• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: Family Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Could they even afford Pokemon? They can't really afford another 2011 and for their plans to fall-through because they haven't made good enough plans for whatever IP it is this time that they want to pursue. Also it's apparently a British IP that Alton Towers are either going for, so Pokemon doesn't seem likely (though it'd probably work as an area in a Nintendo theme park - something that someone should do :p ).

:)

Does anyone actually know if the family development is still happening? I wouldn't be surprised if it was cancelled so they could spend another year marketing The Smiler due to its late opening.

I can see the IP being a multitude of TV shows. A bit like Nickelodeon Land in Blackpool. That worked brilliantly for BPB and suited their family market perfectly. Alton Towers could easily follow in there foot steps and create something similar. Cartoon Network Land, CITV Land, Cbeebies Land... all possibilities in my eyes.

The problem with a single IP is that it needs to be one with a lot that can be played around with - and you have the main problem for the IP dying out pretty quickly or not allowing the park to create new exciting rides/attractions. By having, say, CITV as the partner it would allow for Alton Towers to keep the 'IP area' for as long as they like with the flexibility for the area to have new re-themes and rides/attractions based around new shows that are highly popular. It have have a longer life.

Of course I could be wrong. They may have a particular TV show in mind (or film for that matter) however looking at the long term I think something that allows several things to be created would have a more positive effect on the area. Who knows though, anything could happen really.

Max said:
Does anyone actually know if the family development is still happening? I wouldn't be surprised if it was cancelled so they could spend another year marketing The Smiler due to its late opening.

There's been no rumours of it being dropped - and as far as I'm aware the last I heard of 2014 was that it's still planned to go ahead.

Marketing wise they can still market The Smiler next year, just have it as more of backdrop advertising to draw in the thrill guests, with the 2014 area being the more prominent ppiece of advertising.

With the lodge plans dropped I can see Alton pushing for the 2014 area as they are in dire need of something new for the family market.

Whatever it is it has to be a 'naturalistic' theme so the existing areas don't require ripping out completely.

Otherwise it will be too similar to CCL.

Not sure anyone has spotted our news article today about Santa Sleepovers but it mentions the farm not opening for the Xmas 2013 season.

Hmmm.

Could this weekends event be a test for what next year's family development is going to be? Strange that this is the first I have heard of this event, but oh well.

Link

I think this could work, and would be a interesting brand to have on park, as it would compliment the rooms available at the hotel?

Ian

This would make sense as you said it matches the themed hotel rooms of this. Not sure how they could theme a whole area of the park with this one, don't think it would be very easy!

Something I noticed in a Guardian article concerning The Wombles:

"We have plans for two new 26-part TV series, a feature-length movie and an interactive Womble World experience," announced Batt.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/aug/09/wombles-film-tv-theme-park

We know the 2014 development is a British IP. The Wombles, in all honesty, are quite appealing, and could attract families that grew up with them as well as kids currently watching it. Combined with a relaunch, this could work.

Obviously, there's no indication that they are indeed talking about Towers. But taking what we know into consideration, there's always that possibility.

AshleeKel said:

"We have plans for two new 26-part TV series, a feature-length movie and an interactive Womble World experience," announced Batt.

We know the 2014 development is a British IP. The Wombles, in all honesty, are quite appealing, and could attract families that grew up with them as well as kids currently watching it. Combined with a relaunch, this could work.

Obviously, there's no indication that they are indeed talking about Towers. But taking what we know into consideration, there's always that possibility.

I think it's more likely to be for Pleasure Island's planned 4D cinema for next year, especially by the wording. I highly doubt they'll go for the Wombles as an IP, it's just not popular enough.

Alastair said:
AshleeKel said:

I think it's more likely to be for Pleasure Island's planned 4D cinema for next year, especially by the wording. I highly doubt they'll go for the Wombles as an IP, it's just not popular enough.

But isn't that the trick with park IPs? I remember Wardley talking about this before, saying how it's all well and good going with something popular now, but by the time you've done all the planning, and actually built the thing so much time can have passed that you've completely missed the boat, and have a very expensive, unappealing area.

Parks need to look ahead to predict where things may be in the future. The Wombles may not be immensely popular right now, but this upcoming relaunch could do big things for the brand. Just look at the likes of Dr Who. A program which left TV years ago, to be relaunched years later. Now it's a vastly successful brand, appealing to both the older generations who grew up with the show, as well as introducing new people to the brand, and making them loyal fans.

Obviously, I'm not saying that The Wombles is what I expect to see, though good find Ashlee! However, upcoming relaunches etc can be a good hint of things to come I'd say. Networks and studios wouldn't relaunch a program for the sake of it, unless they expected to see some return or impact.

Ian said:
Alastair said:
AshleeKel said:

But isn't that the trick with park IPs? I remember Wardley talking about this before, saying how it's all well and good going with something popular now, but by the time you've done all the planning, and actually built the thing so much time can have passed that you've completely missed the boat, and have a very expensive, unappealing area.

Parks need to look ahead to predict where things may be in the future. The Wombles may not be immensely popular right now, but this upcoming relaunch could do big things for the brand. Just look at the likes of Dr Who. A program which left TV years ago, to be relaunched years later. Now it's a vastly successful brand, appealing to both the older generations who grew up with the show, as well as introducing new people to the brand, and making them loyal fans.

Obviously, I'm not saying that The Wombles is what I expect to see, though good find Ashlee! However, upcoming relaunches etc can be a good hint of things to come I'd say. Networks and studios wouldn't relaunch a program for the sake of it, unless they expected to see some return or impact.

I see what you mean, but I don't feel that it has enough potential to be as popular as some other possible IP's; even with a rebranded series. Its name and stereotype is inherently dated and doesn't strike you as being "cool" or something kids would actually want to watch.

Reading through this thread to many ideas are being dismissed as not being cool enough with the kids. What we need to remember is this is being aimed at families like Thomas Land is, i.e somewhere parents/grandparents can take the young children.Really once they get 8 and above you have Mutiny bay and Katanga canyon added to possible rides for them. The way I look at it you could have the Wombles, Roald Dahl or even Betrix Potter land as parents like to pass down their childhood and all 3 brands are relevant to the parents era. Also with these I.Ps they open up better to wider choice of merchandise for children and adults a like. Ultimately for the younger market you need a long standing I.P that already crosses the generations so parents can feel included and pass on their childhood memories to their children.

Also thinking on The Wombles as I write if they are being relaunched may this give Merlin a chance to get it on the cheap initially to help with the launch. If you think about it all the extra advertising it could get through its partnership with AT, could even have a cafe with episodes playing in the background. It would also have gone with the lodges in the ground.

Nothing Scarefest based in the Farm this year. I think we'll be losing the Farm rather soon.

There were rumours of the theme going around and this tweet from Bottletop adds more weight to those rumours:

vks2.png

Thoughts?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.