Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig, 14th Mar 2018.

1. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    No.

I am confident that on 3 trains, the ride will reach 1,000 per hour.

There is no reason that I can see why it should not.

skyscraper likes this.
  2. Olii

Olii TowersStreet Member

I got a sneaky ride in today by joining the queue at around 3:40. All I can say is wow, that was the first time I've come off a ride in the UK feeling thoroughly entertained. Every detail of the ride is near flawless (minus what I assume were teething problems, see spoiler tag). I think this ride may be competing for my Towers #1 for sure .

When I went through the pre show, the curtain being projected on to seemed like it wasn't properly in position, as the full video was not being displayed properly. Also, I assume the curtain is supposed to rise or move so that you can see the wicker man face when it lights up with fire? When I went through the curtain remained in place .It was still impressive though .

KingNemesis and skyscraper like this.
  3. IanSR

IanSR TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    Snap the pin off and glue a magnet on the back, hey presto one very unique fridge magnet for your collection (it's what I do for my wife who is mad on fridge magnets but hates pin badges).

Benjsh likes this.
  4. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    This Mirror article was amusing to read:

(Contains mild spoilers)

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/uk-ireland/alton-towers-wicker-man-review-12219948

5. Tuggerz

Tuggerz TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    "The verdict:
    The Wicker Man is a great addition and a positive step for the theme park that's been trying to move forward since the Smiler crash."

I hate to be that person, but for christ's sake, can any of these articles stop using that as the description of this park?!

Yes

6. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    It should say this 'The Wicker Man is a great addition and a positive step for the theme park that's been trying to move forward since the Smiler crash, but can't because we write about it in every article along with the Daily Fail and others making it impossible for them to do so'.:rolleyes:

7. Shockadelica

Shockadelica TowersStreet Member

Really enjoyed Wicker Man today. Much wilder than it looks and the experience as a whole is amazing! A truly worthy addition to the park.

8. Dipper_Dave

Dipper_Dave TowersStreet Member

Yay, other fridge magnet fans! I love a good ride / park fridge magnet. One of my faves is a Saw: The Ride magnet that doubles as a bottle opener. I felt I needed a souvenir afterwards to soften the blow of the 2 hour 10 minute queue for said ride. :mad:

Benjsh likes this.
  9. IanSR

IanSR TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    A crate of beer is the only thing to soften that awful ride.

10. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Oh I dunno, there is always euthanasia

IanSR likes this.
  11. Thomas5

Thomas5 TowersStreet Member

Hi!

New here but just dropped in to ask...

1) what did queue times for the Wicker Man peak at today?
    2) are AT doing that "parent queue share" thing of a few years back, and if so, so you think you can use it on this ride?

Thanks guys!
    X

DW_0505 likes this.
  12. Tuggerz

Tuggerz TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    The queue actually only peaked at 60ish minutes and I queued only 45 minutes.

All Merlin parks use a variation of the Parent Swap option, and Wickerman will be no different.

DW_0505 and Thomas5 like this.
  13. Thomas5

Thomas5 TowersStreet Member

That's fab - thanks for the reply. We're coming Sunday/Monday and I'm hoping that Monday morning will be our best bet for getting on this, but I'm not holding my breath...!!

The synergy of (a) a wooden rollercoaster with (b) wicker-man esque imagery (even if Lord Summerisle sadly doesn't feature) at (c) Alton Towers is possibly the best thing I've ever had the opportunity to experience, and I'm concerned that my life will essentially have no real purpose after this...! :hearteyes:

Until someone builds a Cannibal Holocaust dark ride of course - they could develop the old Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ride in this direction

14. WickerManiac

WickerManiac TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Colossus
    The only issue I see is if the pre-show becomes a limiting factor.

15. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

Well B&M said Nemesis was 1200-1300/hr, but it easily makes 1450/hr with a good ride team on the platform and guests who are not totally dumb as to what to do with their bags / shoes. Never fails to amaze me how guests will wait in a queue for [however long] then only try to tighten up their 20-lace boots when they come to board the ride... like they had any chance of falling off anyway!

16. Tom

Tom TowersStreet Member

The wicker man itself looks quite good in daylight I think - it looks more authentically burning. While the real fire effects look good at night, the fake ones inside are exposed somewhat in darkness.

Benjsh likes this.
  17. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    I am still not sure what value three trains bring to this ride, I guess we'll wait and see. I guess it's down to what sort of dwell time is likely with the configuration and what is the release point - presumably they are using the lift as a block.

Plastic Person likes this.
  18. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

How many trains' worth of people are released into the pre-show for each cycle?

19. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    The planning documentation said the pre-show room would hold 'up to 50 people' which I presume is two train loads and up to two staff. Imagine it'll be pretty cosy with 50 in there!

20. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Also final point on the ride.....there was a lot of talk about the restraints and fitting on the ride. I'm 6ft 4 and had no issues with the restraints at all. However there's not a lot of leg room at all. My feet were on an angle to fit in. Not the most comfortable of positions but not the worst. Anyone tall or with long legs like me might feel a tad squashed.

Didn't ruin it at all for me though.

Dipper_Dave likes this.