• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

X-Sector Developments (Including Oblivion)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
We can wish they were removing it! I'd imagine they are merely cleaning it!

Blivvy is looking great though! ;D

:)

rightbackgranty said:
there are a couple of people working on top of the old refresh building. Looking at removing that awful Fanta sign? One can only hope!

Yes, But knowing merlin, they are probably replacing it with a advert for the burger kitchen or even worse Fastrack. :D

As far as im aware, ever since the ride opened back in 1998 it has always had an advert on the roof, it was Coke for years and then Coke Zero, then more recently Fanta. No one else seemed to have a problem with it until Fanta came along last year.

I think they will just be cleaning it as it was looking a right state last year and was covered in puddles, or replacing it with another Coke type advert.

djtruefitt said:
As far as im aware, ever since the ride opened back in 1998 it has always had an advert on the roof, it was Coke for years and then Coke Zero, then more recently Fanta. No one else seemed to have a problem with it until Fanta came along last year.

I think they will just be cleaning it as it was looking a right state last year and was covered in puddles, or replacing it with another Coke type advert.

To be honest the Fanta thing on the roof doesn't look too bad, they just need to get rid of the other posters and paint the pipes black again.

I have always find it concerning that the Rehydrator is used as a massive advert. The view from the top is amazing, but your attention is momentarily distracted as you read "Coca-Cola!" in front of you.

I always thought it was the perfect place to put "Don't Look Down!" because it's right in your line of view and you can only see it from the top of Oblivion. It would be a surprise when you got up there to see the big message on the roof, rather than having it written on the floor of the drop zone where you have already seen and read it from the ground.

I hope they are drastically changing Rehyrdrator's appearance. That would be the figurative icing on this big new sinister X Sector cake.

Though we shouldn't take the details in the game literally, the pipes on the Rehydrator are black again with two orange rings around each. A sign? :p

electricBlll said:
I have always find it concerning that the Rehydrator is used as a massive advert. The view from the top is amazing, but your attention is momentarily distracted as you read "Coca-Cola!" in front of you.

I always thought it was the perfect place to put "Don't Look Down!" because it's right in your line of view and you can only see it from the top of Oblivion. It would be a surprise when you got up there to see the big message on the roof, rather than having it written on the floor of the drop zone where you have already seen and read it from the ground.

I hope they are drastically changing Rehyrdrator's appearance. That would be the figurative icing on this big new sinister X Sector cake.

Yep. We tend to regard Oblivion an X-Sector as a high watermark for the park in terms of theming and 'magic' but it was one of the only times that AT built external brands so deeply into the design of the ride - with the coke advertising literally cast in concrete on the ride. Thankfully, we've not seen that sort of thing with recent attractions.

electricBlll said:
I always thought it was the perfect place to put "Don't Look Down!" because it's right in your line of view and you can only see it from the top of Oblivion.

Breaking news

The new message for the roof "Don't scream" in big letter and "the neighbours complain" in smaller writing under it :D

It would be amazing if they got rid of the Fanta logo and put a picture of 'Mr Smiley' on there. Given SW7's significance this year I think that would be one of the most fitting things to put on top of there. :)

James said:
It would be amazing if they got rid of the Fanta logo and put a picture of 'Mr Smiley' on there. Given SW7's significance this year I think that would be one of the most fitting things to put on top of there. :)

Personally I disagree with sticking The Smiler logo on Rehydrator simply because that sort of belongs to Oblivon and not The Smiler. If anything it should be the words Oblivon or the Oblivon logo.

Alton Towers just released this new concept art to demonstrate what Oblivion will look like after the Ministry of Joy update.

JokeXSector4_zps08808e3e.jpg

JokeXSector1_zps62c0e8da.jpg

JokeXSector5_zps76a3620d.jpg

JokeXSector3_zpsa531f8e8.jpg

JokeXSector2_zps30096361.jpg

[Just adding some humour to a heated discussion, these pictures are entirely in jest! If you don't get the joke, try reading the recent posts in the Smiler discussion topic.]

electricBlll said:
Alton Towers just released this new concept art to demonstrate what Oblivion will look like after the Ministry of Joy update.

Mate, I properly belly laughed at that ;D

Brilliant, just brilliant - how long did that take? On a par with Diogo's WWII risk post that one for me.

Even more disturbing is the fact I like it hahahaha.

CRT museum hahahaha.

I'd thank that a million times if I could.

TheMan said:
Brilliant, just brilliant - how long did that take?
Not too long! I guess I'm spontaneous!

Just poking fun at both sides of the argument (including me), but in reality I have faith in what they are doing with X Sector this year, it won't end up like that. At least... I truly hope not! :eek:

TheMan said:
I just don't like them messing with it, though the repaint and everything is welcome. I guess I am a bit over protective of Oblivion lol! It is just such an absolutely brilliant ride - and probably one of the last times B&M built a properly outright scary machine.

Up until that point, B&M built a machine and you thought "Intense, intimidating, pushing the envelope" where as now they are more known for largely force less, if not pretty and super smooth and reliable.

They kinda went from being Bentley to Volvo.
I agree, this is one reason I like Thorpe's Intamin coasters, as you can feel the forces.Oblivion really did need a repaint though, it was starting to look really more white and green than black/grey.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.