• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

I only took three photos last night but one of them was of the £3k chap

1Za2sOU.jpg
Are the smaller ones for sale? If so how much are they?

You mean I could use all the branches from my trimmed down bushes (ohhhhh!), glue them all together and then flog it to goons for £3k?

That's next weekend sorted...

You mean I could use all the branches from my trimmed down bushes (ohhhhh!), glue them all together and then flog it to goons for £3k?

That's next weekend sorted...

Only if your bush is made from copper....

It is a stupidly expensive piece of merch but I suspect it’s primary purpose is as a centrepiece for the shop. I doubt they really expect to sell it.

They could do with letting people know if Wicker Man will be opened along with the other coasters if they do indeed manage to open them at some point this week. None of this pathetic 'There may be some soft openings during the week' before a grand opening on Saturday. Would it be so hard to just give it to people straight after the inconvenience of the weekend? I'm sure I won't be the only one who has been around Alton this weekend and would consider coming back on Mon/Tue (weather permitting) if they could at least confirm that they were definitely planning to open if the other coasters open. Or am I being totally unreasonable?

They could do with letting people know if Wicker Man will be opened along with the other coasters if they do indeed manage to open them at some point this week. None of this pathetic 'There may be some soft openings during the week' before a grand opening on Saturday. Would it be so hard to just give it to people straight after the inconvenience of the weekend? I'm sure I won't be the only one who has been around Alton this weekend and would consider coming back on Mon/Tue (weather permitting) if they could at least confirm that they were definitely planning to open if the other coasters open. Or am I being totally unreasonable?

I think it’s once bitten twice shy, if the weather is good then it will open midweek.

To be fair a lot of parks do unannounced soft openings. Especially the ones open year around. They won’t want to declare they are opening it until they are sure the weather is stable, you only have to see the sensationalist news report from “the S*n” to see the damage that can be done.

It looks like anyone who purchased the wickerman photo box which apparently containing an exclusive 3D photo frame

I'm sorry to say that it's doesn't look that exclusive (pic taken from FB)

edQs6Ly.jpg

Surely the photo box has now been miss sold?

I guess what I'm kind of angling at is, if people were to turn up with half a hope that the new coaster could be open on Tuesday, then all of the other coasters were open, but Wicker Man wasn't. They could have just been straight with people that they had no intention of opening it, especially after a weekend where communication could have already been earlier or more clear. But yeah, I get what you're saying Dave.

I guess what I'm kind of angling at is, if people were to turn up with half a hope that the new coaster could be open on Tuesday, then all of the other coasters were open, but Wicker Man wasn't. They could have just been straight with people that they had no intention of opening it, especially after a weekend where communication could have already been earlier or more clear. But yeah, I get what you're saying Dave.

I think they will open it if the other coasters open. You know they are pulling a fast one if it doesn’t open but Oblivion, Smiler and Skyride do

It looks like anyone who purchased the wickerman photo box which apparently containing an exclusive 3D photo frame

edQs6Ly.jpg

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be a single atom in a different place to justify the limited edition claim.

Well I have hotel booked Monday night which I can still cancel thank goodness. I originally planned to visit Monday and Tuesday but I think there's every chance Monday could be like the weekend too. I might cancel and just go early Tuesday morning but I imagine loads of people will now be targeting Tuesday as that's the day the weather is supposed to dramatically improve.

It seems there's no reason for them not to open it as long as there aren't gale force winds all week. I'd guess they'll open it for at least a couple of hours a day throughout the week.

However they're clearly desperate for an 'official' opening so they can get people to dance around with fire and play some music before cutting a ribbon.

Towers are understandably being very cautious. Wind/temperature restrictions are perhaps more cautious on the coasters than they were pre-Smiler crash. If Wicker Man broke down, you'll have guests potentially stuck on the lift hill for a while in the cold, the media will quickly grab snapshots from social media and will be quickly writing stories up 'disaster as guests stuck 100ft in freezing weather on brand new Wicker Man ride'. I can see why Towers are playing it very safe and holding back until the weather is fully stable and they know Wicker Man, and the other coasters, can run all day with ease. Plus if wind speeds pick up and Wicker Man had to close, you could have a queue with 100s of guests being told to leave, that would most likely have a worse impact on guest satisfaction than it has keeping all the rides closed from opening.

HOWEVER, communication has been poor. There should have been an early warning mid-week of the weather forecasts and there should have been a CLEAR decision made public Friday lunchtime on the weekend's ride availability. Ideally today lunchtime they should be announcing ride availability for the week, and maybe announcing an official opening date of 24th March for Wicker Man, with soft openings during the week.

The park was actually quite busy yesterday! :eek:

I love to be a fly on the wall, over the past few months, there were people posting on social media asking the best time to get to the park to get in first thing as they wanted to be first in the queue-line for Wickerman. I would have loved to see the look on their faces for the joy of their hard earn't effort to be first in the queue line to turn to disappointment as they are then be told that the Wickerman will not be running for the day :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I love to be a fly on the wall, over the past few months, there were people posting on social media asking the best time to get to the park to get in first thing as they wanted to be first in the queue-line for Wickerman. I would have loved to see the look on their faces for the joy of their hard earn't effort to be first in the queue line to turn to disappointment as they are then be told that the Wickerman will not be running for the day :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I'm fairly sure that none of them expected to ride it yesterday but went in more than hope than anything else.

I think 99% of people will have seen something online on the various platforms that it wasn't likely to be running.

I think 99% of people will have seen something online on the various platforms that it wasn't likely to be running.
I am not so sure. All groups/families near us in the queue to get in yesterday had no idea until they arrived.

edQs6Ly.jpg

I spotted a difference, that one has a the Alton Towers logo at the top right and the photobox one has the Wickerman logo :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: