea World
Busch Gardens

2008 we did the same parks but went to Blizzard beach instead

2011 Did all the Disney parks, Both water parks and Disney quest
Both Universal parks
We skipped Sea World and Busch Gardens as when we went Busch Gardens in 08 we couldn’t ride many attractions as there was a thunderstorm and they had to wait to it was over 5 miles away from the area also Sea World after you seen the shows twice I didn’t want to see them again.

Just did Disney all 6 parks and Disney Quest only as my daughter was just under the 40 inch mark so Universal would have been a wasted journey just for me and my wife to enjoy the rides on our own.

I find the Quick Service dinning plan works best for us as we could go wherever we wanted for lunch and dinner. Round world showcase is the best as you got so many choices of food to have where at magic Kingdom it was salad or food with fries.

I find the Quick Service dinning plan works best for us as we could go wherever we wanted for lunch and dinner. Round world showcase is the best as you got so many choices of food to have where at magic Kingdom it was salad or food with fries.

Hollywood Studios was also one that had quite a lot of food just served with fries, or pizzas. I found the Magic Kingdom somewhere inbetween that there was some different options, but often went for a burger at Cosmic Rays anyway just for the toppings bar! Animal Kingdom has some great options like Flame Tree BBQ though.

Definitely do the maths on the dining plans (if they return) though, its not really worth paying for the quick service plan as you do have to order the more expensive items to cover the costs. Obviously if the plan is free that is less of a concern though!
I've preferred the regular plan as its nice to take time out for a full meal and makes it feel more of a holiday rather than just theme park trips. But our first few trips prior to using the plan were almost all quick service as it was all we could only afford one waited service meal per trip really!

I been 5 times (1 with parents/sister and 3 with my wife and 1 with my wife/daughter)

1993 visit
1&half days Magic Kingdom
1&half days MGM studios now Hollywood studios
1 day Epcot
1 day Universal Studios
1 day KSC
then spent 7 days seeing the rest of Florida

We went to all 4 Disney parks plus Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Quest
Both Universal Parks
Sea World
Busch Gardens

2008 we did the same parks but went to Blizzard beach instead

2011 Did all the Disney parks, Both water parks and Disney quest
Both Universal parks
We skipped Sea World and Busch Gardens as when we went Busch Gardens in 08 we couldn’t ride many attractions as there was a thunderstorm and they had to wait to it was over 5 miles away from the area also Sea World after you seen the shows twice I didn’t want to see them again.

Just did Disney all 6 parks and Disney Quest only as my daughter was just under the 40 inch mark so Universal would have been a wasted journey just for me and my wife to enjoy the rides on our own.

Epcot is the Jewel in the crown of WDW for me. On our first visit in 96 I was 11 and my brother was 9 and I have to be honest we were both pretty bored there. It just felt like hard work and we wanted more thrilling rides. However after growing up a bit between that time and my other two visits I now love the place.

It's good to see they retain some of the charm of what makes Epcot so great whilst at the same time brining in some more appealing attractions to boost the crowd numbers too. I think the Guardians Attraction has the potential to be one of the stand out rides in the entire resort.

Can't wait to go back.

Hollywood Studios my least favourite for food. I even moaned that in 2008 we ate at the Hollywood and Vine restaurant and it was a self service buffet restaurant but had to pay 20% tip to a waiter/waitress for bringing us drinks. I even got food poisoning at the burger counter in the market section was so rough the next day. Even the salads tasted funny. The rest of the holiday when we went to the studios we would get the boat or walk to the boardwalk area and eat there then go to Epcot in the evening for dinner. International gateway so good and I guess having the sky
ride now makes it more quicker and gives another transport option.

I am coming up to two years veggie so hoping they improve their non meat offering.

Reactions: D4n
I am coming up to two years veggie so hoping they improve their non meat offering.

I think there are now a lot of places using vegan burger such as Impossible or fake meat like Ch'ken. I'm a meat eater and not sure if there actually is a lot more options overall, but the new "plant-based" meat things have apparently opened up more options that aren't just salads.

Last edited: