• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

It's hardly surprising, though, is it? Sometimes it feels like a broken record playing out in Merlin.

MMM hand over a presentable, full working ride with effects and then AT preside over a complete collapse in quality and presentation. Like I have raised above, this is the same case with The Smiler. It looks like a cess pit now with more effects not working than that do.

For anyone raising that these issues, such as the fire not working or the lapbar issues aren't the fault of AT: they may well not be, but that is no concern of the paying customer. Whoever's fault it is, is irrelevant.

:'(

Interestingly, on Saturday, when boarding the train the ride ops were shouting "DO NOT TOUCH YOUR LAP BARS", and they cam past us pulling the down into place for us.

With regards the fire, no idea why its off though to be honest it didnt impact much on the enjoyment of the ride. Was a shame to see the small indoor section as you exit the station devoid of any smoke however. Looks like it was built to house "something" but this "something" was never put in there!

Interestingly, on Saturday, when boarding the train the ride ops were shouting "DO NOT TOUCH YOUR LAP BARS", and they cam past us pulling the down into place for us.

With regards the fire, no idea why its off though to be honest it didnt impact much on the enjoyment of the ride. Was a shame to see the small indoor section as you exit the station devoid of any smoke however. Looks like it was built to house "something" but this "something" was never put in there!
It seems if you are pulling down putting tension on the lap bar when they eventually release them ready to go down it will cause yours to be called out for a recheck

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

How is Wicker Man still having issues like this? They deliberately go to manufactures with good past track records yet somehow things still break a lot? Are Merlin cursed or something?

It's hardly surprising, though, is it? Sometimes it feels like a broken record playing out in Merlin.

MMM hand over a presentable, full working ride with effects and then AT preside over a complete collapse in quality and presentation. Like I have raised above, this is the same case with The Smiler. It looks like a cess pit now with more effects not working than that do.

For anyone raising that these issues, such as the fire not working or the lapbar issues aren't the fault of AT: they may well not be, but that is no concern of the paying customer. Whoever's fault it is, is irrelevant.

:'(

You assume MMM provides a product with quality components......

How is Wicker Man still having issues like this? They deliberately go to manufactures with good past track records yet somehow things still break a lot? Are Merlin cursed or something?

You could use the top tier customer in the entire world for anything, but if you're stingy on certain aspects of the project (let's say for example, sensors) then it'll still potentially have issues...

Wonder if anyone thought to contact Europa to see how they did 3 train lapbar only operation, or they just thought "nah we're Merlin and we know better!"

Wonder if anyone thought to contact Europa to see how they did 3 train lapbar only operation, or they just thought "nah we're Merlin and we know better!"

I'm pretty sure that EP modified some of Wodan's systems themselves; no chance of Towers even considering that post-Smiler! I also believe the restraint system on Wicker Man is different to on any other GCI.

:)

I'm pretty sure that EP modified some of Wodan's systems themselves; no chance of Towers even considering that post-Smiler! I also believe the restraint system on Wicker Man is different to on any other GCI.

I think post smiler they would take the long route with any modifications ideas.
Handing the idea to the coaster manufacturer for deal with the virtual testing, manufacture and physical testing. So it becomes a manufacturer issued part.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I'm unsure on the specifics but something to do with the sensors I think.

As far as I'm aware it's the first GCI to have a lapbar monitoring system, all other GCIs bar Wodan have seatbelts so there's no reason to monitor that the lapbars are closed, just that they are locked.

I have no idea how Wodan's system works, no doubt it's been modded by Mack, which obviously Towers would never do themsleves.

I have no idea how Wodan's system works, no doubt it's been modded by Mack, which obviously Towers would never do themsleves.
A consideration is Mack are in the business of designing and manufacturing rides. They have the experience to make any modifications safely like they do with their own rides (risk assessments, fault-tree analyses, liability risks etc). Merlin and Alton Towers are simply operators, and (quite rightly) should not attempt to modify anything provided for safety.

They have modified Rita, and likewise I believe Thorpe have done the same to Stealth, so they are more than capable to change things on WM if they like