• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Worst Coasters

It totally depends on your point of view and one thing that really does irritate me about this forum is that people seem unable to accept that not everyone agrees with the general consensus with rides like Baco.

Yes on the whole most people on this forum don't like it but it doesn't mean that everyone has to agree and that people who enjoy the ride are wrong. I personally love this ride and find it very intense. However I can't deny that I've been enjoying it a lot less lately mainly because the new process of loading trains with seats closed off is a total fiasco and needs attention quickly. Certain seats can be too rough for SOME people. I imagine that the main reason that those seats have been closed off is because a small minority of people complained and possibly made compensation claims regarding the vibrations so PA have to be seen to be doing something about it.

Let's not forget that this ride is popular with the public despite enthusiasts not liking it. I often see people repeatedly re-riding at quiet periods and all of the non enthusiasts who I've ridden with say that they love the ride. It's also one of PA's most popular coasters.

Just because the regulars on TST don't like it doesn't mean that everyone has to dislike it. Most of the public and a lot of other enthusiasts don't share this view.

I do not like The Ultimate but at least that is a coaster that I can see why some do really like it. With Baco I see no reason why anyone would like it. By definition it is a bad coaster - it's rough, shakes you to death, has a boring layout, is relatively short (thank god), and has awful operations.

There are positives about Baco, in fact I like everything about Baco bar the actual ride. The station is lovely, the queue is lovely, it even looks nice over the lake. The launch isn't too shabby either. But as a coaster it is bad. It doesn't mean that you cannot enjoy it, but I refuse to accept that it could ever be classed as a good coaster.

:)

Is bacon rough because your he's hits the restraints or because of vibrations and generally being uncomfortable?

Most rides vibrate along only one axis at a time. Baco somehow manages to simultaniously vibrate in not only the three physical dimentions, but also in the fourth (time). I am convinced this is why it messes you up so much: your body is beaten in to dimensions beyond what the human brain can comprehend!

People like it because of its speed and intensity. I favour it over pretty much every other launch coaster I've ridden.

It used to be my favourite coaster overall too but I do have to admit that I've recently lost a bit of love for it.

Before anyone says anything, me liking it less has nothing to do with me riding more coasters in recent years. I strongly disagree with people who are of the opinion that the only people who like Baco are people who've not been on many coasters, I think that's utter nonsense.

I don't agree with this. When it first opened it wasn't rough at all, it's also not at all rough on the front row inside seats where there are very few vibrations, it still feels intense. I admit it isn't a perfect layout but I find it more intense than many other launch coasters I've ridden.

Anyway, my 10 (in no particular order of badness):

Baco, Shock Wave (Brean), any Volare, Sequoia, Hurler, Goudurix, Temple of the Night Hawk, Mean Streak, Cagliostro and pretty much any US Wild Mouse

Obviously kiddy coasters are excluded or it would just be 9 big apples and Baco. Most dull coasters also get a let off, unless they're so spectacularly dull that they become offensive.

Cagliostro and Temple of the Nighthawk are indeed appalling. It's amazes me that coasters built in black boxes are still a regular feature at a lot of parks.

I quite liked it last year tbh. Then again I will be riding Colorado Adventure this year which will know doubt make it redundant. ;)

Colorado Adventure is a pretty wild ride but El Diablo's layout is just pointless, apparently it was reduced from the original plans.

Tornado at M&D's is by far the worst coaster I've been on. It's so savagely rough, it's hard to believe they're allowed to open it to the public.

Surprisingly enough, it starts off alright. The drop and double loop are relatively smooth. But then you enter a horrific section of track. It's perfectly straight but it somehow manages to ricochet your head between the restraints repeatedly like a ping pong ball. The rest of the ride is spent being violently whacked in the left side of the head at regular intervals. When the train finally hits the brake run, all you can hear are groans of discomfort from the other riders. It's the only coaster I've ever been on that has caused me lasting pain.

It's a ride that has absolutely no redeeming qualities. It's poorly engineered, poorly maintained, low capacity, ugly, uncomfortable, unbelievably rough, has bad restraints and train technology loosely based on a shopping trolley. You may think that you want to ride it out of morbid curiosity but believe me, you don't.

