• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Welcome To Your New Forum!

6NNFxmC.png

I am definitely not subscribed to this board, and I haven't posted in this thread.

I am definitely not subscribed to this board, and I haven't posted in this thread.

Ahh, worked out the confusion now! The new posts section alerts you to *all* new posts on the forum. It's not an alert as it doesn't give you a popup red box when a new post appears. It's just a feature of the forum that one, it's not one that you can disable.

Ah right OK. That explains why I didn't get a red alert when that post was made, but I did when your post was made lol!

OK. This is feedback not criticism, it's obvious the work that's gone into this and it's really fantastic.

For me though, I am finding something is not right, is it the white, the fact most things are very light pastel colours, I don't know, but it really strains my eyes. It's far more tiring to look at that the other one, which I could happily read away for hours.

Is anyone else finding this, or is it just me? I can't think of another website I visit that does this.

Please guys, don't see this is a criticism, it really isn't these are my, excuse the pun, observations.

Ah right OK. That explains why I didn't get a red alert when that post was made, but I did when your post was made lol!

Check your alert options as below :)

Alerts options:
Remember by default you will receive a notification for any topic you have posted in as well as those you have created. To change this, select your name at the top then select Preferences, select this link. Untick the box "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...".

You may also be subscribed to individual topics or forums. To manage these, check your watched threads and your watched forums

OK. This is feedback not criticism, it's obvious the work that's gone into this and it's really fantastic.

For me though, I am finding something is not right, is it the white, the fact most things are very light pastel colours, I don't know, but it really strains my eyes. It's far more tiring to look at that the other one, which I could happily read away for hours.

Is anyone else finding this, or is it just me? I can't think of another website I visit that does this.

Please guys, don't see this is a criticism, it really isn't these are my, excuse the pun, observations.

We'd rather have people being honest with what they're not keen on, it's fine :). The forum is brighter than the previous incarnation, but we have turned down the white colours a tad from what we originally had. For me, it did seem a little bright at first but got used to it after a few days of using it. From my own admission, I have my brightness set way too high on my laptop so I've inched that down a tad and it's perfect for me. I would say give it a few days, and see how it looks then :).

Hey,

So, when I used to go into boards on the previous forum, I'd select the threads that interested me, and then close the board, read the threads in separate tabs etc.

On the new forum, when I do this the board remains as 'unread'. Do I now have to manually click 'read all'? Seems quite laborious but probs just me.

Check your alert options as below :)
We'd rather have people being honest with what they're not keen on, it's fine :). The forum is brighter than the previous incarnation, but we have turned down the white colours a tad from what we originally had. For me, it did seem a little bright at first but got used to it after a few days of using it. From my own admission, I have my brightness set way too high on my laptop so I've inched that down a tad and it's perfect for me. I would say give it a few days, and see how it looks then :).

OK :) I use F.Lux at night so many this will just stop me using it in the day when I should be doing other things anyway hahaha!!

Would it be possible to go to the first unread post when you click on the time under a poster's name, "today at 12:00PM" in the screenshot posted, instead of the last post in the thread?

iZq16oy.png

:)

Would it be possible to go to the first unread post when you click on the time under a poster's name, "today at 12:00PM" in the screenshot posted, instead of the last post in the thread?

iZq16oy.png

:)

Clicking the topic title will take you to the first unread post in the topic, clicking the date in the last message column will take you to the last message :).

Ah, I see! I'm so used to clicking the last post time to get to the first unread!

Hey,

So, when I used to go into boards on the previous forum, I'd select the threads that interested me, and then close the board, read the threads in separate tabs etc.

On the new forum, when I do this the board remains as 'unread'. Do I now have to manually click 'read all'? Seems quite laborious but probs just me.

I've tried to replicate this one by opening topics in new tabs etc, but they all seem to mark as read afterwards as they should? When you're reading the topics, are you definitely going to the last page in the topic? If you don't read through/go to the last page in the topic the topic stays marked as unread so perhaps that's the issue you're getting?

I've tried to replicate this one by opening topics in new tabs etc, but they all seem to mark as read afterwards as they should? When you're reading the topics, are you definitely going to the last page in the topic? If you don't read through/go to the last page in the topic the topic stays marked as unread so perhaps that's the issue you're getting?
It's the board that doesn't mark as read. As in on the homepage. The board doesn't mark as read once you've viewed it.

I think what he means is that there are other threads in the specified board which are still unread (and which he doesn't want to read). On SMF, if you read a thread on a board, the board would return to "no unread posts." Now, you have to read all of the unread threads to make it do that. I noticed this too and it is slightly irritating.

Ah ok makes sense now. I guess some will prefer it this way, others won't (personally I prefer the current option).

You probably know already, but for the benefit of others too, you can press mark forums read at the top left of the screen. If you're in a specific board, it'll give you the option of either marking the whole forum or that specific board as read.

Couple of things..

On the old forum I liked how each post was 'individual', as they all had a rounded box (can't find a screenshot for now, but I hope you get what I mean). Now that posts are separated by lines it sort of looks a bit cramped. My preferences, anyway. :D

Also, is there a way to disable the 'similar threads' box at the bottom? I like to go back to the forum homepage using
VzMm4aH.png
after reading a thread, but there's a big box that I don't use which makes me scroll a little bit more. :(

And finally, any chance of forum stats returning? It's fun to see how long @Jonathan has spent online in comparison to the rest of us. ;)

Well done guys great work :) One thing I have noticed is the menu bar now doesn't stay at the top when you scroll down, that's always a handy feature!

Couple of things..

On the old forum I liked how each post was 'individual', as they all had a rounded box (can't find a screenshot for now, but I hope you get what I mean). Now that posts are separated by lines it sort of looks a bit cramped. My preferences, anyway. :D

Also, is there a way to disable the 'similar threads' box at the bottom? I like to go back to the forum homepage using
VzMm4aH.png
after reading a thread, but there's a big box that I don't use which makes me scroll a little bit more. :(

And finally, any chance of forum stats returning? It's fun to see how long @Jonathan has spent online in comparison to the rest of us. ;)

I get what you mean about the rounded box. We've tried to move away from using rounded boxes on the new forum, and instead gone for "striping" the messages. So instead of boxes, you'll see alternate colours for each message in the topic.

With similar threads, the idea for this was to prevent new topics from being created which we have in existing discussion. I kind of agree that it's a bit daft having it at the bottom of existing topics, so lets try it without and see what people think. If anyone wants to see it back, give me a shout :).

Forum statistics, we don't really have anything to have them publicly viewable with XenForo as far as I'm aware, certainly not to the extent of SMF! Will discuss with the team and see if there's anything we can do.

Well done guys great work :) One thing I have noticed is the menu bar now doesn't stay at the top when you scroll down, that's always a handy feature!

The rest of the site (which includes the header bar) is pending a redesign at the moment, so the design at present won't stay as is :).

I'm loving the new forum so far, but there's one thing which annoys me; when I mark the forums as read, I'm not a fan of the pop-up window that comes up forcing you to confirm it. On the old forum, this didn't have to be done. I know it's a very small problem, but I just think it's a waste of time and is not really essential. Maybe there could be an option to turn it off.