• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2012: Wodan

In just two days, Europa-Park will officially launch their 5th resort hotel - Bell Rock - to the public! I can't wait to see what they do for the inauguration.

375628_327207604034154_1552879992_n.jpg

And, I thought it would be nice to share some jolly nice photo's from Europa-Park which I have found on a trip report from the weekend just gone:

Got to love the accuracy:
file.php

The other operator in the control booth for the Bob:
file.php

A beautiful scene over the Bamboo Bay stage, with Piraten in Batavia:
file.php

Tucking in with the Medici family, in Geisterschloss:
file.php

In England with London Bus:
file.php

The gates to the Enchanted Forest:
file.php

Did someone say Magical Book expert needed?
file.php

The intimate 3D theatre, Brothers Grimm Library. Dare I say sumptuous?
file.php

The Panorama Railway and Fjord Rafting:
file.php

Hotel Colosseo:
file.php

Mini Monorail, Wodan station and some Whale Adventure buildings:
file.php

Joan of Arc, France:
file.php

It's the circus ride... 4 in a car?
file.php

All images from EP-Board's Christoph.

:)

Zwei Millionen Sterne (Two Million Stars) is the 2012 promotional song for Europa-Park, replacing Dein Momente (Your Moment) which has been in use since 2007/2008.

You can hear the track on Soundcloud here or on Spotify here. It is also available as a download from most major music stores. Please note the Radio Edit version does not contain the "Europa-Park" lyric.

And here is a full translation of the lyrics:

Two million stars ...
ooh, ahh
More than two million stars ...
ooh, ahh

Every dream
begins with a magic formula;
quietly and secretly she penetrates in your ear:
"Do it, the magic door!"

Something
magically draws you into the other world;
Suddenly everything around you is bright and clear;
and finally you are there!

Chorus:
More than two million stars
shine your way to happiness;
Come and fly off into the distance,
Never again do you want back
Cross vast oceans deep
and the highest mountain that's there;
you are so very strong,
so, now is your dream come true
Europa-Park

Arise,
thousand wonders waiting for you here,
Wonders that can be astonished like a child,
because they really are now

Feel free to
when you hover over magical worlds,
weightless and light as a feather, through space and time
to infinity

Chorus:
More than two million stars ... (See above)

Bridge:
All your dreams
giddy are around you;
catch and they come true
let the reality be around you ...

I've been looking for this all day after EP Fans posted about it in conjunction with their recent article about visiting Bell Rock, ERT Wodan and Blue Fire et al. It's very catchy, very different and arguably more toned down than Dein Moment. It'll take a while to get used to! :p

Im waiting (rather impatiently) for lots and lots of Bell Rock photos - if/when I make the TST pilgrimage to Europa it is so my 100% hotel. Everything about it looks amazing.

Happy Birthday! Today before 37 years, EP opened its gates for the first time. :) And today was the first time that I saw a tv advert in the German tv:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvbvIW3BArM[/youtube]

Additionally Bell Rock is open now. Unfortunately there are no pix or reports online yet.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juovIhX1aOM&[/youtube]

Bell Rock opening gala featuring:
- Roger Moore
- New Bell Rock song
- Bell Rock model cake

177772_10150931753921440_1482889850_o.jpg

323928_10150931756666440_1191683151_o.jpg

469422_10150931759376440_2078653286_o.jpg

Source: Europa Park YouTube Channel, Facebook Page

I'm going to quote what I just put on Facebook when watching the video DragonMarty has linked:

Rowe said:
What the actual. WHAT. Roger Moore opened Hotel Bell Rock. The hotel I'm staying in a month and 3 days later has had its opening ribbon cut by Roger Moore. What an elaborate 37th birthday gift for Europa-Park.

*Watches video further* And a show there has a horse with WINGS.

This makes me so excited but Europa, please. What is going on?! :p

Just an absolutely incredible video, and it looked like an incredible experience. I would have loved to have been there in person. Europa's one-off entertainment is better than most park's permanent entertainment!

Noticed they also have the German finance minister and the American ambassador present. The equivalent would be George Osborne, Sean Connery and the Jamaican ambassador opening Splash Landings!

I think Roger Moore sums it up quite well:

"The whole complex is extraordinary. We went around this morning with Mr Mack and saw everything, it's just an extraordinary experience".

:D

Fantastic video. There's not a lot to say apart from the fact that it embarasses many other theme park operators.

Europa seem to have won an award for the best customer service at any theme park in Germany.

Poor translation from EP-Board:

Alcazar said:
Where service is very important: Europa-Park Service Champion 2012 Far more than four million visitors come every year in Germany's biggest theme park, 80% of whom are repeat visitors. In addition to constantly new attractions and shows guests the service quality is particularly important. And that is outstanding at Europa-Park, has now been confirmed for Germany's largest service ranking. The Service Value GmbH, the Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main and THE WORLD have the "Service Champions" is selected and the Europa-Park as the best amusement park excellent. Around 1 million customers judgments about 1,000 companies provide the basis for this judgment, in which current and former customers experienced Customer Service describe. But not only the theme park but also in the hotel resort at Europa-Park is the quality of service to a special place. On 12 July 2012 opened the fifth hotel now Bell Rock. Already many weeks before the opening of the staff was prepared in a variety of training on the tasks ahead. From the extensive knowledge of teas offered on how to deal with other cultures to background information about New England, the employees were trained to make the guests stay as pleasant as possible

file.php

Some rumors from an interview with Michael Mack and Christian von Elverfeldt (business leader MackRides): The interview is stored in 3 PDFs (maybe you can translate the whole text width Google, it is very intresting). But the most important part is this:

Christian von Elverfeldt said:
Im Bereich Wasseranlagen sind wir Marktführer. Aber nur dabei zu bleiben, wäre der falsche Weg gewesen. Wir müssen auf ganzer Linie innovativ bleiben und von den kleinen Rundfahrgeschäften über die großen Achterbahnen bis hin zu den Wasserfahrgeschäften alles anbieten. 2007 haben wir zum Beispiel erstmals eine interaktive Bootsfahrt im Europa-Park eröffnet. Das ist ein Exportschlager, besonders in heißen Ländern. Wir werden eine weitere Anlage für den Europa-Park bis 2014 bauen, die auch eine Innovation darstellen wird.

Christian von Elverfeldt said:
In the field of water attractions we are the marked leader. But only to stay with that would be the wrong way. We must stay innovative all along the line and have to offer everything from small flat rides, big roller coasters up to water attractions. In 2007 for example, we installed an interactive boat ride at Europa-Park (Whale Adventures). This attraction type is an export hit, especially in warmer countries. We will build another ride for Europa-Park until 2014, that will be an innovation too.

So another secret ride? Or only the enchanted forest ride, that is already known by the public? According to the text it could be some water ride. :)

The whole interview (German)
Part 1: http://www.insideb.de/upload/Files/054_055_IB_0712.pdf
Part 2: http://www.insideb.de/upload/Files/056_057_IB_0712.pdf
Part 3: http://www.insideb.de/upload/Files/058_059_IB_0712.pdf

Possibly a replacement log flume? Wildwasserbahn is a little bit rubbish.

Could I ask you a MASSIVE favour? If you have time, could you comb through that article and manually translate the key points into English? :)

;D I do much for nice men. ;D I have pimped up the (very bad) Google translation:

The Looping Tales
Michael Mack, associate of Mack Rides GmbH & Co. KG, and CEO Christian von Elverfeldt
"OK, then just built it!", said Europa-Park's managing director Roland Mack to Michael Mack and Christian von Elverfeldt. The roller coaster "Blue Fire" was born and was a milestone in the history of the family owned business from Waldkirch. In an interview with Iunia Mihu and Bjorn Lange revealed both of them, why it is allowed to be a bit rude and how Europa Park will look like in 2030.

Inside B: Mr. Mack, Mr. Elverfeldt, the summer Olympics in London are starting soon. For the winter games in Sochi in 2014 you are rebuilding the looping roller coaster "Blue Fire" there. Is Russia a new territory for Mack Rides?
Christian von Elverfeldt: Sochi will be our initial project in Russia and we hope for follow-up orders to open this market for us.
Michael Mack: There are amusement parks from the Soviet era, but they are still not modern. Such a modern park will now be built. "Blue Fire" will be the most beautiful and most modern ride in that country.

Inside B: What are the other emerging markets?
Christian von Elverfeldt: Clearly at the moment China. You have to be there. But we are a little bit afraid of China. The Chinese are trying to copy our attractions. But they still can not do it.

Inside B: In addition to Sochi - what projects are ongoing?
Christian von Elverfeldt: Lots. The existing parks must constantly improve to keep their attractiveness on a high level. Our clients are spread all over the world. America is very strong and even Europe. With Australia, I have just negotiated a water roller coaster for next year. And we recently delivered a ride to Sicily in the water park "Etnaland".

Inside B: At the official opening of the wooden roller coaster "Wodan" in Europa-Park, you said: Mack Rides is busy for the next two years. Is that true?
Christian von Elverfeldt: Of course I don't like to hear that. We are in great demand, that's true. We are already working on projects that are starting in 2014.

Inside B: There will be no short-time work at Mack Rides in the next two years?
Christian von Elverfeldt: Certainly not!

Inside B: Your Exports accounting for around 95 percent. The "Blue Fire" is one of your export hits and as is also an important chapter in the history of the company Mack Rides. With this you improved also in the field of coaster-track-technology. Previously, it was mostly water rides.
Christian von Elverfeldt: In the field of water attractions we are the marked leader. But only to stay with that would be the wrong way. We must stay innovative all along the line and have to offer everything from small flat rides, big roller coasters up to water attractions. In 2007 for example, we installed an interactive boat ride at Europa-Park (Whale Adventures). This attraction type is an export hit, especially in warmer countries. We will build another ride for Europa-Park until 2014, that will be an innovation too.

Inside B: Please tell me more of that.
Christian von Elverfeldt: I am not allowed to do that.

Inside B: So can you tell us, how the "Blue Fire" was developed? There are so beautiful creation stories.
Michael Mack: What stories do you know?

Inside B: The Christmas Story.
Christian von Elverfeldt: Yes, this really is a Christmas story. That was on Christmas 2007 in Waldkirch. Both partners were there, Roland Mack as well as Jürgen Mack. We all retired to a conference room and Michael Mack and I have pushed and pushed. Then they said: OK, then just built it! At the opening ceremony in 2009, Roland Mack said: To build "Blue Fire" with Mack Rides, was the biggest challenge in our business. Because if it had gone wrong we would not be able to sue our own company. But it did not go wrong. Michael Mack has helped very much so that we got the chance at all to build "Blue Fire".

Inside B: And how did you manage to convince your family, Mr. Mack?
Michael Mack: I did definitely not go to my father to say: I have a great idea and now I will do that! This was a long and difficult process. Because of my many years of presence in Waldkirch, my family surely thought: Michael is on site, we have confidence in him and he has confidence in his people. It also was not like that Mr. Elverfeldt and I have leaded one year Mack Rides and suddenly wanted to build "Blue Fire". Before that, there was the whole technical development with a changeover of the production process. We have developed quieter and more comfortable track rails. This has ultimately convinced the family and showed us that we can it still better. "Blue Fire" is a milestone for us - for me and the Mr. von Elverfeldt, but also for the entire family Mack and the Europa-Park. For me it is also a personal milestone, as on "Blue Fire" I proposed marriage to my wife.

Inside B: Oh, how beautiful!
Michael Mack: Right?

Inside B: Europa-Park is a showcase for the company Mack Rides. As a customer you can try the newest attractions by Mack there. Do that your customers this way?
Michael Mack: Ideally, yes. That's how it works.
Christian von Elverfeldt: Because of that we love it to build the latest attractions at Europa-Park. We have the possibility of inviting our customers there. During the day they can test the rides and in the evening they will have dinner in the hotel and fun at the bar. Then they like to come. In addition, we can demonstrate the experience of ride operation. This is worth a lot and also convinces most of the customers, who buy attractions for their parks.

