• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which ride will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

Which ride at Alton will be removed next? (Poll reset 20.06.2017)

• Spinball

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Rita

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Nemesis: Sub-Terra

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Hex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twirling Toadstool

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Congo River Rapids

• Galactica

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Nemesis

• Duel

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • The Blade

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Enterprise

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Runaway Mine Train

• Oblivion

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Thirteen

• Other (please state)

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
I think skyride is safe. don't see a need to really get rid unless it just falls apart.

CATCF has to go. Its been their too long, and they obviously are counting down the days till they can swing the big axe. I haven't been on it for at least 4 years, and it was good they kept the Quentin Blake look. But its still couldn't decide to go for the books or for the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp Michael Jackson version.

THE FLUME. With some regret this is ride I have never been on. As when I visit its always raining or cold. Also its a hanger on of the old way AT was run. Like the dear old Black Hole, and then headache enduring Corkscrew it too will be scrapped for a newer machine.

THE FLUME. ... Like the dear old Black Hole, and then headache enduring Corkscrew it too will be scrapped for a newer machine.

You mean it will be closed, left SBNO for a couple of years, then slowly demolished over another couple of years, and finally five years later they will start construction on a woefully inferior replacement that opens late and is plagued with technical problems?

You mean it will be closed, left SBNO for a couple of years, then slowly demolished over another couple of years, and finally five years later they will start construction on a woefully inferior replacement that opens late and is plagued with technical problems?

I ment scrapped form the towers line up.

In regards to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. If the IP does run out and the license isn't renewed I can very much see Towers removing the theming specific to the IP and keeping the attraction as a tour around a chocolate factory, without the Charlie tag. In which case 90% of the theming could remain along with the elevators. I think that would be the cheapest possible solution without losing the attraction.
This is would be similar to what they did with bubbleworks at chessington if this happened. Professor burp (toyland tours) has potential to be retheemed to imperial leather (CatCF) which is another sponsor. it gets replaced by an inferior ride. Only difference between CatCF and bubbleworks is with bubbleworks, all you need to do is cover the logos but Charlie would still follow the story and all of the characters names ect...

I think blade is safe for another season as they have said "blade will remain open for the foreseeable future"
The flume will probably be safe until sw9 when they need the space but I can't see it going until then unless the operating cost gets too high or it has a bad breakdown. In this case it would be left SNBO for a few years.

After recent events, is it likely that the smiler will go? I really hope not but it wouldn't be a shock?
I think with the media witch hunt merlin will have to be seen to be proactive to the public response of it, which has mainly been catastrophic!
Everything I have read via s/m has been majoritley negative from normal public.
Before I get hate and stuff I appreciate risk to likelihood and perceive myself as being 1/100000000 to get hurt on a ride.

The Flume, looks outdated, looks knackered and is knackered judging by the number of leaks. Replace it with something like Stormforce 10.

After recent events, is it likely that the smiler will go? I really hope not but it wouldn't be a shock?
I think with the media witch hunt merlin will have to be seen to be proactive to the public response of it, which has mainly been catastrophic!
Everything I have read via s/m has been majoritley negative from normal public.
Before I get hate and stuff I appreciate risk to likelihood and perceive myself as being 1/100000000 to get hurt on a ride.

As long as something major doesn't happen again once it reopens, I don't think Smiler will be going anywhere for a while yet, although I wouldn't be surprised if the life span of this coaster will be much shorter than the likes of Nemy, Blivvy & Air (to the degree they out live a Smiler).

The Flume, looks outdated, looks knackered and is knackered judging by the number of leaks. Replace it with something like Stormforce 10.
I think maybe something along the lines of Chipas at Phantasialand would personally be a better replacement.

I haven't done Storm Force 10 yet, however ive heard the water isn't the cleanest of wet rides.

The Flume IS a reasonable log flume. If it was in good condition with some better thematic elements nobody would have a problem.

Job done.

I don't like the shower after the main drop. The whole point of a water ride is the element of chance of getting wet. To just drizzle a shower head on you at the end of the ride seems lazy, I swear the main drop used to get you a lot wetter in the past.

I feel with the recent opening and general good PR in publicly announcing what's best for the victims and increased safety protocols, The Smiler doesn't NEED to shut from a reputation point of view. Polls suggest that many of us and the GP will still ride it. (As much as the spoon-fed redtop readers might have you believe). It would be too much of a loss, I feel a rebrand is much more likely. You must wonder where this Smiler merch has gone. Most likely into storage away from the public e.g Nick Outta Control etc, that appears to be the only indication of a current departure for The Smiler, but this could just as well mean a retheme. Which I'd be in favour for, as much as i love The Marmiliser, X-Sector was never the best themed in the park and I'm all for customer confidence with safety and such over themeing. Just don't taint our Blivvy!

With the financial implications of the incident set to affect seasons to come, I feel Merlin's recent decimation of flat rides would leave The Blade or the ride I have always been a bit iffy with - Ripsaw to go next just to saw a bit of dosh and be regarded as "early prep for SW8", like Submission and Enterprises initial early decomission to "prepare for SW7". Enterprise was never meant to go it seems, just to help cut back on the huge investment for The Smiler by having a season out.

Although I remember of many years browsing and posting on the other forum and here, that CATCF was always assumed to be a 10 year lease only, would be odd if it were any more judging by the longevity of IP/Sponsored Rides in the theme park industry in general not lasting any longer. I can't name any IP or sponsorship that has lasted for more than 10 years on a ride before a removal/retheme (hopefully the latter in Charlie's case), I'm sure you lot can maybe as I'm out of the theme park loop but its only a minority if so you get my gist. Never liked CATCF, even as an 8 year old way back in 2006, elevator was the best bit - and not just because it was near the exit! Its had its long queues at times, (I remember such a disappointing wait very vividly), and with the potential idea of bringing the CCL areas identity back with "CBBC Land" in a few years (which I still see unlikely with rumours of a BBC Theme park and Ice Age being renewed with a new film), I would certainly not object to a new dark ride to replace CATCF ASAP. So I'll go with that.

Whole area overhauls are the least of Merlin's worries right now, I wouldn't expect much of a major investment next year, which is why I can cross Duel, Flume etc of the list, though if The Smiler is being rethemed I wouldn't be surprised if the aged Enterprise was finally (albeit sadly) given the whip too soon.

Have you been on any other log flumes?
Yeah I've been on lots and it's nothing amazing but does the job well. Whilst it's no Valhalla by any means, it's still a good log flume - one of the longest in the UK in terms of duration, definitely one of the highest throughputs and if it was given a spruce up then it would be fine.

I can't name any IP or sponsorship that has lasted for more than 10 years on a ride before a removal/retheme (hopefully the latter in Charlie's case),
The only real exception to this is the superhero 'themed' rides at the Six Flags parks. The first Batman clone opened in 1992, that's a pretty good run as far as an IP goes. At the time, little did Six Flags know how many successful films were still to come!

It depends how careful you are with with IP you choose, some have much more longevity than others - particularly if they are considered to be classic when they are installed - Thomas Land, for instance.

Ip for sonic has been renewed until next year I think. either that or Charlie for next retheme.

Same will (hopefully) happen to enterprise as what happened to blade, too many people will beg for it to stay open.

Flume is safe until they need space.

All coasters apart from smiler (still not soon), sonic, rmt are safe until they have a fatal error, become completely unpopular (not likely), too expensive to run or when the park closes (not in my lifetime)

Same will (hopefully) happen to enterprise as what happened to blade, too many people will beg for it to stay open.

The thing with The Blade is that it was completely unannounced, and we just found out for ourselves that it had been removed from the map, so we enquired about it, and eventually it stayed open. I would have thought they would announce Enterprise's closure a bit in advance.

Look to Thorpe Park and the success or failure of WC16 as to what goes in the charlie warehouse, they already have a huge space there, with an ip that is more than likely to expire soon, however there are many examples of intellectual property at theme parks lasting longer than 10 years, just look at Universal Studios with Marvel Super Hero Island at Islands of Adventure, an IP that has remained with the park since opening, much to the Dismay of Disney, who own Marvel, yet in Florida are not even allowed to add the word Marvel to any of their rides or stores as part of fhe Universal Deal.

But as i said, i believe Towers will be watching Thorpe closely as to whether the new ride is a success, then we may see a new ride system go into the pre existing charlie building and the eventual eradication of CCL as was actually suggested to us at one point when my wife and i received jobs at Towers that we had to end up turning down because we could not arrange a moving van in time to start.

^ As far as I know, despite it's age, the Charlie ride system is pretty hassle free. Also, it's not that big.

We'll see - but I think they'll keep it and retheme it.