• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What are you listening to?

Finally got around to to listing up Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips, what an album! I always liked the title song and Fight Test when they were released as singles back in 2002 but for some reason I never got the album even though it would have been just my thing, a psychedelic indie trip hip pop album. And I never realised at the time that the brilliant Fight Test was so obviously heavily “inspired” by the absolute classic song Father And Son by Cat Sevens.

https://youtu.be/fye1XtXQn9s

And I never realised at the time that the brilliant Fight Test was so obviously heavily “inspired” by the absolute classic song Father And Son by Cat Sevens.

He's actually a credited writer on it IIRC.

I loved the albumn but adored the title track at the time. Thanks for reminding me of such an incredible album, not listend to it for years, got it on now!

He's actually a credited writer on it IIRC.

I loved the albumn but adored the title track at the time. Thanks for reminding me of such an incredible album, not listend to it for years, got it on now!

It’s a great album isn’t it. Currently listening to Three EPs by The Beta Band, seemed a good choice of album to listen to now after Yoshimi the other day. Dry The Rain is such a great song!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to to listing up Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips, what an album! I always liked the title song and Fight Test when they were released as singles back in 2002 but for some reason I never got the album even though it would have been just my thing, a psychedelic indie trip hip pop album. And I never realised at the time that the brilliant Fight Test was so obviously heavily “inspired” by the bsolute classic song Father And Son by Cat Sevens.

😲😲😲

From: https://www.facebook.com/100044469548069/posts/pfbid02mcsPSCcV7hiUKGa6cmUr7FKzdYCSRH4meHA2BvCbpZvoyonVZV7g2nMrrim5fLYAl/

Any Arctic Monkeys fans in these parts ? The Car dropped on Friday. It's not exactly what I hoped for, but entirely what I expected.

My favourite tunes are Jet Skis on the Moat, Mr Schwartz, Sculptures of Anything Goes and there's no doubt the first two singles There'd Better Be a Mirrorball and Body Paint are really strong tunes. Body Paint is probably my favourite if pushed.

It's curious how much hate the band get for their current sound, but ultimately they're all spiritual successors to Cornerstone, Only Ones Who Know, etc.

Any Arctic Monkeys fans in these parts ? The Car dropped on Friday. It's not exactly what I hoped for, but entirely what I expected.

Yeah - I'll give it a chance to grow but I definitely in the "meh" camp. All for growing and going off in another direction but this is no Kid A.

Loved the first 2 albums. Lost interest after that. Then bought AM based on reviews, didn't get the hype, thought it was ok but not that special or worthy of all the attention. Kinda chalked it up to getting old. Just another band from around that time that I started off liking and CBA keeping up with. See also: Bloc Party, Kings of Leon, Biffy Clyro, etc.

Going back a bit further, another band that dropped off my radar after 2 albums: Garbage. Played the debut recently for the first time in I guess 10 years or more, still sounds pretty ace to me.

Finally got around to to listing up Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips, what an album! I always liked the title song and Fight Test when they were released as singles back in 2002 but for some reason I never got the album even though it would have been just my thing, a psychedelic indie trip hip pop album.

A good one, but my interest in the Lips dropped off after that. Never got into Mystics & Embryonic, heard real mixed reports of everything they've done since, including some poor production & ear bleeding noise levels. But I love their 90s stuff - In A Priest Driven Ambulance (one of my all time fave album titles), Hit To Death In The Future Head, Transmissions From The Satellite Heart, Clouds Taste Metallic, & The Soft Bulletin. All great albums. I particularly like The Soft Bulletin, it was one of those albums that the music press were all over at the time in 1999, same as they were with Mercury Rev's 'Deserters Songs' in 98, and Lambchop's 'Nixon' in 2000, and rightly so on all counts. I saw Mercury Rev & The Flaming Lips touring together in 1999, twice in a week, Jonathan from Mercury Rev played guitar on the Priest & Hit To Death albums. I love that era of the Lips, psychedelic noisy indie rock at its finest.

Last edited:
Did you do the Pavement gig dippy?

Yeah, easily one of my fave 90s bands. Really weird sitting in the Apollo, only ever stood down the bottom before. Standing was sold out, had to get a second to back row seat. Still, good view & sound from anywhere as it's not massive. Just have to put up with a ton of people blocking your view every time they leave their seats for the loo / bar. 5 great albums to pick from, they vary the sets up too which not all bands do that much.

I think there is an age thing at play sometimes - whereas in my 20s I would listen to every band that hit the scene you get to a point where you have heard it all before and everything just feels like a less exciting version of what has gone before.

Not a vast amount exciting me these days. The main go-to is still Everything Everything - Raw Data Feel. I think the last album that really grabbed me before that was Elbow - Giants of all Sizes. Little in between!

It's quite good that Spotify has added the "Enhance" feature now. I have a big old playlist and having that on peppering in stuff you haven't heard is pretty good.

This album was playing in a tap room I was in yesterday and I thought it sounded great, I'll certainly give it a proper listen. A brilliantly clear recording too.

Went to see The Feeling last night. Might be a bit middle of the road pop rock for some but they are superb live and one of those bands who you forget have had so many great records until you hear them. They also chucked in a couple of songs from Everybody's Talking About Jamie musical which they wrote the soundtrack for, worked well in the set of chart music. The bass guitarist is this lucky git, who goes home to Sophie Ellis Bextor every night.
20221024_220144.jpg

Currently stuck between the new Let's Eat Grandma album and freaky dub of Indubious.
Got stuck in the rut of playing the weird The Skints Swimming Lessons in the car...so I yeeted it to dippy.

Last edited: