• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What is keeping you on forums in the social media age?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. As we’re all on one, I’d guess that many on here are fans of the forum as a medium of discussion. However, few would deny that forums are going out of fashion somewhat in the wider world. I’ve certainly noticed that many of the theme park forums I’m a member of have become a fair bit quieter since I first started reading forums in 2014 or so. I couldn’t possibly know for sure, but I’d guess that that’s in large part due to the rise of social media and things like Facebook groups and Discord. These social media discussion channels are very popular, and there’s absolutely loads of theme park-based social media discussion groups.

With that being said, forums clearly still exist and have a fair captive audience; me and all of you are still here after all! On that note, I’d be really interested to know; in the age of social media, what is it about forums that keeps you coming back? Why haven’t you made the migration to social media like so many have? And if you’re a more recent member in particular, why didn’t you do what many new starters of the hobby do nowadays and skip the forums in favour of social media groups? What made you come to forums instead?

Personally, I have a few reasons why I’ve stayed on forums instead of migrating to social media groups for my theme park-related news and discussion.

One reason is that on forums, the topics and opinions themselves take centre stage. I’m not saying that they aren’t important on social media, but from my (admittedly limited) experience of theme park social media, there can often be a fair amount of personal politics that can distract from the issues being discussed; it can become more centred around personalities and cliques than the issues themselves. Forums, on the other hand, are inherently less personality-based, and I feel that that allows the topics and opinions themselves to become the principle focus. Don’t get me wrong, you can have some fierce debates and disagreements on a forum, but they are almost always completely impersonal. A fierce debate on a forum will almost always be purely topical or based on one’s opinions, and it will very rarely have a personal undercurrent to it. Whereas I feel that social media can become more about personalities, and the debates can carry a more personal undercurrent compared to those on forums. As I’m someone who is interested in topical and opinion-based discussion first and foremost, I much prefer the more impersonal nature of forums.

Another reason is that forums allow you to discuss topics and issues in more depth. On social media, I feel that the discussions and posts often only scratch the surface of an issue. That can be either down to imposed character limits on posts (such as on Twitter) or a desire for shorter, more attention-grabbing posts from those who typically use social media. Regardless, the discussion doesn’t seem quite as in-depth on social media, whereas a forum allows you to go into more depth on an issue. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that (not everyone wants to read a long essay on a topic), but as someone who prefers to dissect issues in a little more depth, the forum suits me more in that regard.

Yet another reason is that I like the organisation and structure of forums. On social media, the discussion is a little more free-flowing. While that suits some people, I do like the structure that allows me to easily find discussion on any particular thing and read it or add to it, and I love the order of a well organised forum. With that in mind, forums suit me more in that regard.

Those are just some of the reasons why I’m still actively using forums in the social media age, but I’d be really keen to know your thoughts on this. Do you agree with anything I say, or are your reasons different?

The things you suggest are about right @Matt N.

Also
- I'm old. I don't know what a discord might be. I did try to sign up to it for something once but it just sent me on a neverending loop of nonsense and wouldn't let me in to play.
- most 'conversations' on social media are just a mess of a slanging match with nothing achieved.
- Forums are full of people I don't know in person, but I know from history who's opinion and word I trust. Social media is just people trying to one up each other and no one is to be believed or trusted.
- I only really use facebook, and there will be theme park stuff on there, but I like the level of disassociation being here instead gives.
- I am a creature of habit.

Unfortunately it feels like some of the negative traits of social media style of conversing have started creeping on to forums more and more, this should never get too bad though (hopefully) as forums can be much more easily moderated than socials.

Last edited:
Social media is closely linked to mobile phone use, massive lost productivity at work, and brain death.
I have witnessed this on several occasions, sometimes with people I thought I knew well.
Managed to give them all a big body swerve.
Living in the real world is what keeps you alive, and reasonably sane
People who walk into me because they are focusing on phone media tend to bounce off.
I give them advice on walking in a straight line and looking in the direction where they are actually travelling.
But they don't understand because they are brain dead.

The in jokes and community are a big part of it. Also, it seems like people on these forums are much more sensible and more intelligent than most people on social media. As stated by previous posts, you can also discuss topics in more depth on forums.

These forums are a focused, well moderated place to have discussion where you can watch it evolve, with or without the moderators big stick to keep things on topic (And even more exciting when the Ban Hammer appears) and has a great community, especially on meets.

I'm on both and talk coasters on both but social media has a good use for finding info on fairs especially along with parks announcing more and more on their socials.

Speaking of in jokes...
I'm sorry Matt, but you write another bloody essay for the opening post, but do not put a full conclusion in bold at the bottom for the tldr viewers.
Shame on you.
And don't you dare offer a heartfelt apology.

Last edited:
Matt you mention Discord and Facebook groups which aren’t really “social media”.

There is really two separate things, social media where you update people on your life/opinions/skills and specific topic discussion spaces where you chat with people on a topic.

