• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What a waste of council tax

Blaze said:
Yeah, down with tax! What do we even need streetlighting and smooth roads for anyway?
As your bring street lights into it my whole road has been without them for about a month and the roads around cheadle are getting really bad

"Local council aren't spending tax effectively"

"We should pay less tax"

I don't see the logic.

And hell, while I'm at it, when I'm too old for work, I'll just live off 2P coins I find on the floor, who needs a pension?

josht said:
Blaze said:
Yeah, down with tax! What do we even need streetlighting and smooth roads for anyway?
As your bring street lights into it my whole road has been without them for about a month and the roads around cheadle are getting really bad

That's funny I live just a few clicks from Cheadle and they've just resurfaced the entire road. Not to mention the road from Draycott to Tean, the road from Cheadle (entering from Tean) through past the schools, the whole of 'inner city' Tean as well as several other minor roads!

They are working their way around, they can't do everything at once and as soon as they start you can start moaning that you're late for work again. :)

First off I'll declare my interests in that I am a multiple hat owner.

Video 1 - as has been pointed out, policing for events such as this is are paid for by the organisers. It's a shame they have to be so heavily policed but when you get a few thousand people together that think it is socially acceptable to all shout swear words with children around I guess they'll need a little looking after.

Video 2 - while not much is going on around him that officer is being a very visible presence and engaging with the community in a way that is likely to make him known and approachable. Half the time police are criticised for being distant, unapproachable and acting like a force rather than a service, as soon as they do something to engage they are criticised for wasting time and not being tough enough.

Wouldn't it be nice if the people worked with the police instead of fighting against the people there to help them? Would be much easier, and cheaper, to keep everyone safe then. Maybe you'd be able to pay a bit less tax.

Sorry about this topic, I put it in tavern to try and make a joke out off it but its back fired

Tax is not a joking mater I'm afraid. ;)

I agree with everything Pluk is saying there and don't begrudge the police one penny but there are areas where things can be cut and improved.
Road tax covers roads not council tax, it may be the council who pays the bill but the money still comes from central government.
Street lighting should be solar in this day and age and as for the joke of a bin collection don't get me started.
If you take off police and fire service there is very little left that is value for money in my opinion.

pluk said:
Video 1 - as has been pointed out, policing for events such as this is are paid for by the organisers. It's a shame they have to be so heavily policed but when you get a few thousand people together that think it is socially acceptable to all shout 'naught words' with children around I guess they'll need a little looking after.

That's at an FC United game, one of the most family friendly community centred clubs in the country. What they're actually chanting is "two-hats" - lighthearted banter and the police know it. There's absolutely no malice there whatsoever, I assure you. :)

ChocolateStarfish said:
Tax is not a joking mater I'm afraid. ;)

I agree with everything Pluk is saying there and don't begrudge the police one penny but there are areas where things can be cut and improved.
Road tax covers roads not council tax, it may be the council who pays the bill but the money still comes from central government.
Street lighting should be solar in this day and age and as for the joke of a bin collection don't get me started.
If you take off police and fire service there is very little left that is value for money in my opinion.

I think you will find car tax hasn't covered the cost if the roads for quite a few years. As for the bins what would you do without them collecting?

Re: Re: What a waste of council tax

ChocolateStarfish said:
Street lighting should be solar in this day and age.

And who's going to pay for the installation of these solar street lighting.

Yeah, without an angy police officer every five feet, there'd be chaos wherever there was a football match. People would be killed. Oh no wait, it was the police and their prejudice against football fans that caused that to happen...

And it would be nice if people could wok with the police, but when they go around pushing innocent men like, say, Ian Tomlinson to the ground, then getting away with it when the man dies minutes later, or when they shoot people on tube trains, it's hard to have much respect for them.

Blaze said:
Yeah, without an angy police officer every five feet, there'd be chaos wherever there was a football match. People would be killed. Oh no wait, it was the police and their prejudice against football fans that caused that to happen...

And it would be nice if people could wok with the police, but when they go around pushing innocent men like, say, Ian Tomlinson to the ground, then getting away with it when the man dies minutes later, or when they shoot people on tube trains, it's hard to have much respect for them.

Surely this message is a more serious one than that if this thread and deserves a thread of its own if it was to be debated?

Back on Council Tax though what would happen if bins were not collected, streets not cleaned etc? We would look like a third rate country even more.

It's true there is something about putting on a boobie-shaped hat that makes a some police think they can harrass innocent people who are going about their day. Though if we want to get in to that can of worms, it really deserves a non tavern topic.
It could be worse, we could be in America, which is rapidly turning in to a worse police state than the "dictatorships" they like to bomb. www.copblock.org lists just some examples of how much worse it could be.

Thankfully I have had very few dealings with police in my life, and when I have, they have been polite (dare I say even "friendly"?) and not abused their power for the sake of an ego trip. But it doesn't take much effort to find examples of times when they frankly take the piss.

Towseriv said:
I think you will find car tax hasn't covered the cost if the roads for quite a few years. As for the bins what would you do without them collecting?

Hmm bad me I forgot there is no longer such a thing as road tax it's now called VED so it doesn't have to spent on roads.
A quick search on Google will confirm for you that if you add VED and Fuel Exersise Duty then it adds up to approximatly three times the roads budget so don't worry us motorists more than pay for the roads.

On bin collections are we seriously saying that nearly £2000 per year is good value for bin collection? Come on I could rent a skip for £80 and that would take me all year to fill.
It's not about not having it, it's about value for money which it isn't.
Maybe we should bring the poll tax back and then a few more people would be paying for it!

Fredward said:
ChocolateStarfish said:
Street lighting should be solar in this day and age.

And who's going to pay for the installation of these solar street lighting.

Obviously there would be a one off cost but this could be payed for by central government, then we could do away with council tax altogether.
Lets be honest its just a property tax and has sod all to do with services.

Local government is basically a chance for the opposition party's to try and point score against the current government for political gain, look no further than good old Liverpool for a perfect example of this currently.

There are plenty of private 'bin collectors' these days.

For a 1100 litre bin (the big ones you see at the back of pubs etc) could be collected every month for £25 a shot, or fortnightly for £23 a go.

Or for the normal wheelie bins; £43 a month for weekly collections, £21 a month for fortnightly collections (that most of us get now) and £12 a month for only one collection a month.

This would obviously go down should more households take this option.

That is much better value for money than c/tax don't you think?

Maybe council tax should be abolished and any amenities you want/need are paid for privately? (Not just bin collections.)

Criminals could be billed for whatever damage / work they need / cause? And neighbourhoods could pay for however much / little lighting & policing they need / want too.

Maybe slightly too optimistic that it could work...

Blaze said:
smudge said:
Maybe council tax should be abolished and any amenities you want/need are paid for privately?
Because that worked sooo well with the trains...

It has worked with the trains can you not remember the dark days of good old BR.

Our train service used to be the joke of the world during the 70's and 80's, and whilst its still a joke compared to France etc its light years ahead of then.
Once HS2 is up and running to the north hopefully we will be able to catch a train from Manchester or Sheffield to Paris or the rest of Europe.