Inside B: You do not just build rides, but you also develop ideas for the design of parks.
Michael Mack: We assign the design department at Europa-Park "Mack Solutions". The market for area design is big, and there are many competitors. Previously, our design department was only responsible for Europa-Park, but even then it was a selling point for our customers. Because they see that we have the expertise to integrate roller coasters into a concept. This is a huge advantage. We are the world's only family that is ride constructor, park operator and theming designer. This expertise is not found anywhere else in the world.
Christian von Elverfeldt: But you have to see, that existing theme and amusement parks usually have their own designers.
Michael Mack: But only the big ones. The little ones less.
Christian von Elverfeldt: Yes, that's true. But especially all that want to build a completely new park, like to fall back on our experience and advice.

Inside B: You are benefiting enormously from the love to pleasure of the people. How many loopings does a person need?
Michael Mack: I do not think we needs a lot. We work certainly not in a "higher, faster, stronger" way.

Inside B: And how many loops you tolerate?
Michael Mack: I grab a few. Since I'm quite resistent. But I do not need loopings to say: Now I'm happy! Its important to me that a ride has a theme and is well integrated.
Christian von Elverfeldt: I agree with Mr. Mack. If a ride tells a beautiful story, it needs no loops. That are the things, we are focussing on at Mack Rides. We want to provide the family ride. Everyone should have fun with it.

Inside B: Where are the limits in the development of new theme park attractions?
Michael Mack: There are not really limits. The question is: How far will you go?
Christian von Elverfeldt: The most important point is that the rides attract both: The six-year-olds and the 70-year-old people.

Inside B: And what are the trends in the amusement park industry?
Michael Mack: The park has to be an experience for the whole family.
Christian von Elverfeldt: A feel-good feeling at all levels must be created. Many customers who build new parks do often not understand this. They mean that they have to build huge coasters that create a marketing effect. But that does not work. For example, Abu Dhabi: The Ferrari-Park there has very poor visitor numbers. Although there are great rides, but they satisfy only the addiction to speed. But they do not satisfy the sense of family. Essential for the future will also be the quality of the whole attractions. For many of our customers we are not reinventing a ride, but resupply already existing rides. We don't have to forget: The rides must run every day, year after year. What a stress for them!

Inside B: Mr. Mack, a water park for Europa-Park is already longer in discussion. When will it finally come?
Michael Mack: There are plans. But it was never our philosophy, to grow rapidly. With the new hotel "Bell Rock" and the wooden roller coaster "Wodan" we are driving a high € 60 million investment. And these millions want to be used good at once. These projects took the whole strength of the family at the moment, so that we can't give a definite date for the water park.

Inside B: And, what can we expect Europa-Park to be in 2030?
Michael Mack: Europa Park will develop even more to a short-travel destination. There are many options. In particular development in the direction of motorway A5: At first maybe the water park, on the other hand even more overnight accommodations in the style of a "Center Parcs" resort, for example, with wooden houses. Also, a "Pleasure Village" is thinkable, a mini village with bars, where you can enjoy the evening outside of the park. We will work on that for sure, to stay as the best park in the world - I say this with conviction.

Inside B: If you look at this beautiful magic world that you have created for the customer. Is in this empire of Mack's any place for humility and gratitude, when you stroll through the park today?
Michael Mack: I think at first of the great entrepreneurial achievement of my ancestors. And I have the utmost respect towards my grandfather, my father, and to those employees who have participated and believed in the Mack family. This is more than a business. This is true for Waldkirch, as well as for Rust. We think Europa Park for seven days in a week and so does also Mack Rides. This can be seen from Mr. Elverfeldt. He is not only a CEO who gets his monthly salary. Our relationship has increased in recent years - he was even my best man.

Inside B: Your grandfather once said: The strength of the family is the cohesion. Are there moments in which this is more of a curse than a blessing family-owned businesses?
Michael Mack: In every family there are ups and downs. Maybe you know that well from your own family. Of course there are moments, when we discuss emotional, or where a clearer separation between business and private is desired. But I'm grown up like this. And for me it is still the family business, that is the best and most efficient business in the world. Other park operators, for example, build rides on their budget. And when the money runs out, they will stop the construction site. We are somewhat more the small home builder who says: And this corner has to be more beautiful, because here we want to be comfortable for the next 30 years. In this way we also build rides.

