• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

X-Sector Developments (Including Oblivion)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
From TS News:

Closed Season Ride Maintenance Update

With the closed season now well under way it’s that time of the year when the park performs maintenance on many of its rides, in preparation for next year. Here we take a look at what has been happening around the park over the last few weeks.

Submission
Rumours were recently circulating to suggest that Enterprise, one of the flat rides located in the X-Sector area of the park, was due to receive essential maintenance and a major overhaul, presumably to prolong the life of the attraction. TowersStreet sources previously confirmed these rumours, and now also informed us that Submission, X-Sectors other flat ride, is joining Enterprise as part of this program of maintenance.

Submission first opened in 2001, produced by Chance Rides. The attraction originally used two arms on either side to invert riders and flip them head over heels. In recent years though the ride has suffered from various problems, resulting in only one side of the ride running at once, while the second lies dormant. There have been many theories over the years as to why this is, though it is believed to be down to wear and ageing of the ride.

However, TowersStreet sources have now confirmed that the ride is currently undergoing an extensive restoration operation, with the intention of having both arms running in unison once more for the 2013 season When the park is busy. Assuming the work is successful this will mean that Submissions throughput shall increase significantly, hopefully resulting in shorter queues for riders.

In 2013 Alton Towers shall open its new roller coaster, Secret Weapon 7, in X-Sector which is expected to bring many more guests to the area. In order to ensure that the new ride is able to cope with demand it is therefore important that the other attractions in the area are able to handle more guests than usual. This move by the park to improve the older attractions looks set to have a positive impact on the area, both aesthetically and in terms of operation.

[...]

So, Submission looks as though it could be running with both arms for 2013!

So what people have been hoping for regarding Submission is actually happening. Excellent news! Doesn't necessarily mean I'll be any more likely to go on it, mind. :p

Even though I will never ride it. Visually it will look brilliant with both arms, especially next Scarefest!

The ride looks amazing running with both arms and it's great seeing towers actually focussing upon the whole x-sector area and getting both subs and ents back to original working order.

Obviously this would probably only be on busy days, when Submission has a big enough queue to justify 2 arms.

Although this is great news, would you rather have Oblivion cleaned and repaired, including a repaint?
Yes it will be visually stunning, but will it have the amount of riders to back up the 'make-over'?

Oh well... At least X Sector will look good in 2013 and it shows Merlin do care for their parks...

Thought this may well be happening, great to have it confirmed as such! I've never seen it running with two arms so looking forward to hopefully seeing that next season. Saying that, I rarely see Submission with a substantial queue these days, it only seems to gain a real queue on days where the park is very busy.

:)

It's nice to know that Enterprise and Submission are being fixed up, but I can't help thinking that it's pointless if the most striking ride in the area is still looking rather lackluster compared to the rest of X-Sector...

From the TT update, does it look like Oblivion is starting to get repainted?

Look at the brake run and the top of the drop where the holding brake is; they are certainly darker!

Longy said:

Look at the brake run and the top of the drop where the holding brake is; they are certainly darker!

I highly doubt they're doing anything with it for now, it'd be way too much work in too tight a space at too much cost!

Longy said:

It's actually the fencing next to the catwalk and not actually the catwalk itself.

Blivvy looks very very pale from the TT photos to be honest... The best we can hope for is that it maybe gets attention in the next closed season - as it will look silly next to the shiny black of SW7.

Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

From TS News:

TowersStreet are of the belief that recent employee newsletters at the Alton Towers Resort have revealed extremely exciting developments set to begin very shortly in X Sector, alongside the opening of the resort's new rollercoaster - SW7.

In the next few days, a full track repaint will begin on Oblivion, something which many members of the enthusiast community have been longing for for a good few years; the task of painting the ride will be a 6 week job. It is believed the track will be painted the same colour as SW7, in order for both rides to complement each other, and that a higher quality paint will be used in order to give the colour more durability. In addition, other elements of the ride including the shuttles, harnesses, and buildings – all of which are in need of some attention – are thought to being improved over the closed season.

On top of this, it is believed that plans are in the process of being confirmed for a spruce-up of the general X Sector area, in order to make it look impressive as the home of a new attraction. The area's dated toilet blocks, over which SW7 will pass, are thought to be marked for a revamp.

The other significant piece of news which TowersStreet are delighted to announce is that the Resort's popular new scare maze, The Sanctuary, will be returning for the start of the 2013 season. Believed to have a plot strongly linked to SW7's, the attractions should work well side-by-side, as well as the maze acting as a promotion for the ride in the event of its delayed opening. It is currently unknown for how many weeks the maze will run.

TowersStreet are extremely excited at this news, and look forward to bringing you the latest updates on our dedicated SW7 minisite. Meanwhile, discuss these developments over on our lively TowersStreet Talk forums!

:D :D :D

Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Nice scoop on the news guys!

Very happy to hear all of this is happening. I never thought in a million years they would go not only as far as painting Oblivions track, but redoing the area and possibly revamping the toilets. Brilliant news! The area will look fantastic in 2013. :D

The news of the maze opening for a bit is no surprise. I thought it was quite clear when it was known a few months back that everything was still set up in there that they would use the space in 2013 in one way or another to link in with SW7.

I just hope the maze doesn't stay for too long though and is just used as an initial side attraction to advertise SW7. The ruins are lovely to walk around so hopefully they won't have it all closed off for too long!

YES!!! THANK GOD!!

Finally, Merlin do something that involves unnecessary spending of money to please the fans only. This is the best AT related news I've heard in a year, and is literally the most unexpected decision I've ever seen by Merlin.

I would like to believe this will end the M£rlin jokes, but that would be a lie.

And, to reiterate, YES!!!

About 5 years too late, but this is excellent news.

So we can hope to see the bits on Rita where the Ug Land theming has come through repainted by 2030! :D

Wow I'm actually shocked, I fully expected any area update to be off after the SW7 delay. This is really fantastic news, I can't wait to see Blivvy re-painted! Though please Alton Towers, if you are also painting all of the supports, make sure you paint the support detailings back on (I don't know what else to call them, but where they have the logo and a number)!!

Hopefully Blivvy's station will be looking much better next year, as it has been somewhat of a wreck recently with parts peeling or falling off.

I think a lot of credit needs to go to Merlin here for providing the funding for this. SW7 is almost certainly going to go over budget with the delay (paying workers for longer for a start), so it would be very easy to cut any sort of work on X-Sector and just spent all of the money on SW7. But it looks like Merlin may have provided extra funding for this extra work and that is great as we all know Merlin aren't overly keen on investments that don't directly provide a monetary return. Credit where credit is due.

As for The Sanctuary opening, this doesn't surprise me at all. I just hope it's not open for too long as I won't be happy if the Towers are inaccessible for a long period of time. I and many others love walking around the Towers. I'm sure English Heritage wouldn't want them closed for a long period either.

All in all though, excellent! ;D

:)

Brilliant news! I think we all knew that a repaint could happen, but whether or not Merlin would actually think about doing one was highly questioned. Be brilliant to see it a darker shade of grey again, and the general spruce up will make the area gleam like it did at the start of the century.

I do wonder if an alternative area will be used for the sanctuary? There was a scare maze in the football penalty strike building was there not? They could possibly utilise that - though It would not be as atmospheric as the Towers themselves, it could provide a solution to blocking off the Towers for too long.

One thing is for sure - they have an awful lot to do in the next 3 months! Hopefully this repaint will get going along side the work on SW7.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.