• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

^That Diamondback thing suuucks, why would you install seat belts on an airtime machine!? Defeats the whole point.

In terms of the UK, Icon has lap bars and no seat belts.

I don’t think the restraint system is only freaking out over guest size, it’s curious when the restraint fails they have to open it completely and reclose it, instead of just pushing the restraint further down as you would on other coasters. Looks suspiciously like the sensors are failing and not detecting the restraint passing the safe locking point so needing to take the thing back up to open position and closing it again.
I noticed there is a proximity sensor which looks like it will detect when the lapbar is down enough. Perhaps the control system is expecting the lapbar to be opened and closed before each dispatch to prove the sensor is functioning correctly. If so then it could explain the problem... maybe occasionally guests are disembarking but the lapbar is not raised enough (sensor still thinks lapbar is down). The next guest gets on, lowers their lapbar but the control system won't allow it because it didn't 'see' the lapbar in the raised position?

I noticed there is a proximity sensor which looks like it will detect when the lapbar is down enough. Perhaps the control system is expecting the lapbar to be opened and closed before each dispatch to prove the sensor is functioning correctly. If so then it could explain the problem... maybe occasionally guests are disembarking but the lapbar is not raised enough (sensor still thinks lapbar is down). The next guest gets on, lowers their lapbar but the control system won't allow it because it didn't 'see' the lapbar in the raised position?
Staff go along the train pushing the lap bars up fully before the next guests board.

EDIT: And Wicker Man is unavailable again!

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed the Smiler face in the Wicker a man queue?
2e4793e92651f680ba7852370f9ff9f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've ridden Wicker Man four times now, and 3 of those 4, have been on rows 4/5. Each and every time when in rows 4/5, on the right hand side, my restraint has been called out by the Op for recheck. The hosts (both of them, one on each side of the platform) come down with the yellow metal bar, and pulled something under the train to release the lap bar.

To point out, I was NOT pushing on the restraint, I was NOT close to the restraint, and it had PLENTY of room to come down. Far from pushing the limits of the seat. I suspect sensors are to blame.

I've been to the park on 6 occasions so far this season, and have noticed a trend towards the end of the day with the operations on Wicker Man. I was wondering if anybody with knowledge of park operations could shed any light.

So, every time I've been around half an hour before ride close operations seem to start running pretty slow. Trains don't come out as frequently, and on numerous occasions empty trains are sent out. Is this a deliberate tactic by AT to reduce the potential queue length once rides close?

Today we joined a 30 min Wicker Man queue at 3:05, only to get on the ride at 4:05 meaning no re-ride before park close. At no stage was the ride declared unavailable, however the queue time did rise to 40 mins. I wasn't particularly bothered, however a number of people in the queue were very frustrated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To point out, I was NOT pushing on the restraint, I was NOT close to the restraint, and it had PLENTY of room to come down. Far from pushing the limits of the seat. I suspect sensors are to blame.
You were sat in the seat with the restraint in the vertical position? Or, you were in the seat with the lap bar down, but not down far enough so it was in contact with you in order for you to get more air?

Going towers tomorrow. Can't wait get back on this beaut. Crowds look low today and are expected to be even lower tomorrow with some schools not back in till tomorrow. Loads of re rides hopefully.
Me too. High winds tomorrow though, hope this won't affect the Wicker Man.

Me too. High winds tomorrow though, hope this won't affect the Wicker Man.

21-22mph winds shouldn't effect it I wouldn't have thought. Might feel a little chilly though so worth wrapping up.

I'm personally hoping the weather could put some off. I'd love a good 3-4 rides on it tomorrow if possible as I only got the one ride in on opening day. Then I will truly know where it sits on my list (geek alert)

21-22mph winds shouldn't effect it I wouldn't have thought. Might feel a little chilly though so worth wrapping up.

I'm personally hoping the weather could put some off. I'd love a good 3-4 rides on it tomorrow if possible as I only got the one ride in on opening day. Then I will truly know where it sits on my list (geek alert)
It's the predicted gusts that bother me, over thirty mph, that would cause the Smiler and Obivion to be close to not operating, the rest should stay open i hope

Managed another 4 rides on it today including the front row. Such a fun ride! Keeps its pace throughout.

Queues weren't too bad, barring park opening and just before closing it was usually between 30 to 50 minutes.

It's the predicted gusts that bother me, over thirty mph, that would cause the Smiler and Obivion to be close to not operating, the rest should stay open i hope

I won't be riding either this visit anyway I don't think as I had 2 rides on both 4 weeks ago. Hopefully the wind isn't as strong as they say it might be. If it is then it Duel and Hex all day.....hahahaha

30 to 50 minutes on a day when the park was extremely quiet. Still not ideal.

I believe it was quiet but i'm sure a lot of schools were closed today for teacher training. Tomorrow is the first day when 99% of kids are all back in so it should be quieter still. Plus the weather looks worse than today too.

I'm hoping for no longer than 30mins tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't be riding either this visit anyway I don't think as I had 2 rides on both 4 weeks ago. Hopefully the wind isn't as strong as they say it might be. If it is then it Duel and Hex all day.....hahahaha
That's my back up plan, Duel and Hex all day.