If I just want to tell my friends I’ve been to the cinema, maybe to start a discussion on the film but also just to update them on my life, I use Facebook.
If I have taken a pretty photo I think the world might enjoy I use Instagram.
But these are social media, I am just putting out updates about me.

Whereas if I wanted to discuss the new ride construction at AT I would come here as it is on a specific topic.
If I wanted to see what’s going on at WDW I might use the WDWMagic forum or the Sub-Reddit for Disneyworld.
I also use Reddit to look at discussion on many other nerdy topics, or to browse funny stories people post on specific themes.

Don’t use Discord much but it’s mainly a chat room really, more specific than social media but free flowing discussion chat instead of threaded stuff like a forum or Sub-Reddit.

There is also Facebook groups for specific topic discussions too.

But generally I go to the website/forum that has the most interesting or lively discussion on a given topic, so this is my favourite for Alton Towers but I use Reddit for Splatoon discussions.

Discord is... difficult to understand unless the group in question is well organised. But also if you sleep and its busy you can miss a whole chunk. It is definitely confusing to use and I'm not really present on it bar a few small groups.

The fact that you can go more in-depth on forums is the big bonus over socials. Not that I really use Twitter (mainly for football updates) and from what I hear/see of the various sub-groups that reside there I'm glad I'm not particularly deeply involved in it. Toxic as hell, full of one-upmanship and people teasing stuff just because they like that feeling of knowing something others don't.

Facebook seems to be the same. But I don't use that anymore. Don't follow many coaster YouTube stuff bar those who focus on POVs. Don't have the time to watch 45 minute 'update' videos which spend half the time focusing on the presenter going on about themselves.

Plus you get many refusing to actually be critical of places because they want those delicious influencer freebies. Almost impossible to have real discussions when fans are gushing over freshly tarmaced entrance areas that look crap.

Forums are far more critical thinking places to be that promote discussion beyond a few short thoughts. And also with good modding can prevent any really toxic situations from happening. Unlike if you say something on Twitter and you're likely to become the target of a group of people. Some are of course deserved but also some undeserved.

People are just terrible. And as social media tends to enforce a bubble space of thoughts (I.e. algorithm sees you like alpha male nonsense, here's Andrew Tate and Jordan Peterson) it essentially entrenches viewpoints into a particular side and deepens the rabbit hole.

Only rampant fanboyism on here is Europa related. As I found out when I had the audacity to say I'm not too fond on the food options there. Can't be perfect.

Social media is closely linked to mobile phone use, massive lost productivity at work, and brain death.
I have witnessed this on several occasions, sometimes with people I thought I knew well.
Managed to give them all a big body swerve.
Get a bloody mobile phone you old cantankerous sod !!

Money.

There is no money here. This place and similar forums for other topics are set up because someone cared enough to create a little community for discussion, and the people participating are doing so because it makes them happy. If any of us (admins and users alike) wanted to get rich, setting up or participating in a niche theme park discussion forum would not be the way to do it. People are here for the pure love of the game. Nobody's trying to sell me anything, other than their free opinions on which roller coasters are good and which aren't. It's wonderful.

"Social media" is a handful of massive platforms, run by people who care only about monetizing your interests by using them to advertise back to you. Many of the users are active because they want to make money, and much of the "content" is directed by what makes money: think of "Youtube face" in the thumbnails.

Money.

There is no money here. This place and similar forums for other topics are set up because someone cared enough to create a little community for discussion, and the people participating are doing so because it makes them happy. If any of us (admins and users alike) wanted to get rich, setting up or participating in a niche theme park discussion forum would not be the way to do it. People are here for the pure love of the game. Nobody's trying to sell me anything, other than their free opinions on which roller coasters are good and which aren't. It's wonderful.

"Social media" is a handful of massive platforms, run by people who care only about monetizing your interests by using them to advertise back to you. Many of the users are active because they want to make money, and much of the "content" is directed by what makes money: think of "Youtube face" in the thumbnails.

I think that is spot on.

I would say that technically internet "forums" are social media, it's social and it's media !! But there is a big difference between not for profit forums and what most people think of as social media . I suppose Facebook is the first thing people think of when someone says social media.

I wonder how many YouTuber's would still be making videos if there was no way to make any money out of it ? -- Probably hardly any.

Get a bloody mobile phone you old cantankerous sod !!
cantankerous...absolutely spot on mate.
That is the precise reason I do not own a mobile phone.
Old and sod will be begrudgingly accepted as well.
Still, better than being a tyke I suppose.
Can't wait for that first pint mate...

You do all realise that the money made on TS funds all our nights in suites at Europa-Park?

Christ, the naivety of our members.

Anyway, keep posting. Every 15,000 posts and it's an extra grape in the fruit bowl at Bell Rock.

You do all realise that the money made on TS funds all our nights in suites at Europa-Park?

Christ, the naivety of our members.

Anyway, keep posting. Every 15,000 posts and it's an extra grape in the fruit bowl at Bell Rock.
Out of interest, how does the site make money? There are no ads, and there’s no kind of paywall or “premium membership” offering either, so I’m struggling to see where the revenue stream comes from.