Inside B: That means you do not plan in a quarterly basis, as it is usual in normal corporations?
Christian von Elverfeldt: No, not at all. After a few years of experience I can say: For me it was the best idea to come here and work in the company Mack. In a family you can take for example the phone in your hand, discussing something - and certainly times louder - but it always leads to a result. And it's nice when the family has a good relationship and I can say: It's all about the matter and we want to bring the company forward. This is constructive. Of course we do make mistakes, we are finally human. This philosophy is exemplified by the Mack family. This is a huge advantage.

Inside B: You already sound like a real Mack.
Christian von Elverfeldt: Absolutely. I'll write soon this name after my name.

Basic Personal Data: Michael Mack
Michael Mack is equity holder of the family business, Mack Rides in Waldkirch. Previously, the 33-year-old leaded with Christian von Elverfeldt the operational business. In 2007, they developed "Blue Fire", the first looping-coaster by Mack. Michael Macks hobbies include golf and hockey. Since 2010 he has been married to his wife Miriam and is father of son Paul (20 months).

Basic Personal Data: Christian von Elverfeldt
Since 2005, Christian von Elverfeldt is managing director at Mack Rides in Waldkirch. Previously, he worked in various industries, including at Pricewaterhousecoopers for the renovation of enterprises. In his free time the 51-year-old likes to spend to be away from the hustle and bustle of the leisure park in the forest while hunting. From Elverfeldt is married and father of four children, Clemens (20), Hubert (17), Paulina (15) and Cecilia (10).

DragonMarty said:
Inside B: Mr. Mack, Mr. Elverfeldt, the summer Olympics in London are starting soon. For the winter games in Sochi in 2014 you are rebuilding the looping roller coaster "Blue Fire" there. Is Russia a new territory for Mack Rides?
Christian von Elverfeldt: Sochi will be our initial project in Russia and we hope for follow-up orders to open this market for us.
Michael Mack: There are amusement parks from the Soviet era, but they are still not modern. Such a modern park will now be built. "Blue Fire" will be the most beautiful and most modern ride in that country.

Brilliant news, great to get the absolute 100% confirmation on that project. This will make up for Olympia Looping not being in London this year! "Blue Fire will be the most beautiful and modern ride in that country." Ahh! Yes it will.

DragonMarty said:
For me it is also a personal milestone, as on "Blue Fire" I proposed marriage to my wife.

Ladies & gentleman, Michael friggin' Mack. :D

DragonMarty said:
In an interview with Iunia Mihu and Bjorn Lange revealed both of them, why it is allowed to be a bit rude and how Europa Park will look like in 2030.

Can't wait to read that bit, salivating at the thought to be honest! Thankyou so much for doing that for us DragonMarty, we really all appreciate it! <3

What a fascinating read. The differences between Europa-Park's ethos and that of parks within Merlin Entertainments are profound.

:p

The interview translation is now complete. I don't know if I want to be in the place of Michael. It sounds there is no life beside from the business.

I found this very strange:
Christian von Elverfeldt: Absolutely. I'll write soon this name after my name.

In the original German text it sounds like he really want to change his name to "Elverfeldt Mack" or something like that. In the English translation this is more figuratively. Or maybe it was a joke. ;)

A fascinating read, thanks for the translation.

It seems clear from that interview that the Mack family (and everyone else at EP) truly understand what it takes to make an amazing park. Their philosophy is a breath of fresh air - it really couldn't be further from the cynical corporate environment the Merlin parks are tied to.

Thankyou so much for the translation DragonMarty!

So what have we learnt...

• Waterpark planned
  • Center Parcs style log cabin accommodation planned
  • Downtown Disney-esque area, with bars, shops and restaurants planned
  • Possibly a new water ride for 2014 (maybe a twist'n'splash?)

Also, it's becoming clear now that Michael is the main heir to the business. Presumably they will resemble the situation like it is now, with Michael taking on a Roland-esque leadership role and Thomas a more Jürgen-esque background role. I'd like to see them share the helm, but everything at the moment seems to be setting Michael up as the future commander-in-chief!

I think we will see 2014 only the enchanted forest ride at europa.

The rumour of the waterpark i hear now at least for 8 years ... :-\

The business roles have changed from Roland / Jürgen to their sons Micheal / Thomas.