• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013: General Discussion

Quetzal said:
Can I ask how Oblivion's operations have been altered this year?

It started towards the end of last year. They tend to only open the air gates when the majority of guests have left the offload platform. Then before the staff check the restraints they have to do a "OK" sign to the other host on the other side of the platform, then they both check restraints. It also doesnt help at the moment that there are staff training.

Some of the operations today were quite frankly awful. They are going to have to do a big review of operations before the park gets busier after The Smiler opens in my opinion. Guests will not be happy in long slow moving queues.

:)

Rob said:
Some of the operations today were quite frankly awful. They are going to have to do a big review of operations before the park gets busier after The Smiler opens in my opinion. Guests will not be happy in long slow moving queues.

Apparently people don't mind queues so i wouldn't hold your breath!

I can see throughputs continuing to drop as Merlin believe customer service comes before throughputs and H&S seem to hate the idea of people not spending their whole day stood in one.

.... how wrong can they be!

DiogoJ42 said:
It's all a ploy to sell more fastracks if you ask me.

I thought that too but FastTrack quota's have been reduced this year, i genuinely think Merlin just believe that guests don't mind being stood in queues. They clearly don't read their attractions Facebook pages.

Customer service is indeed essential. However personally I see good throughputs are part of good customer service when in a theme park. I've found the operations of rides so frustrating at Towers this year, Oblivion and Thirteen in particular. It's a real shame as it hasn't really been a big problem at Towers in the past.

From my experience today, I don't think some of the staff could be trusted to tell the difference between their bottom and their elbow. Let alone manage the proper running of a roller coaster.

Oblivion was dire. Stood waiting for the hosts trying to persuade someone to ride, when they didn't want to. Ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that we were sat on the brakes while two shuttles were in the station, along with two on the transfer track and another in front of us, with none actually on the main ride section for 2/3 minutes. That's unacceptable, especially on the highest throughput ride on park.

EDIT: Oh yes, Thirteen. 3 trains, great? Nope, two were being run empty. I don't care what the reason is, cycling empty trains past waiting guests is unacceptable. If it's a weight issue, sandbag half the train.

Ironically, the Dark Forest scaffold tunnel of eternal despair wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting.

The other managers need to grow a pair and stand up to this H&S fascism.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Th13teen is a wheel issue, they need to warm them up at the moment as it stalls otherwise. I would guess the queue wasn't huge if they where cycling trains.

Dear the gentle and indeed the kind folk of towersstreet.

I am going to AT on the 30th october.(i wont ask anyone if it will be busy i aint fussed its scarefest) My only concern is before when ive gone ive always either gone for the day or stayed in AT hotel. So ive never ever been around the local area. Ive already been recommended to stay at the chain oak b&b (by this forumn thank you) my next question is are there any good places to eat away from the theme park but to far away. Ive looked on trip advisor but i take everything on trip advisor with a pinch of salt (as it seems that people just hate coperate and love little places)

Love and hugs
SlugJC

For different reasons I had a phenomenally great day yesterday, one of those rare magical moments of theme park brilliance thanks to The Sanctuary, perhaps my favourite ever attraction at Towers bar Nemesis.

If that had not have happened though, I would be ripping into the place for yesterday - it was awful. Being shunted all round the park to find something open during ERT (Skyride being closed didn't help, not that I use it - but it is the PRINCIPLE PEOPLE!! PRINCIPLE!! ;) - wind obviously though) and eventually just waiting in Dark Forest to even OPEN, then Rita and Th13teen playing up, the dispatch on Rita just seemed a joke to us - everything was so slow! Must have been 9:50 before we got on a ride, that's pretty disgusting.

I didn't even bother with Oblivion given what everyone has been saying lately - and I am glad I didn't by the sounds of it.

I have to say, that is the worst I have ever experienced on park and even my diminutive little family member was pointing obvious things out repeatedly, as were other members of the public around. That is when you know it's bad.

No idea what is happening, but the one thing that is usually bang on at Towers is they get their rides working well, and staff are great. Felt more like THORPE yesterday on a bad day.

I have no doubt there will be reasons for it, but they've been open a full month now - and yesterday wasn't exactly rammed, but it felt it at times!

Most popular, and well run attraction presently at Towers closed yesterday. Even Berry Bish Bash broke down, and all the balls got stuck in a cannon so it was more like a treasure hunt.

Yesterday was all about The Sanctuary closing day for me, and that is why I am not all that fussed, if it had been like that on a "normal" day though I'd have been seething by the end of it.

Dave said:
Th13teen is a wheel issue, they need to warm them up at the moment as it stalls otherwise. I would guess the queue wasn't huge if they where cycling trains.

Couldn't they get some under-track heaters like Air and Infusion at PBBPBPBPBP? I just don't understand why they had three trains on the track while only loading one? :p

Oblivion seemed to be swarming with staff that were just buzzing about the station, looking like they were just there for show! :p

Slugjc said:
Dear the gentle and indeed the kind folk of towersstreet.

I am going to AT on the 30th october.(i wont ask anyone if it will be busy i aint fussed its scarefest) My only concern is before when ive gone ive always either gone for the day or stayed in AT hotel. So ive never ever been around the local area. Ive already been recommended to stay at the chain oak b&b (by this forumn thank you) my next question is are there any good places to eat away from the theme park but to far away. Ive looked on trip advisor but i take everything on trip advisor with a pinch of salt (as it seems that people just hate coperate and love little places)

Love and hugs
SlugJC

During Beach Party, a few of us went for lunch at the Blacksmiths Arms. It's the big pub on the corner as you turn right over the weird double junction in Alton, if you're coming in from Uttox direction. It was really rather nice, nice atmosphere and nice, decently priced food!

I'd second that - The Blacksmiths Arms was brilliant when we went. Great food, great service, and well priced :)

Plus they have a selection of Towers themed beers :p

They tend to start with all 3 trains on the system rather than hold up the queue later on by adding another. When we rode in the morning it was pretty much walk on even only loading 1 train. They were loading 2 trains when it first opened, then dropped to 1 after shifting the initial queue but went back to full capacity when the park got busy enough.

Dar said:
Dave said:

Couldn't they get some under-track heaters like Air and Infusion at PBBPBPBPBP? I just don't understand why they had three trains on the track while only loading one? :p

They originally fixed the issue by installing the variable trims, but this season it seems to be an issue again. I wonder if they have replaced the wheel compounds or the bearings and its running slow on some of the trains.

Is it not still the case that they can only have a minimum of 18 guests with trims on, but maximum of 2 guests with trims off?

Just presumed it was, otherwise it would've been a coincidence that they waited for precisely 18 guests before sending my train the other week.

thefatone said:
Is it not still the case that they can only have a minimum of 18 guests with trims on, but maximum of 2 guests with trims off?

Just presumed it was, otherwise it would've been a coincidence that they waited for precisely 18 guests before sending my train the other week.

I think things have got more complex since last season, not sure why though other than a train vally'ed during the John Lewis day.