• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What is your mentality towards riding non-kiddie “+1” type coasters?

What is your mentality towards riding non-kiddie “+1” type coasters?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Previously, I made a thread asking about people’s mentality towards riding kiddie coasters, as I’m aware that it certainly divides opinion. Today, I’m making another similar thread, and I’m wondering about your mentality towards riding non-kiddie “+1” type coasters, as I’m aware that some people may have a different mentality towards non-kiddie +1s. For clarity, I’m referring to the type of non-kiddie coaster that you might ride just to tick it off the list and get the +1, and have no strong inclination to ride again afterwards. I’m thinking of common cloned models like Reverchon spinning wild mice, Zyklons, SLCs, Boomerangs, Volares etc, but more generally, I’m talking about any non-kiddie coaster type that you personally aren’t a huge fan of and would only really ride to get the +1. I’d be really intrigued to know; what is your personal mentality towards riding these non-kiddie “+1” type coasters?

As I did with the kiddie coaster thread, I’ll specify four categories where I think most people would probably fall into one of them:
  • Category A: I’ll ride any non-kiddie “+1” you put in front of me, and I’ll go any distance to ride it. I want that sweet, sweet +1 in my count!
  • Category B: I might go to a park exclusively to ride its non-kiddie “+1”s if it’s close to home or close to another major park I’m visiting, but I wouldn’t go far out of my way to visit a park that only has “+1” type coasters.
  • Category C: I’ll ride a non-kiddie “+1” if it’s within a park I’m visiting for its more major draws, but I wouldn’t go to a park that only had “+1” type coasters regardless of distance.
  • Category D: I don’t bother with any non-kiddie “+1” type coaster. I only want to ride coasters I really enjoy!
I’d be really interested to know; which of these categories do you feel you fall into?

I’m a staunch Category D in terms of kiddie coasters, but I’d probably describe myself as more of a Category B when it comes to non-kiddie “+1”s. If a non-kiddie +1 is nearby, I’ll probably go and ride it to tick it off the list. I rode the Reverchon spinning wild mouse on the end of Blackpool South Pier before when I was in Blackpool to visit the Pleasure Beach, and I recently went to Brean Theme Park, my nearest theme park, for the first time to ride its 3 non-kiddie “+1”s. If a non-kiddie “+1” is located close to home or near to somewhere else with major draws I’m visiting, I will probably go and ride it.

With that being said, I probably wouldn’t travel any significant distance just for “+1” type coasters. I may have been to Brean Theme Park, but I mainly went due to it being reasonably local to me, only being located in Somerset. If it had been located somewhere further away like, say, Newcastle or Norfolk, I wouldn’t have bothered unless I was in the area for other reasons.

But what is your mentality towards riding non-kiddie “+1”s? Which category would you say you fall into?

Last edited:
Somewhere between C and D, depending on the park.

I'll ride family coasters if they offer a unique themed experience but otherwise will give them a swerve and re ride the thrill coasters.

Energylandia have 17 coasters and at least 12 of them are a complete waste of time.

Probably category C for me. I'll ride them in the park's I'm already visiting, but wouldn't really ever choose to go to a park that only had standard/boring/rubbish coaster models. If I was to visit such a park, it would likely be for some other reason such as a standout non-coaster ride or the park's location etc.

Last edited:
Another Cat C here. I'd be more than happy to ride a Zyklon if there was a decent wooden coaster in the same park for example. But I wouldn't go out of my way to go to the park with just a Zyklon for the sake of a +1

Looking at it, probably B. Back when doing cred runs it depended on the trip and nearby places.

Sometimes these smaller parks can be hidden gems. De Waarbeek is my favourite example of such a park with no "major" coaster yet being a nicely run park with old school rides.

No shame in cred runs.

D for me.... despite almost only going to theme parks with my young son :tearsofjoy:

Fortunately most of the time he only wants to go on either the scariest rollercoasters repeatedly or dark rides.

A lot of respect those who hunt every credit they can but it’s not for me haha. I’d rather have a few beers and some food and then just do a few rides on the major attractions. Maybe if I’m in a group I’ll head onto smaller coasters but I usually draw the line at Mine trains 😂

Voted B, think when your planning any trips to major parks and driving between them you'll come across parks with a bunch of generic coasters. But then you'll find especially in Europe there's plenty of charm and hidden delights in visiting these parks doing the coasters and having an explore.

If I'm at a park already, I'll ride most everything that looks interesting. A lot of the time this excludes kiddie coasters, but sometimes the mood strikes. I would never travel any distance, even to the other side of a park I'm already in, to ride a ride just to tick it off a list. I agree with @Connor98, you don't get a credit for having a cold beer in the park, but some pleasures can't be quantified :cool:

The hidden gems thing raises a point. I'll happily visit new parks, because why not? Zatorland is brilliant for the dinosaurs despite having 2 small kids creds.
And the weird bug land, and the lake with all the statues. Park Miniatur about 30 minutes away as well, random sbf visa Spinner, but also a miniature village, a weird castle with a fire breathing dragon. And you can see the garden designed to look like Pope John Paul II. (have a look on Google earth)