• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

In theory the bag room is not as important on Wicker Man as it is on Smiler/Thirteen as the trains are longer so it doesn't need such quick dispatches. Wodan gets 1200+ without one, and at the moment the WM team are able to check the train well before the ride is ready to dispatch it, assuming all the restraints register as locked.

Just a quick question. Was the original sw8 plan in forbidden valley to have the wicker man theme or was it a completely different coaster and theme?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Just a quick question. Was the original sw8 plan in forbidden valley to have the wicker man theme or was it a completely different coaster and theme?

Completely different, I'm sure they came up with the theme after the decided where it was going.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Oh. It's just that I read somewhere it was 4 years in development and so thought it must have been conceived in 2014 before the smiler crash. so I was wondering if it had the same theme and similar coaster but just in forbidden valley. I'm also sure the original plans submitted in 2015 quoted sound tunnels and themed structure . I was just unsure how that theme would have fitted in forbidden valley.

I was having a great time today on wicker man.. back row right is the best place unti some idiot with a go pro starting filming hand held whilst as the ride was going. We managed to alert staff and security.

Was it completely hand held or did he have a Nintendo style wrist strap on?

I don't alert ride ops (unless it's Oblivion) if I see someone filming, but that's the dark nefarious side of me who thinks they deserve to loose a £350 GoPro or a £800 iPhone as punishment for doing it, I used to work building micro cams for sporting broadcasts so know there is more than one way to skin a cat, if you insist on filming a selfie on a ride, use a frakking wrist watch camera, they're not that expensive and can be bough from any good spy shop (Russian spy credentials not required).

I'll never forget a nameless celebrity on The Swarm who dropped their phone into the netting over the station and asked someone to retrieve it for them, you could hear the "do you know who I am?" argument from Stealth when they refused.

Sorry for going OT bosses, to stay on topic:

When you guys said GCI are smooth and this is a great coaster, what the heck was your reference, a cheese grater? Wickerman is rough as nails now, what's it going to feel like in 5 years?

Oh. It's just that I read somewhere it was 4 years in development and so thought it must have been conceived in 2014 before the smiler crash. so I was wondering if it had the same theme and similar coaster but just in forbidden valley. I'm also sure the original plans submitted in 2015 quoted sound tunnels and themed structure . I was just unsure how that theme would have fitted in forbidden valley.

According to Bradley Wynne's LinkedIn page, Wicker Man entered the planning stages in August 2015. So I'm presuming that the FV proposal was a different ride. It was apparently supposed to be themed to an IP of some sort, but don't quote me on that.

On a random note, do we think that WM would have happened if the incident hadn't have happened in June 2015? According to TowersTimes, the 2017 FV proposal was chucked out due to the costs of rock removal, but all indication that it was ever happening seemed to rapidly disappear from the rumour mill after the incident, so I'm not sure. Also, was it ever certain that the FV 2017 proposal was going to be an RMC, or was it just rumours? I reckon that the FV proposal was going to be a GCI woodie like this one, myself.

Rough as nails? You sure? How many woodies have you ridden? Try Grand National if you think Wicker Man is rough.

I did do Grand National a couple of years ago, yeah WM is smoother, but the way you guys went on about it made it sound like it was going to be a lot better.

I love the out of control feeling too, shoulda seen my wife's face, we conned her into going on by saying it was smoother than RMT, oh boy did we get it in the neck after, now that's your lots fault! LOL

I thought that Wicker Man was pretty smooth, even compared to quite a few steel coasters I've done! I personally thought that Wicker Man was even slightly smoother than Smiler! It was considerably smoother than Megafobia was when I rode that in July 2016, in my opinion!

No woody will ever ride like a B&M, but come on! A brand new GCI couldn't be "rough" if supported Millwall!

... And I say this as one of the rare breed of coaster geeks who thinks woodies are over-rated. ;)

But you haven't ridden it have you? Or have you? @DiogoJ42

I don't care, it's my wife that's livid she read the "it's a nice smooth woodie" and thought that meant smoother than RMT hahahaha! Although thinking about it, that statement could be taken five different ways lol.

But you haven't ridden it gave you? Or have you? @DiogoJ42
No, and it will probably be quite a while before I do ride it. I'm just basing my statement on informed knowledge of similar ride types.

For example, I first rode Wodan on the "Woodysoshe" meet, when it had been open less than a week. At the time, my experience with modern woodies was limited to Megaphobia, and I shamfully confused the natural rattle of wood for "slight roughness". It wasn't long before I realised how wrong that was. ;)

By the sound of it, this person who moaned that WM is "rough" has never ridden any wood. As has been said, they certainly haven't been to blackpool!

But anyway, yes I've not been on it personally yet. And as I said, I'll never get the whole "fapping over woodies" deal.... and as you all know, I would be the first person to find an excuse to moan about something Merlin / Towers do.
.... Yet I find it hard to believe a brand new GCI could be genuinely "rough". Pick your moaning battles!

No, and it will probably be quite a while before I do ride it. I'm just basing my statement on informed knowledge of similar ride types.

For example, I first rode Wodan on the "Woodysoshe" meet, when it had been open less than a week. At the time, my experience with modern woodies was limited to Megaphobia, and I shamfully confused the natural rattle of wood for "slight roughness". It wasn't long before I realised how wrong that was. ;)

By the sound of it, this person who moaned that WM is "rough" has never ridden any wood. As has been said, they certainly haven't been to blackpool!

But anyway, yes I've not been on it personally yet. And as I said, I'll never get the whole "fapping over woodies" deal.... and as you all know, I would be the first person to find an excuse to moan about something Merlin / Towers do.
.... Yet I find it hard to believe a brand new GCI could be genuinely "rough". Pick your moaning battles!

That was me that said it was rough as nails, probably an overstatement since I can't write what the wife really said because the forum will censor it, and yes I've been on all the woodies in the UK.

My observation was based on the general opinion that GCI were some kind of woodie Rollercoaster God when it came to woodies, when to me in reality it didn't feel much different to one of Blackpool's old things, a little smoother yes, but not the Spinball to Nemesis comparison I got the impression it was going to be.

.... Yet I find it hard to believe a brand new GCI could be genuinely "rough". Pick your moaning battles

Yeah I'm sure a lot are saying the same about its reliability, which is worse than Vampire presently lol.