• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which ride will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

Which ride at Alton will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

• Spinball

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Rita

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Hex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twirling Toadstool

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Congo River Rapids

• Galactica

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Nemesis

• Duel

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • The Blade

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Enterprise

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Runaway Mine Train

• Oblivion

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Thirteen

• Other (please state)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
I also enjoy Battle Galleons. I'm 27 years old, but when me and my 2 brothers recently visited Alton Towers, we literally behaved like 12 year olds on and around the ride area.

Great for bringing out the kid in you, but as you say, you need the weather on your side. Or I have sometimes done it at the end of the day, so I can go back to hotel/B&B and get changed straight away =D

me and the husband were worse then my 9 year old son in june when we went i had to use the drying cabins for the first time ever and even then i was still wet when i got home. Some of that was due to riding nemesis two times in a row in the poring rain afterwards haha.

I hate it. It requires EFFORT to make the water shoot out and you get soaked with dirty, cold water.. not nice

The water is clean, the boats have a tank which is filled via the mast in the centre while they are loading.

There was a law/rule passed a few years before Battle Galleons that all new theme park rides must use "clean" water (so treated or filtered like a swimming pool). So the older rides like the Flume still splashes into lake water, but Battle Galleons uses clean water.

Yup. I think Storm Force Ten was one of the last rides to be built in the UK that uses natural "water".

I hate it. It requires EFFORT to make the water shoot out and you get soaked with dirty, cold water.. not nice

Just don't ride it then.

Battle Galleons is a really bizarre attraction for people to be complaining about. Regardless of your opinions on it, it's one of few attractions on park which actually probably represents the best possible use of its footprint. Sure, it's not much fun for about 99% of the year, but I'd assume it's relatively cheap to operate now that it has been constructed, and it has outstanding theming, possibly the best in the park, which can be viewed without actually going on the ride. It really is one of the last rides that should be considered for removal.

Ripsaw, Blade, The Flume & Charlie are the obvious candidates. All on their last legs and in prime locations for redevelopment.

Just don't ride it then.

Battle Galleons is a really bizarre attraction for people to be complaining about. Regardless of your opinions on it, it's one of few attractions on park which actually probably represents the best possible use of its footprint. Sure, it's not much fun for about 99% of the year, but I'd assume it's relatively cheap to operate now that it has been constructed, and it has outstanding theming, possibly the best in the park, which can be viewed without actually going on the ride. It really is one of the last rides that should be considered for removal.

Ripsaw, Blade, The Flume & Charlie are the obvious candidates. All on their last legs and in prime locations for redevelopment.

As much as I agree it has amazing theming, I would much rather have the water cannon aspect taken away so it is more like a boat ride with fantastic scenery

Just don't ride it then.

Probably isn't that cheap to run. Need to pay for all the water for the guns to fire and for the motor thingys that move the boat. Given it isn't busy for most of the year I would rather they spent the money on Sub-Terra

I think it's a relatively inexpensive ride to operate - particularly compared to other water rides, from both a power and staffing respect.

I don't. Just my opinion. I'm sure other people will agree that it's not a pleasant ride.
It's irrelevant. Could that space be better utilised? No. Unless you're saying that you'd prefer the park if the ride didn't exist, which would be a strange statement. Like you, it's very very rare that I ride Battle Galleons (maybe once a year if I visit on a 30*C+ day) because I don't enjoy it otherwise. That doesn't stop me from appreciating it as a worthwhile attraction that should be kept.

Saying "I don't find Battle Galleons pleasant so it isn't worth having" is a bit like me saying "I can't ride the Frog Hopper so they should get rid of it".

I would much rather have the water cannon aspect taken away so it is more like a boat ride with fantastic scenery
I suspect people would then complain that it didn't do much (certainly marketing would have struggled with it when it opened), and I think a massive part of what kids (the target audience really) love about the ride is the interactive element - they don't care if they get soaked! Although personally I agree that I would prefer a water-free attraction.

It's irrelevant. Could that space be better utilised? No. Unless you're saying that you'd prefer the park if the ride didn't exist, which would be a strange statement. Like you, it's very very rare that I ride Battle Galleons (maybe once a year if I visit on a 30*C+ day) because I don't enjoy it otherwise. That doesn't stop me from appreciating it as a worthwhile attraction that should be kept.

Saying "I don't find Battle Galleons pleasant so it isn't worth having" is a bit like me saying "I can't ride the Frog Hopper so they should get rid of it".

I suspect people would then complain that it didn't do much (certainly marketing would have struggled with it when it opened), and I think a massive part of what kids (the target audience really) love about the ride is the interactive element - they don't care if they get soaked! Although personally I agree that I would prefer a water-free attraction.
Good point. However, when I have been to Alton Towers before I saw very few people on it and they came of soaking. Personally, if it was possible, I would on cold days turn off the guns and on warmer days keep them on. That might be impossible to do but it would be good.

Reactions: D4n
I would rather Battle Galleons lost its guns and got turned into a simple boat ride, maybe add some scenes around the ride so there is more to look at. Its very well themed and does fit in to the area, but the ride is far too wet for the UK.

Making it so you hit targets instead of people would work. I think there are some targets at the moment.

Feed the Giant Squid enough chavs and lure it to the BG pond. Instant new feature :)

Ripsaw has already been removed and ive hear that the blade might be getting removed as well
Who did you hear that from? Blade is one of th only rides I don't expect to be closed at the start of the season (though I think a fatal mid season breakdown isn't unlikely ;))

Who did you hear that from? Blade is one of th only rides I don't expect to be closed at the start of the season (though I think a fatal mid season breakdown isn't unlikely ;))
it was on a youtube video and it said it may close as its one of the oldest rides there