• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Wait for the "MILLION APOLOGIES" posters to go up at the entrance.
I have one of the thirteen ones (picked out of a bin) in my outside bog...together with a "go crap somewhere else, these bogs are faulty" sign from Thorpe.

And 3.30???
Barefaced lies.

It's about 50 seconds from the top of the lift hill.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks @Rob! That was a really interesting read! However, I do note that some of the statistics listed here go against what Alton originally said. For example, it says that the ride length is 2,610ft and it hits a top speed of 42mph, whereas Alton themselves have said that it is 2,028ft long and reaches a speed of 44mph. Is Alton understating the statistics, or does this article just have typos?

Having ridden Wicker Man on Sunday, I take back anything negative I said about it whilst watching it being constructed last year. It's AMAZING.

The presence the thing has from the moment it comes into view is quite something, with the richly decorated ride entrance and surrounding area making a great first impression. The theme music works well, and whilst not being fantastic in terms of the musical ideas used, it fits the ride perfectly.

The overall theme of the ride is absolutely fantastic, it's exactly the style of theming Alton Towers should be going for IMO and the first time in years that they have perfected a "complete" theme. I'd say the queueline is the best in the UK with all the unique views of the ride and combined with some really nice theming throughout. The pre-show and station are also stunning and further add to the overall experience of the ride, the attention to detail throughout is superb.

Onto the coaster itself, it's just so much fun! Whilst not an airtime machine, it makes up for this with the low-to-ground twisty nature and packs a punch. The tunnels make the first two drops hugely effective, and my favourite section of the ride is where it throws you from right to left and then into the ground-hugging turn - sheer brilliance. The dives through the Wicker Man structure are good fun, and the coaster runs with a decent level of intensity throughout.

Whilst the ride time isn't the best, I didn't feel short-changed as I do with, for example, The Swarm. I think the flat corner goes somewhere towards making the ride feel longer, as it gives you time to gather your senses before heading into the next section of the ride.

Finally, the shop is brilliant although I wasn't a fan of the linear route.

I honestly can't believe how good Wicker Man is, it's surprised me so much. Alton have finally hit the nail on the head with this one.

Weird thing I noticed today from today was a dripping oil pipe from under the lift hill. Not sure if the valve was supposed to be open but it was dripping on the track below.
Seems to be the chain oil sump.
fd36694d0a5ebc1d98c9165ef5373464.jpg

Maybe they only run the fire effect when there’s a certain amount of people on park like the Swarm fire effects. o_O

That's certainly not going to be the case this season.

One of the potential reasons for no fire at any given time is ride breakdowns. Whenever the ride goes down, the fire effects are automatically turned off (for safety reasons). Therefore when the ride is back up and running again, the fire effects need re-setting/turning back on. This required a member of staff from Ents to go to the effects control room by the Wicker Man theming object and flick a switch (or do something more fancy, I do not know).

So if the ride is breaking down a lot, there is a chance that the effects are not being reset consistently.

:)