• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: Family Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Moshi Monsters are a no no! As a mather of fact, any IP is a no no!

Alot of theme parks now are so obsessed with IP attractions and themed areas. Drayton, Blackpool, Chessington, Pullands to name some. Alton has two IP rides, do we really need anymore?

We need to go back to a time where Alton Towers used its imagination to create some amazing rides and areas. Haunted House, Katanga canyon, Nemesis, Toyland Tours, Oblivion and so on. Even, the Smiler and it's Marmaliser was pretty amazing, so Merlin can do it!

Alton Towers should take a risk and go for counter marketing. An old fastioned childrens areas, modernised and updated for todays kids and yesterdays kids. Old timeless childrens stories that stand the test of time. Perhaps a Europa Park's Enchanted Forest equivalent in a UK park, like Alton towers. The best place for it with it's settings. Focus much more of the budget on theming and retheme alot of the existing rides.

Oh, and love of god please get a Mack YoungSTAR Coaster!

and off topic thought I would say hi, since I'm new here! :)

ImUrNemeis said:
and off topic thought I would say hi, since I'm new here! :)

Welcome to the forum :)

If you like Mack rides then you will fit right in :D

As for IP's, prepare for an IP. But it might be ok, certainly i hope it wont be American!

Dave said:
Don't worry Moshi Monsters isn't going to be the IP.

Though it did great for Towers at Feb half-term

This seems to imply you know what it will be...?

This time last year it was rumoured that that the 2014 project had a large budget (can't remember the exact amount rumoured but am sure was around £8m) do we still think this is the case as following from the £18m smiler, Merlin normally invest very little ie less than £1m if anything after such a major investment. I know apart from Lego parks Alton seem to be the only park that's getting ok investment between Major investment years but how much do we think they will actually spend in 2014?

Unless the IP they have chosen has the potential to be as big as Thomas land/Peppa pig world and drive a big increase in young families, drive big merchandise sales and also hotel stays with people wanting to visit from far and wide like they do with Thomas land and Merlin are happy to invest a decent amount.

It is probably the case that Towers haven't really invested in anything for young children in quite some time, We have had Smiler, TH13TEEN and Sub-Terra all in the past few years, none of which appeal to younger children, the only one is Ice Age last year which is aimed at kids.

So Towers and Merlin probably known they are losing a lot of customers to the likes of Drayton Manor because of Thomas Land.

It is interesting because the park's marketing since Merlin took over has been heavily family orientated, putting a big emphasis on the resort side of things but actually there has almost been no investment at all in proper family and children's rides during this period.

Heave Ho is the only new kiddie ride they have put in.

There last attempt at family was the year of failure (2011), so the cycle skipped a bit. They desperately need a good family area though. Hopefully that will be addressed over the next few years if this project is good.

I'll take a guess at something like Rupert the Bear for this family IP development.

Though the modern animation doesn't look much better than the animated Peter Rabbit and Friends, Rupert is yet another classic British cartoon that generations stretching back to the 1920's have grown up with and it's still popular today.

I like it, my parents like it, my grand parents like it and I know many kids like it too, thanks to the fact that the character has regularly updated over the years to continue to appeal to the next generation.

tumblr_m9szq5z5xb1r573sro1_500.jpg

Though I'd still be sad to see Storybook Land go, something like Rupert could work and I don't think the area's charm would take such a significant blow as if it were to be themed to something as tawdry and cheap as Moshi Monsters. Moshi Monsters is a fad that will die at once the next big thing appears, so investing millions in something like that should have happened as soon as it became popular, rather than years after millions of kids have already been playing it.

I mean you only have to watch the opening credits of the modern incarnation of Rupert to see opportunities for various attractions. Take this tree house that could easily be made by retheming Squirrel Nutty slightly:

Rupert1_zps8fe7e152.jpg

The flying car could be a ride similar to the Ug Bugs, or it could be the theme for the Squirrel Nutty cars instead. There's a shot with it in front of Rupert's house too (which could also be built by retheming the story area:

Rupert2_zps71872a94.jpg

And how can anyone not picture him walking around the front of the park:

rupertbear.jpg

If Alton Towers don't use that IP, it would surprise me if nobody else wanted to! :p

True, but thankfully it wouldn't be bad in the form of theme park attractions (I'm trying to picture a relatively similar style to what theming Storybook Land already has :p ). That is unless they decide to stick TVs everywhere. :/

If we have to have an IP I'd love to see Fireman Sam or Postman Pat? Both would be so well suited in that they share the generation gap that Thomas the Tank Engine does. Both have huge pull with young boys and girls alike and both have been re-imagined loads but still hold their appeal!

I'll admit, that CGI Rupert doesn't look too bad. At least it has its own unique art style.

If it's popular with the kids, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Just spotted an old photo on Towers Times of Rupert the Bear stood outside of the entrance to Alton Towers' old Parrot Show that ran from 1980 to 1988:

parrots0002.jpg

So it seems that Alton Towers have had experience with this IP before. If I was a gambling man, I'd consider putting money on this being an IP that the park have at least considered. :p

BigAl said:
Just spotted an old photo on Towers Times of Rupert the Bear stood outside of the entrance to Alton Towers' old Parrot Show that ran from 1980 to 1988:

parrots0002.jpg

So it seems that Alton Towers have had experience with this IP before. If I was a gambling man, I'd consider putting money on this being an IP that the park have at least considered. :p

That's TERRIFYING! :eek:

Indeed! I should imagine that if Rupert does return to the park, he won't be quite as... well... that! :p

I usually turn my nose up at these re-imaginings of children's classics, but I actually think that new Rupert looks really cute (if slightly too babyish) I haven't watched it but it does look like it's dropped into the lower age bracket for the audience.

I think they would need something aimed at children a little older. Something that older kids wouldn't feel embarrassed to like, and younger kids would feel 'cool' enjoying, even if it was a little too old for them. I'm not sure what would fit this category though.

I think Fireman Sam and Postman Pat are both a little young, but then again if Thomas Land is doing so well it seems it wouldn't matter.

With classic children's IPs like this, you have the massive benefit of parents recognising and hopefully approving of it, even if it is through their nostalgia-glasses!

That image is easily the most disturbing thing I have ever seen in my life. Including while under the influence of hallucinogenic substances.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.