• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What a waste of council tax

ChocolateStarfish said:
Blaze said:
smudge said:
Maybe council tax should be abolished and any amenities you want/need are paid for privately?
Because that worked sooo well with the trains...

It has worked with the trains can you not remember the dark days of good old BR.

Our train service used to be the joke of the world during the 70's and 80's, and whilst its still a joke compared to France etc its light years ahead of then.
Once HS2 is up and running to the north hopefully we will be able to catch a train from Manchester or Sheffield to Paris or the rest of Europe.
Have you even been on a TGV? They're much better than the service we get here in the UK, in case you didn't know.

Jonathan said:
ChocolateStarfish said:
Blaze said:
smudge said:
Maybe council tax should be abolished and any amenities you want/need are paid for privately?

It has worked with the trains can you not remember the dark days of good old BR.

Our train service used to be the joke of the world during the 70's and 80's, and whilst its still a joke compared to France etc its light years ahead of then.
Once HS2 is up and running to the north hopefully we will be able to catch a train from Manchester or Sheffield to Paris or the rest of Europe.
Have you even been on a TGV? They're much better than the service we get here in the UK, in case you didn't know.

I have yes that's why I said our service is still a joke compared to France etc. ;)

smudge said:
There are plenty of private 'bin collectors' these days.

For a 1100 litre bin (the big ones you see at the back of pubs etc) could be collected every month for £25 a shot, or fortnightly for £23 a go.

Or for the normal wheelie bins; £43 a month for weekly collections, £21 a month for fortnightly collections (that most of us get now) and £12 a month for only one collection a month.

This would obviously go down should more households take this option.

That is much better value for money than c/tax don't you think?

Maybe council tax should be abolished and any amenities you want/need are paid for privately? (Not just bin collections.)

Criminals could be billed for whatever damage / work they need / cause? And neighbourhoods could pay for however much / little lighting & policing they need / want too.

Maybe slightly too optimistic that it could work...

Well at the current price that's half my council tax a month so I can't see a benefit myself

Towseriv said:
smudge said:

For a 1100 litre bin (the big ones you see at the back of pubs etc) could be collected every month for £25 a shot, or fortnightly for £23 a go.

Or for the normal wheelie bins; £43 a month for weekly collections, £21 a month for fortnightly collections (that most of us get now) and £12 a month for only one collection a month.

Maybe council tax should be abolished and any amenities you want/need are paid for privately? (Not just bin collections.)

Criminals could be billed for whatever damage / work they need / cause? And neighbourhoods could pay for however much / little lighting & policing they need / want too.

Well at the current price that's half my council tax a month so I can't see a benefit myself

Your council tax is £42 a month? ( 2x 21)

Fair enough, although the average council tax bill is £120pcm (source - quick google search) though, so you must be the minority.

I don't agree that the bracket should be determined by house size either, yes, how many people live in it maybe, but by privatizing the more people creating waste the more you would pay, naturally.

smudge said:
Towseriv said:
smudge said:

Fair enough, although the average council tax bill is £120pcm (source - quick google search) though, so you must be the minority.

I don't agree that the bracket should be determined by house size either, yes, how many people live in it maybe, but by privatizing the more people creating waste the more you would pay, naturally.

No my council tax is £105 but I get weekly collection plus garden waste collection

Blaze said:
smudge said:

Since the state bought back the East Coast Mainline from GNER and Northernfail it has made the country £800m in profits, the service is reliable, the trains are pretty decent and the prices aren't too expensive! If they give us a vote on if we want to sell it and make it privately owned I will be voting no I don't want it to be sold.

Towseriv said:
smudge said:
Towseriv said:
smudge said:

No my council tax is £105 but I get weekly collection plus garden waste collection

That is good - I pay nearly double that and get one fortnightly collection :( and one fortnightly recyclable collection. (garden, cans & bottles etc)

I guess it wouldn't be beneficial for some people then.... Thanks for the info, perhaps its even changed my opinion :)

You can guarantee the minute we sold bin collections off and paid private companies directly, their prices would shoot up and we'd be forced to pay.

Natalie said:
Blaze said:
smudge said:

Since the state bought back the East Coast Mainline from GNER and Northernfail it has made the country £800m in profits, the service is reliable, the trains are pretty decent and the prices aren't too expensive! If they give us a vote on if we want to sell it and make it privately owned I will be voting no I don't want it to be sold.

Northern Rail are THE worst rail operator out there. How they've had their contract extended till 2016 is beyond me. You'd find newer trains running in an Amish village.

My point was that the east Coast Mainline should remain in the hands of the state and not be sold off to a private firm.

Small government is better not big government, I know how to spend my own money thanks I'm a big boy!

If I had my way tax would be a thing of the past and you would keep what you earn, then you would decide what to spend it on.
So lets take police and fire service you can pay for it and get the service or not and get sod all.
If you don't earn anything then errr tough.

I'm sick of paying for wasters.

ChocolateStarfish said:
Small government is better not big government, I know how to spend my own money thanks I'm a big boy!

If I had my way tax would be a thing of the past and you would keep what you earn, then you would decide what to spend it on.
So lets take police and fire service you can pay for it and get the service or not and get sod all.
If you don't earn anything then errr tough titty.

I'm sick of paying for wasters.

So in your vision of this "perfect world" how would the police, fire and ambulance function?

You'd ring them up during your mugging, and if you happen to have enough money in your bank account, they'll send help. Unless your mugger has more money than you, in which case they'll take his side and say you're to blame.

If your house is on fire, you'll have to sit there burning while they assess whether it's financially worthwhile saving your family.

If you have a heart attack, and you've left your wallet at home, don't be prepared to wake up.

Blaze said:
You'd ring them up during your mugging, and if you happen to have enough money in your bank account, they'll send help. Unless your mugger has more money than you, in which case they'll take his side and say you're to blame.

If your house is on fire, you'll have to sit there burning while they assess whether it's financially worthwhile saving your family.

If you have a heart attack, and you've left your wallet at home, don't be prepared to wake up.

Cheers that makes much more sense now.

It's always the "skools n ospitals" argument isn't it.

There wouldn't be any muggings anyway as there would be alot more police and that's the whole point, if people decide where to spend thier money they spend it more efficiently than stupid governments.