• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2012/3 Closed Season Updates (pictures inside!)

Looking at Battle Galleons pictures it looks such a mess to say what it was like when it first opened give the due that its in the lake I spose but what maintenance are they doing on the trough? Since it opened I don't think ive ever seen or heard them doing maintenance like that of opening the trough? Any ideas? Or is it just to shift the ''gunk'' out of there?

Zak said:
Looking at Battle Galleons pictures it looks such a mess to say what it was like when it first opened give the due that its in the lake I spose but what maintenance are they doing on the trough? Since it opened I don't think ive ever seen or heard them doing maintenance like that of opening the trough? Any ideas? Or is it just to shift the ''gunk'' out of there?

You mean the little door? I believe that opens so they can get the boats out easily, without lifting them high over the sides. I just hope they remember to close it before it opens next year... Else it may have a different layout unkowingly... :p

I think the empty the lake each year, It was empty when we did beach party last January. I guess its just to check all the parts, replace broken ones, remove bits of crap in the motors, etc.

Zak said:

Essentially no part of the trough goes near the edge of the lake so they open that part of the trough and use ropes to pull the boats to the edge of the lake so a cherry picker can lift them out.

Let's check out Towers in the snow!

71836_433244013412715_1292398938_n.jpg

424400_433244276746022_473167462_n.jpg

602771_433244290079354_293954761_n.jpg

555258_433244433412673_377238648_n.jpg

270881_433244480079335_1528610919_n.jpg

485952_433244490079334_1395673483_n.jpg

Fit.

Im not a energy geek or anything like that BUT... surly turning the vending machines off for closed season would save them a HECK of alot of money? I'd say the chances of anyone using the vending machines over closed season are very slim?

It does seem a bit daft - on a closed season meet a couple of years ago we used the ones at Extraordinary Golf only to find some of the products were out of date. We ended up exchanging them for fresh ones in one of the hotel shops. It would seem far more sensible to move the stock to the hotel shops and turn them off.

Also the Que Line boards, a few years back I remember these being on throughout the closed season? Surely again these could be turned off to save money? Silly little things like this could save the park some money!

I imagine the reason for these being left on is so they have an electrical current and have some heat going through them throughout the cold months. If they turned them off I would think they would have more problems as the cold and damp would get to the electrics.

John said:
It does seem a bit daft - on a closed season meet a couple of years ago we used the ones at Extraordinary Golf only to find some of the products were out of date. We ended up exchanging them for fresh ones in one of the hotel shops. It would seem far more sensible to move the stock to the hotel shops and turn them off.

I've had that happen to me twice. After a day at the park me and the missus use the vending machine there to get something to munch on the drive home - we must of used it about 5 times, and the last two times the food has been out of date. Once was in June and the other time was October. Seems to be a problem with that one as I guess it hardly get used. We decided to just get them from Towers Street now.

The Towers looks amazing in the snow!

Yeah most vending machines and other outdoor electronics get left on to prevent moisture, snow and ice build up on the equipment. It's the same as why we leave the jet wash on over night at work. We just turn the coin acceptor off so it cannot be used.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Also this is the first time I have ever seen Splash closed in all my years following the park! Has this always happened? I thought it was just normally the Water Park that closed. I can understand it though being out of season and using one hotel but can honestly say i've never heard or seen it closed before. Is this new?

Snorlix said:
Also this is the first time I have ever seen Splash closed in all my years following the park! Has this always happened? I thought it was just normally the Water Park that closed. I can understand it though being out of season and using one hotel but can honestly say i've never heard or seen it closed before. Is this new?

Splash Landings does usually close as well as the Waterpark for a month / few weeks every year, im not sure why it closes as well, I think its just because of guest numbers.

siralgenon said:
Snorlix said:

Splash Landings does usually close as well as the Waterpark for a month / few weeks every year, im not sure why it closes as well, I think its just because of guest numbers.

I believe they do quite a lot of maintenance to the water park during January, so decide to close the hotel too as January is usually it's quietest month.

Why keep a water park hotel open when the water park itself is closed? :)

There's also no point having both hotels open when there is only a handful of people staying at the resort, saves on a lot of costs if they just completely close one of them.

The whole resort seems very strange in the snow, when I was taking the photos you couldnt hear anything, just pure silence, very weird to what it's normally like. I imagine there was maybe a few people staying over if that, there was only a few cars in the car park. Also Splash landings was completly closed and locked, I looked in the window and all the lights were out!

As for wasting electricity, all the vending machines were turned on (including the ones inside the car park monorail station! As well as the queue time boards!

Ill be uploading some more photos eiher tonight or tomorrow to show some more areas of the resort in the snow!

As promised here are some more closed season photos of the resort in the snow.

Starting off with the monorail:
304149_433649033372213_252943922_n.jpg

A look inside the monorail station, with the car park barriers:
408277_433649063372210_166870522_n.jpg

Over at the Alton Towers Hotel it seems there has been some kind of event happening in the garden:
64263_433649130038870_1082535912_n.jpg

The centrepiece of the hotel is getting a well needed clean and paint!
251899_433649190038864_93165418_n.jpg

A closer look:
150601_433649203372196_1994413908_n.jpg

Not a job for those who don't like heights!
543816_433649220038861_1901615963_n.jpg

Finally inside the hotel this new sign has appeared near the reception desk, which suggests there is a new Sir Algenon show for 2013.
(P.S Can you spot which TowersStreet team member took this?)
734743_433649056705544_2096803090_n.jpg