• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013 park map

I don't get why the map needs to be a perfect representation? It's not like the park is impossible to navigate without one. There is plenty of signage everywhere and numerous information points across the park.

The map is, and should be a fun, abstract representation that emphasis's the fun and excitement of the park. Which is does perfectly. What a GPS accurate map? Download TowersGuide to your mobile!

Also, to correct a few incorrect statements already posted. There is a path leading into X Sector. X Sector is located to the side of the Towers, not behind them, so the location on the map is accurate.

Thing is, the average guest does use the map, as, well, a map.

I use park maps when I visit parks I've never been to before.

It's not so much about it being a perfect representation. It's about being able to give a general sense of how to navigate around the park and where the areas in general are located.

I think the maps about are opposite extremes, the 2005/2006/2007 maps makes the park look completely empty and bland, yet the 2011/2012/2013 maps make the park look cluttered and its unreadable.

I think this is why many people like the 2008/2009/2010 maps because they are in the middle of the above, they are easy to read and follow yet make the park look aesthetically pleasing and exciting

Interesting....could there be a correlation between how good the map is and how 'magical' the park was that year?

2005-7 we had those crappy Habbo maps and those were the dark years, then Merlin took over in 2008 and we got a redesigned map and the park seemed to improve. Then they changed it to that dreadful style in 2011 and it turned out to be a terrible year...and 2012 not much better. Hmmm...

OK, maybe I think too much :p

Genuine question... The map has been more or less the same for a couple of years now - has anyone noticed people getting lost because of the map? Just curious.

Withnail said:
Genuine question... The map has been more or less the same for a couple of years now - has anyone noticed people getting lost because of the map? Just curious.

I've witnessed several groups of people looking at their 'leader' with the map turning around in circles and looking puzzled, before eventually asking another member of the public if they know the way to a given attraction on some occasions. Just my experience.

I have pointed many people in the right direction.

the most memorable one was a father of a family swearing in welsh about the map, my welsh speaking mate invited them to tag along as we were heading from FV to DF too. they were a nice family from just outside Aberystwyth. I spent most of the time in thirteen's queueline chatting to the lad in the family about alton and the coasters.

I've had a few people ask me where certain areas/rides are (when they've been holding the map in front of them), I've some people that have asked for directions and also commented on the map being 'a waste of time' and I've seen a fair few guests asking staff for directions or wandering into the gardens (which seems pretty common).

The worrying thing is that a lot of people on this forum have seen/had the same too.

Oh aye there is several lost people. We even rescued one couple we found lost in the bottom of the Valley :p Yes there IS a bit of a walk between DF and FV :p

Utterly, utterly useless map

Personally a bit let down by the new map. Should of gone for a totally fresh look as opposed to a slight revamp of the previously one.

To me the smiler feels crammed into the corner as an after thought. And poor oblivion is almost totally obscured! Which is a bit odd seeing as its one of the headline rides at the resort! Oh and it's still backwards!

The rest of the map seems ok to me if I'm honest. Gives a fairly good idea that air and Rita aren't next to each other and the size of the gardens ( ie they guardians appear smaller because of the distance). Still WAY to much space given to the hotels though, in terms of scare the map looks like the hotel area is as big as about half the park itself! When obviously it's to

Have to say the funniest map moment I have seen was the group walking down the woodland walk towards the hotels saying "The map says Th13teen is this way"

I usually see people lost near the haunted hollow, or the path that runs next to the haunted hollow towards forbidden valley.

I have just been comparing last years to this years in the Sun, and basicly everything at the bottom right has been completely squashed in size.
- Sonic has lost half its ride
- Oblivion has lost most of its drop, station and track
- The farm is now tiny
- Fried chicken co is now hidden
- Frog hopper is fairly hidden.

I really thought they would totally redesign the map this year to expand the whole of X-Sector, instead they have just shoved it in between what was already there.

Lazy, lazy, LAZY.

A secret weapon year is always the perfect opportunity to update the map series. They did in 1994, 1998, 2002 and even for Rita in 2005 but Th13teen was the first time they didn't bother.

I don't understand why the hotels take up so much space on the map. The aren't exactly accessible in park, so it seems weird that they are quite prominant.

AshleeKel said:
I don't understand why the hotels take up so much space on the map. The aren't exactly accessible in park, so it seems weird that they are quite prominant.
Marketing

By having them there it makes guests aware that the Hotels exist and that they should consider a return visit to take advantage of them. I agree that a park the size of Alton should not be wasting room with the Hotels but apparently having them there does increase peoples awareness of them so they stay (and continue to get larger).

I think once we see the finished glossy park map that may change. Every year they release the map in the sun I always think it looks dull and lacks colour but the real thing is usual a little brighter.

Im waiting for people to be looking for Smiler in the farm. HILARIOUS.

This will make me sound really demanding but The Smiler in my eyes at least should have meant a brand new map design. I can't think of a reason not to?!

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Lazy, lazy, LAZY.
It's not really Alton Towers being lazy, since they don't even make the map; they commission professional graphics firms to do it and are probably on a three-year contract. Obviously they would brief the designer on what they want, so they exaggerated style is down to Alton Towers, but the overall look of the map is determined by the company. They have still had to contact the graphics company to update their old design, so they aren't being lazy by not bothering to do anything.

And they've done a great job. Previous maps have had so little detail or characteristic representation that you wonder if the artist had ever been to Alton Towers. Whereas now you are constantly noticing little details they have hidden and it feels less sterile. This is definitely one of my favourite maps, although I liked the trilogy from 2008-2010 slightly better because of the variation of colours each year.

It seems most people on here dislike it because they expect others to be confused, not because they are confused themselves. Empathy is good but I think the guests complain enough themselves! I just enjoy the brilliant artwork.