Tornado at M&D's is by far the worst coaster I've been on. It's so savagely rough, it's hard to believe they're allowed to open it to the public.

Surprisingly enough, it starts off alright. The drop and double loop are relatively smooth. But then you enter a horrific section of track. It's perfectly straight but it somehow manages to ricochet your head between the restraints repeatedly like a ping pong ball. The rest of the ride is spent being violently whacked in the left side of the head at regular intervals. When the train finally hits the brake run, all you can hear are groans of discomfort from the other riders. It's the only coaster I've ever been on that has caused me lasting pain.

It's a ride that has absolutely no redeeming qualities. It's poorly engineered, poorly maintained, low capacity, ugly, uncomfortable, unbelievably rough, has bad restraints and train technology loosely based on a shopping trolley. You may think that you want to ride it out of morbid curiosity but believe me, you don't.

You took all the words out of my mouth! Given the tough health and safety regulations in this country, it is nothing sort of a miracle that it is still open, never mind that it has never suffered (as far as I can remember) a crash. It is such a paradox that much more heavily invested Smiler should crash and this doesn't, what is going on?!

I just watched a video of Tornado.

The brakes remind me of this:
(Warning, if you keep watching, it gets a bit...graphic)

From 1.24

Definitely testing Tornado's brake run.

I rode Python at Busch Gardens Tampa in 2006 and remember it being a horrible, horrible ride. It closed permanently later on that year.

I have never really liked Saw at Thorpe Park as I can deal with roughness (big fan of Colossus) however I find the jolts on Saw to be unbearable.

Just going back to the first page of the Universal theming compared to Merlin; I'm not sure that's quite fair given how much that project cost. Stealth is themed, it's just very simple.

Reactions: Ted
Right, here goes (as with others, not counting kiddy coasters).

In no particular order:
  • Dizz - Bobbejaanland: So it's an Maurer Spinner. Normally at least a half decent ride, and probably one of the better spinning models on the market. Outwardly, if you take a look at this ride, you're expecting something ok, but not on the levels of say Winjas or Dragon's Fury. The coaster has clearly evolved a little, with a more robust looking track, no more ridiculous swaying and wobbling whenever a car moves around, and slightly revised lapbars, which are a little more comfortable than the normal ones. However, it's all in vain. The first drop is... ok. Actually, it's quite fun. Then you hit that first MCBR and practically come to a halt. After that it's one of the dullest, most uninspiring coasters out there.
  • Vampire - Chessington: Yup, wholly expecting some hate for this one! However, I find it a really unpleasant and uncomfortable ride. The poor train design offers no back support whatsoever if you're on the taller side. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if it wasn't for that awful back and forth shuffling it motion it has. I've found the same sensation on Dream Catcher at Bobbe. It means that your back is constantly banging against the hard, plastic seat. I've found many a bruise at the hands of this ride! It's also far from forgiving on the ears when you bash them against those OTSRs!
  • Temple of the Nighthawk - Phantasialand: Ok, so in terms of comfort I have nothing at all against this ride. It's pretty inoffensive. However, it's so incredibly boring in its current form! The ride is drawn out beyond belief, to the point that when you hit that third lift you've already managed to have a decent nap! It's annoying because with the right application you could make something quite interesting of this. It's never going to set the World ablaze, but it could be a lot more than it is.
  • Practically any stock wild mouse (Inc. Rattlesnake, Speedy Bob, etc.): These rides do absolutely nothing for me. Like the above, they are pretty harmless, but I get no real joy or buzz from riding them. Wild Maus XXL on the other hand... I've never feared for my life so much!
If we're chucking kiddy coasters into the mix then Flamingoland's Runaway Train and Zooom come in dead last for me. Two truly appalling coasters!

For me, having admittedly not ridden many I have to say it's a tie between Colossus and air.

Both purely from a personal enjoyment perspective.

The frankly hideous roughness of Colossus and the inlines at the end I hate (if it was a bit smoother, especially at the back! and didn't have those, I'd actually love it) and air, just because I find it incredibly uncomfortable and just don't enjoy it.